BO15 All Downhill

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
index.php

O.J. It looks so cool. Don't know if my parts stash is up to the challenge. So chrome wheels and gum wall semi knobbies, indeed probably any chrome is OUT?

Gusset everything! Definitely on the chain guide/tensioner

Flashy paint is always good. Downhill for me has a special place. I love hitting big stuff and hucking jumps, but this is my favorite downhill

Yeah if the springs are right, those forks are great. Gonna be so cool with the Renthal bars. Looks like the steerer is plenty long too. And Marz is not too hard to find parts if the seals are leaky.
Are you planning on keeping all the rings on the crank?

Special thanks to
Karate Chicken Industries
for these Kool Key Komponents!
(I think OddJob and GuitarlCarl are gettin' to me!)
IMG_2603.JPG

Marzocchi bomber 2001 model. Forks with awesome looks and 9" long steerer!

IMG_2605.JPG

The bridge has a "M" shape, how awesome is that!

IMG_2600.JPG

Lasco cf-43 crankset.
Are you planning on keeping all the rings on the crank?
IDK have not mocked it up yet. Not planning on more than 1 ring. But I like the fake hex bolt rivet holding it together so who knows? On downhill bikes, appearance is everything.

IMG_2594.JPG

Bontrager stem.

Now too get too building.

That Bomber lived on The Freak frame for its whole active life from 2001 to 2011. A friend of mine called that Italian-made beauty "magical" because it stood up to my 5+ day a week trail riding habit (shared with a couple of other bikes) for ten years, with zero maintenance. I dunno, maybe the Chris King Rasta headset protected it with a little Jah. If that fork could tell stories of the places it's been...

111904 018.jpg

The light really made the saddle look purple vinyl in this pic to me. Maybe it's the fish curry talking to me.

1589683185198.png

Attachments

• 1589683196963.png
    1589683196963.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 85
Tossing around different ideas about a lower neck gusset. Then Yesterday I woke up with an idea. Cut a chunk of tube from a crappy NEXT bike, and just whipped this baby up!
IMG_2636.JPG

and just whipped this baby up!
IMG_2629.JPG
IMG_2631.JPG

Not bad metal work for me only have hacksaw, file and bench grinder.
Snug snap fit obtained.
IMG_2628.JPG

Securely welded with my Tractor Supply Wire welder.
IMG_2637.JPG

Hit it with a flap disc and primer, as the sun went down.
IMG_2646.JPG

I like that gusset! Really adds to the beefy frame look of a downhill bike. I just noticed something, there are no brakes on this bike (yet). Maybe when you do the rear brake, you can fashion a big ol oversized brake stiffener to help balance all that is going on up front.

I like your frame mods. It's taking on a life of it's own beyond a standard mtb look~!

Tossing around different ideas about a lower neck gusset. Then Yesterday I woke up with an idea. Cut a chunk of tube from a crappy NEXT bike, and just whipped this baby up!
View attachment 121548
and just whipped this baby up!
View attachment 121549View attachment 121550
Not bad metal work for me only have hacksaw, file and bench grinder.
Snug snap fit obtained.
View attachment 121551
Securely welded with my Tractor Supply Wire welder.
View attachment 121552
Hit it with a flap disc and primer, as the sun went down.
View attachment 121553
Sweet beefy looks! Are you going to put aggressive knobby tires on this one? For me, that always stands out on a downhiller.
Prime it a bit further a you got a WINN ;)

Did some sanding and painting today.
IMG_2654.JPG
IMG_2661.JPG

Sweet beefy looks! Are you going to put aggressive knobby tires on this one? For me, that always stands out on a downhiller.
Prime it a bit further a you got a WINN ;)
Thanks Bart! Unsure of tires as yet. For my usual riding on blacktop or gravel I would probably pick a mild low buzz tread.

Since it is a DH bike, and since you can weld... how about using a front fork to build a rear suspension? Similar to the Shockster. Cut off the shaft, attach the fork to the seat post or seat stays, then fabricate rockers. If you weld only on the fork and bolt it to the bike you would stay in class 1.

Latest posts

Back