RRBBO13 All for FUN - no votes please

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Saw my neighbor riding a Schwinn Varsity in nice shape and we got to talking, his wife has an old cruiser thats in poor shape and a spare mountain bike, after looking them over I brought them home. Theres enough there to make a nice rider.

Perfect timing as Im out of room and kinda bored with my own stuff.
Follow along if you want, nothing groundbreaking here, just a fun build.
20180518_194744.jpg

Blue bike will get built, old Sears with multi speed hub- not working, and dreaded cottered cranks. Ill get more pics if anyone can identify it.
Magna is the donor, rides fine, shifts fine-friction shift falcon 6 speed, good tires and wheels, canti brakes.

That Sears is one of the Austrian built city bikes. Actually pretty well made bike.
HAVE FUN and build something cool!

Moving right along, both bikes stripped, vinegar bath will be done today on all the chrome.

Welded on canti brake post, hanger, and appropriate brake and shift cable hardware.
20180520_103807.jpg

Leaving it raw and burn paint and you can still see some of the donor bike purple, gave it a shot of clear over it. Ratrod.

Got a question for you guys. Im using the new mountain bike fork, the old quill stem will not fit in, were there different quill stem sizes, this is the second time ive run into this.

Got the derailleur hung and cable set up, went to hang the rear wheel and its wobbly. Will have to true it before moving on. Killed my momentum.

Going for a ride.

Dig the melding of two to make a good one.

Yes there are different quill sizes. 'older' american/bmx/ cruiser - 21.1 'newer' road/mtb/ect.- 22.2. Then theres also 25.4

The older the bikes get the more weird sizes you run into. The sears is Austrian built and has a swiss threaded bottom bracket, and a weird size headset. Good bikes though.

Ha ha, we got to the not so fun part of it. Dept store rear rim - this thing is not truing up, get it close and it goes banana again.

Done for the weekend. Time to step away.

Rear fender is on, rear brakes are set up, mtn bike stem is painted silver and on, bars are on, all cables are strung.

Another snag, 1/8" chainring and 3/32 chain. Following with my general aversion to work on cottered cranks, these roll smooth and quiet so theyre staying in the frame.
Ran a 4" angle grinder across the backside of the chainring and slowly brought the chainring width down for a smooth fit with 3/32 chain. Worked well.

20180522_172113.jpg

My other option was going to be cutting off the entire bottom bracket and welding on an american. Glad the chainring thing worked. :21:
Moving on to set up the derailleur.

20180523_191104.jpg

Dont think the chainguard is gonna make it, sliced the back flange off, moved it around. Hits in high gear on the inside, move it over and it hits the cranks. We'll see if the owner uses high gear. Its on for now.

20180523_191045.jpg

20180523_191057.jpg

20180523_191053.jpg

20180523_191117.jpg

20180523_191037.jpg

Front fender sits strange, the axle wasnt long enough for full nut engagement and running the fender mount on it, used the safety hook hole instead.

Riding shifting stopping machine, calling this one done.

Please dont submit any votes, this was just a spur of the moment build, making the best of 2 basically discarded bikes. Now we got a nice rider.

I love it im doing the same idea on my build, i had to buy tires tubes and shifters and brakes :( looks cool i love sears bikes!

Nice change out and update on that bike. It turned out well and looks sharp.

I love it im doing the same idea on my build, i had to buy tires tubes and shifters and brakes :( looks cool i love sears bikes!
Thanks, I saw your build and its looking great, the difference is your using high end components and ita gonna turn out awesome.

I got frustrated a few times on this build using what was there, brakes, rims, derailleur, low end parts dont set up very well.

I've got a black Men's frame with the same "poolstick" decal on the seat tube I think it's awesome. I like what you've got going on.

Carl.

I've got a black Men's frame with the same "poolstick" decal on the seat tube I think it's awesome. I like what you've got going on.
Carl.
Appreciate it, just a quick little build with existing components from the donor. if I come across some v brakes, ill upgrade them for her.
May try to peroxide, powdered laundry soap mix on the seat and grips to see if we can brighten them up.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back