Another Girvin(carbon) attached to a Fat Chance Wicked.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This popped up on CL and I went over to pick it up after work. If he didn't take paypal, I probably would not of had the bike.

The real gem is the frame. It is a Fat Chance- Wicked, handmade in the USA. The seller thinks it is a 1992 , but I have yet to confirm this.
More on Fat Chance from Mombat. http://www.mombat.org/Fat_Chance.htm

The Girvin Pro Carbon fork is pretty cool and seem to work well. I double checked up and down for scratches and cracks and saw none.

The rest of the components have been upgraded over time and some are practically new(wheels w/XT hubs).
Deore XT Hubs,derailers, shifters, cassette.

0405001817-1.jpg

0405001817a.jpg

0405001818.jpg

0405001818a.jpg

0405001818b.jpg

0405001818c.jpg

Thanks for the replies. Jeff from First Flight Bikes just emailed back and said it was a 1989 based off the serial number. I haven't figured out what the plan is yet. I may try to replace the fork with something that matches the original.

PM sent.

Joe

Hooch said:
wow that is so cool!
Coming soon near you. Typhonic part deux

Volunteering at the Boise Bike Project. Gonna look for the replacement fork. The original would of been the typical MTB unicrown. They have one that matches a fork from the Fat Chance Yo Eddy that I may try to score. It has a cool segmented crown.

Just kidding about the Typhonic.

The fork I wanted has a 1 1/8" steertube, so no dice. I will have to use a generic unicrown fork for now. The bike coop just received a beautiful Fat City- Monster Fat a couple a years newer than this one. And I found out that our buddy Kev(clothespin) has a Bright PINK Fat Chance frame.

Are the fork tubes on the wrong sides/switched? it seems to me that your drop outs should be in front of the tubes not behind

Nope that is how they came, It placed the wheel in a better geometric path. The one on my board track project is the older all alloy fork with the chrome springer coilover...Mo in CA

66olds98 said:
Are the fork tubes on the wrong sides/switched? it seems to me that your drop outs should be in front of the tubes not behind
That is how the Girvin forks are. Looks odd but it is normal for them.

TheFlyingDingo said:
I would beg for this thing if it was a 1992...Totally cool
You don't want it anyway. I just figured out the seat post is rusted in the seat tube. The post was cracked and the top clamp was loose from the previous owner trying to leverage on it. I just tried a pipe wrench with a 3 foot cheater bar, since the post was already shot. It didn't work. :x :x :x

I googled the forks, and yes that is how they designed them. Just gives me an odd feeling when I look at them. Must have to do with where the spring is located and how the impact will react with the fork. I guess :roll:

Latest posts

Back