Aluminati (feels like an abandoned amusement park in here!))

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Need assistance.. Any ideas?

have you tried soaking it in CLR?
yep... i did that too. i think someone forced a tube lock that was too large for the tube. i am drilling it out!

Re: Aluminati*SilVeR KinG* TiRes N HuBs!! {I need your help?}

Hey Imagearchy,

Sorry to hear about the stuck seat post. I had a stuck quill stem in my Typhoon fork and spent a month trying to heat, drill, grind... it out.
Finally I brought it to this welder guy who welded the slide hammer end onto the quill. It took a couople of rewelds and some pretty intense hammer blows but it finally came out.

I like the idea of the black spokes. They may match well with the black lettering of the Thick Bricks. Is there going to be any other black on the bike (like grips, seat, pedals, lettering, pinstriping...)? That may help your desicion: What else would the black spokes play off of or contrast with well.

Just my 2 cents.

Looking forward to seeing how it goes together. I really like your bike.

Good luck.

Re: Aluminati*SilVeR KinG* changed my bars! -MuSt have AluMiNuM-

i decided to take a set of bars from another bike to donate to "this conspiracy build" and rid of all steel possible. so here are my new bars I may shorten them about 2" on each side. we will see? Or maybe i will have the grips go up 2" past the ends and riffle drill the ends!
IMG_0286.jpg

Re: Aluminati*SilVeR KinG* PoLiShinG --X-- ThRee

polishing away tonight. 1 down 1 to go.

I sure am glad people have yard sales! or i would have never had a polisher.
IMG_0288.jpg

IMG_0292.jpg

makes a huge difference.....
IMG_0293.jpg

Re: Aluminati*SilVeR KinG* changed my bars! -MuSt have AluMiNuM-

double down! two hubs polished!
IMG_0294.jpg

Now i am waiting for my vintage disc brake caliper, coaster crank and rear sprocket to arrive next week.

Lets just say that i have never seen a bicycle with a braking system like this!
What do these three parts have in common?
Any one going to guess what's to come of this?

Here goes NothiN"

Re: Aluminati*SilVeR KinG* --What's uP WiTh These 3 Parts?--

Great start on both of your bikes. I will be following both builds. Can you tell me what type and grit of polish you used? I just got myself a garage sale buffer. I have no clue on what type of polish to use on Aluminum and possibly chrome. You have great vision, keep it up. Pedal on

Depending on how clean the aluminum is to begin with depends on the method. if it is clean with no scratched or swirls you can get away with just using a white jewelers polishing compound bar. I use Fabulustre brand. if the surface is scratched or gouged its good to start with a 400 grit sandpaper on a DA sander with light pressure. then when that is even change to 800 grit, 1200, 1500 ,2000 grit and then use a red compound bar and then a white bar. hope this helps!

wish all the best for this build. from what i've seen you have the parts for a great bike. love the campy hubs, first class. can't wait to see how it all goes down

Those polished Campy's are nice.

Great meeting you as well,Mick.I'm digging your build.I'd love to come across one of those Monarks. :mrgreen: Especially the way you found yours! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: One of the great things about this addiction is finding super cool stuff for next to nothing.Keep up the good work and let me know if you need anything.

Fast Forward --1/2 of the magic !!--

I picked up my secret weapon from my friend Vince today. he is a big inspiration to custom bike builders around these parts.
8) :?: :idea: :lol:
IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0299.jpg

Re: Aluminati*SilVeR KinG* --1/2 of the magic !!--

If you are still having problems with your stuck seatpost, motopsyco gave me a great piece of advise that worked for me. This was after I tried everything, including a blowtorch and every lubricant known to man (I even broke one of the lag bolts holding my vise to the bench):

"If the post is not too far into the frame (too long) you could try to take a hacksaw blade and try to slit the post from the inside and get it out. It takes a long time and a lot of patience but I have done it twice :shock: Go to step 10 at the page below
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html
Hope this helps
Floyd"

It took about an hour with a hacksaw blade and a lot of patience but worked great. The only thing is that you have to be careful that you don't cut the seatpost.

Re: Aluminati*SilVeR KinG* --1/2 of the magic !!--

the post is out. its the wedge that is stuck still. with the bolt broke off in it still.

Re: Aluminati*SilVeR KinG* --No! Not E-Harmony!!--

"The Perfect Match" have been introduced! Why Shimano didn't do this i have no idea? The parts were sitting on there assembly lines. Has any one seen these two parts (Shimano FF ratcheting sprocket and a Shimano rear disc brake caliper) combined to make my
Sprocket Disc Accelerating Brake System?"design patent pending"
IMG_0302.jpg

Go ? Stop? Go ? Stop? Go ? Stop? Go ? Stop? It can't make up it's mind!
The MadNeSs.....
IMG_0303.jpg

With a little shaving, countersink the hardware, polishing, and fab some new brackets? we will be in business!
IMG_0308.jpg

I will probably play with the location/angle to make it look as factory as possible.

Comprende?

Re: Aluminati*SilVeR KinG* --No! Not E-Harmon !!--

That's pretty sweet 8) So I'm assuming the crank gear is on a freewheel, instead of the rear wheel?

Latest posts

Back