ARISE! Sir Loin of Beef hit's the pavement!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, I'm using an English bike for this one and I wanted to give it a regal sounding name. I watch too much Bugs Bunny. It's a 'Popular' (Raleigh built) frame that I cleaned up for my nephew but he didn't want. I wasn't throwing it away either! The Humber parts are from a 'stalled' build. The rear wheel is good and front wheel needs some spoke work.

Parts:
1961 Popular frame
1958 Humber twin blade forks
1958 Sturmey Archer 3 speed TCW coaster brake hub
1958 Sturmey Archer front Dyno-hub
1958 humber chain ring
1965-ish Royce Union stem and brake caliper
Brooks B-66
Also dump score brake lever and handle bars I have to cut down

P1011696.jpg

P1011697.jpg

Re: Sir Loin of Beef

Oh yeah!....Lots of English bikes this year! We just might see an "upset"!.......GOOD LUCK! ( I would LOVE to bend those forks) :lol:

that humber chainring is a trip!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
...Sir Loin.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Markm said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
...Sir Loin.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not sure if you're aware but this is where the name is originally from.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

rabbit-hood-1.png

Rabbit Hood is a 1949 Bugs Bunny cartoon which parodies the Robin Hood story.

In the cartoon the Sheriff of Nottingham catches Bugs eating the King's carrots and is about to arrest him, when Little John shows up and tells them that Robin Hood is on his way.

The cartoon ends with the appearance of "the real" Robin Hood in the form of a clip from the classic 1938 movie, which starred Errol Flynn.

This cartoon is the origin of the infamous "knighting" exchange, where Bugs Bunny is dressed up like a king, and proceeds to brain the Sheriff with his sceptre while dispensing an oddball title with each strike:

Sheriff: *bows*
Bugs: “Arise, Sir Loin of Beef!” *strikes Sheriff over the head with his sceptre*
“Arise, Earl (oil) of Cloves!” *strike*
“Arise, Duke of Brittingham!” *strike*
“Arise, Baron of Münchhausen!” *strike*
“Arise, Essence of Myrrh!” *strike*
“Milk of Magnesia” *strike*
“Quarter of Ten…” *strike*
Sheriff: (dazed, slurred) “You're too kind, your majesty.”
Bugs: (to audience) “Got lots of stamina!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One of my all time favorites. The sheriff and the bike are both from Nottingham!

I bought the tires from some guy in a parking lot...seriously. They are Cheng shins, here's a link to some. http://cgi.ebay.com/BICYCLE-TIRES-WHITE ... 7C294%3A50

The paint is definitely staying. here's some before and after pics;

Fresh from the dumpster:

P1011376.jpg

Stripped:

P1011576.jpg

Polished:

P1011584.jpg

Raleigh's are magnificent bicycles. The last three bikes I've built have been a '61 Raleigh Dyno-hub sports, a '65 Hercules with a 5 speed internally geared S.A. hub, and a Royce Union. All English or English style bikes. Magnetic parts trays and magnets on a stick for them loose bearings, that's all I'm gonna say. :wink:

as you may know i ride a 71. luv these bikes. but, it's gonna be fun with the 5 lady's spanking Sir Loin of Beef.lol SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEET

Outlaw

The front wheel got some attention today. It is a 1958 26"x1-3/8" Dynohub wheel. I was going to lace a nicer hoop to it but then I noticed it has a matte strip down the center that matches the rear. I wanted to keep them as a set.

First I address the 2 broken spokes. They were on the 'short spoke' side of the I hub so I brought some longer ones to 'Clark Cycle in Essex Ct. He has a spoke cutter there.The spokes are the raleigh ones with 'R's on the heads. I wanted to keep them authentic. These Duck bill vice grips are great for holding spokes.

P1011708.jpg

I also put all new nipples on. Had to grind some off. Hammered out the dents.

P1011709.jpg

Greased it and trued it. Inside a Dyno-hub.

P1011721.jpg

P1011722.jpg

Threw the tires on for a look.

P1011729.jpg

Still alot more work to do.

Nice and simple. I didn't know Raleigh put R's on the spoke heads.

cman said:
Nice and simple. I didn't know Raleigh put R's on the spoke heads.

I have a '61 also with the same spokes. Front.

P1011732.jpg

Rear.

P1011734.jpg

The stamped matte strip.

P1011736.jpg

This bike has a lot of cool small details, like the 22 tooth sprocket out back for rideability. Lots of hills out here.

P1011369.jpg

Latest posts

Back