Anyone else planning for BOTEN (RRBBO#10) yet?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why am I even thinking of throwing my name in the hat?!?!?!?!

WAAAAAAY too much creativity/ability/free time on everyone else's part for me to compete!!!!
I participated in my first build off last year. I did not receive one vote…nor did I care. I had a great time, and I love riding that bike. BTW, who's starting at midnight tonight?

SoulGarageOH, are you anywhere near Akron Ohio?

I participated in my first build off last year. I did not receive one vote…nor did I care. I had a great time, and I love riding that bike. BTW, who's starting at midnight tonight?
Yeah me too! Well i got one vote and i was like, whaat?? I think its also about inspiring and pushing each other to the next level! And the time frame makes you finish your bike instead of putting it in the corner of your garage and let it collect dust...[emoji6]

Hey ThatGuy,
There is actually a few bike events that happen around here often. I guess it depends what your interests are.

We have a pretty solid BMX community here in Cleveland/Akron, they have a few meets a year, and more if you go down to Columbus...
The MTB scene is getting bigger now, with the Cuyahoga Valley adding MTB trails this year in a multi phase project, and the roadies have their little spandex party rides every weekend...

It really depends what your into. PM me, I'm in the Akron area.

But enough derailing, I'll be building a few bikes during this time. Not sure what I will be entering. I have 2 frames/bikes posted in the "what is it" area, but I have no clue which I prefer to use.

Baldwooky
Thanks for the info I had no idea!!

Two years ago we were recovering from a serious hail storm during the build off. This year I've recovered from a February back strain, a February hernia surgery, and finally an emergency Coronary Artery stint implant last Sunday. We had the vehicle loaded for a swap meet trip on Sunday but it didn't get out of the driveway.
I have three candidate frames/bikes to consider using. Probably won't get started right out of the gate on the 1st. Mine will be a pretty simple build regardless.
And I thought I was having a bad year. Hope your year gets better and maybe we'll see you in the build off.

Why am I even thinking of throwing my name in the hat?!?!?!?!

WAAAAAAY too much creativity/ability/free time on everyone else's part for me to compete!!!!
I never finished my bike from last year but it got me to work on a bike that I've had planned to build for years. I look at it as an opportunity to get a project started and if i'm lucky, I'll get one finished. That's what the build off is for me.

I'm sitting here waiting for midnight so I can start working on my bike then I realize the people in Europe, and Greece, can already start. That almost doesn't sound fair. ;)

I'm sitting here waiting for midnight so I can start working on my bike then I realize the people in Europe, and Greece, can already start. That almost doesn't sound fair. ;)

Yes but, they have to stop before us as well! [emoji15][emoji1]

The rules are...

1. Cannot have started build before May 1st, 2015.

6. Finished bike photos must be posted in the "Finished Bikes" thread by 10:00 p.m. CST on Sunday, August 2nd, 2015.

Although it doesn't say it, I make the assumption that "May 1st, 2015" is CST (or is it CDT?). Therefore, even though it has been the 1st of May for 12 hours already here in New Zealand, and even if I was chomping at the bit to get started, I wouldn't start until it's the 1st of May in USA.

We all have to stop at the same "time"… 10:00 pm CST. When it's 10 pm on the 2nd of August CST, it'll be 3 pm on the 3rd of August here in NZ.

Anyway, here is a countdown clock to the start…

https://countingdownto.com/countdown/build-off-10-start-01-may-2015-countdown-clock

And here is one for the finish…

https://countingdownto.com/countdown/build-off-10-finish-countdown-clock

Glen.

Here is a rather bad photo of one of the wheels I'm hoping to use on BOTEN.

000_Wheel.jpg

It's from a 1936 Chevrolet and is destined to be on something like this...

chevy-jpg.2854311

Or maybe something like this...

untitqqled-jpg.2857804

But since that project is far off in the distant future, I thought it'd be cool to use the wheels on a bike :D

This will only happen if I manage to sell at least one of the four bikes I currently have for sale. Unfortunately, nobody here locally seems keen and shipping is too expensive. I might have to lower my prices and absorb the freight charges 'cause I'm quite looking forward to using these wheels on BOTEN.

Glen.
You do realize that the Chevy Artillery wheels are worth some serious coin correct? If not(or even if so), send them my way I'd LOVE to stick them on my '31 5 window!

looks like there is going to be quite a few of these kind of builds. my plan too.
I wasn't going to return to the build-off this year. Was looking at some others going on as alternatives. But what the heck. I'm going simple - a few little details, a new paint job and some filing and welding here and there. Planning on having something that I'm going to ride a lot when it's done.

I'm also planning to keep things simple this time. No cutting or welding or one-off parts. Pretty much off the shelf bolt together parts where ever possible (there may be a couple of holes drilled). And a big departure for me will be the absence of any rust or bare metal patina. I'm going with plenty of fresh paint! :)

You do realize that the Chevy Artillery wheels are worth some serious coin correct? If not(or even if so), send them my way I'd LOVE to stick them on my '31 5 window!

Yeah, apparently they can be worth quite a bit. I got them mainly because I have a hankering to build an old 1940's style dry lakes roadster (or perhaps a pickup) and I reckon they would look the part. There are five wheels and hubcaps and they came with front axle, engine, gearbox and diff with torque tube. I have since sold the engine, gearbox, diff and related parts leaving me with the wheels and front end. I have an early Chev brake master cylinder so I thought "why not make a bike withe these wheels and use the chev drums and master cylinder too". I don't know if it'll work, or even if I'll end up doing it, but it would be cool.:cool2:

I'd love to see a photo of that '31 coupe:). Shipping wheels to the states would be just silly... it's expensive enough just shipping a bike around New Zealand.:rolleyes:

Glen.

Latest posts

Back