Art deco bike ideas please

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been a bit quiet on here recently but now I could do with some help please.

For those who don't know what I do, I build bodies for vintage cars. But I also make daft bicycles. I made the rocket sidecar and the stainless loopybike amungst others.

So I love art deco stuff, and have an itch to build another bike.

So I'm putting out an request for ideas. I love the Schwim type, but I want to go different. Any Google searches I do just show Schwims.
Areas for detail I guess would include chain guards, mudguards, lights, saddle and paint.

So, who can throw some ideas at me?

Thanks in advance

Funny you should post this because I just recently started gathering parts for a basic ladies art deco bike to build for my girlfriend

The one thing that she emphasized is to stay away from stuff that looks more art nouveau (which a lot of people consider art deco including me)

Apparently art nouveau is more curved lines that look more natural being based off plants and flowers
she said this chain guard would be classified more as art nouveau
img_0410-jpg.462462

And art deco is more geometric shapes a lot of times they are repeating
This wald chain guard is considered more art deco
Vintage-Wald-Bicycle-Chain-Guard-fits-20%E2%80%9D-24.jpg

Yes, definitely art deco not art nouveau.
I'm going to be making the frame as well, so I can really get what I want...... As soon as I know what that is! Lol

I suggest you seek out period posters from the 1930s...and not specifically for bicycles. Henry Dreyfus was a visionary when it came to merging art deco forms with industrial design--examine his work in all its forms. I think a key element in the art deco school is "symmetry," so a chain guard that wraps to both sides, etc., would be appropriate.

il_570xN.1132539246_23j7.jpg

You've given me a lot to think about, but unfortunately, I lack the panel-beater's gene.

Last edited:
The more ornate style of Art Deco (Danish style?) or the later Streamline Moderne kind (some people list the latter differently, but it's more of an evolution to me)?

I suggest you seek out period posters from the 1930s...and not specifically for bicycles. Henry Dreyfus was a visionary when it came to merging art deco forms with industrial design--examine his work in all its forms. I think a key element in the art deco school is "symmetry," so a chain guard that wraps to both sides, etc., would be appropriate.

View attachment 84600

You've given me a lot to think about, but unfortunately, I lack the panel-beater's gene.
Great idea, thank you.
I love that train poster, it's exactly the vibe I'm after

Also cars, especially prewar French exotics bodied by Figoni e Falaschi or Jean Bugatti, maybe Voison. Another source would be 1930s Bendix Trophy racing aircraft and 20s-30s power boats, say the Gee Bees and Lairds or Baby Bootlegger.

Also cars, especially prewar French exotics bodied by Figoni e Falaschi or Jean Bugatti, maybe Voison. Another source would be 1930s Bendix Trophy racing aircraft and 20s-30s power boats, say the Gee Bees and Lairds or Baby Bootlegger.

It's been one of my pipe dreams to build a bike influenced by the vintage Delahaye speedsters--full fairings and wheels that are totally encapsulated (save but an inch of so of rubber protruding at the base). I'll probably never build this bike, but it sounds as though somebody just might.

It's been one of my pipe dreams to build a bike influenced by the vintage Delahaye speedsters--full fairings and wheels that are totally encapsulated (save but an inch of so of rubber protruding at the base). I'll probably never build this bike, but it sounds as though somebody just might.
I've already built this

Screenshot_20180922-222828.png

But now I want to go "full on art deco"!

You might draw some inspiration from old hood ornaments, too. Especially in the area of handlebars and how they sweep. If the bike must have controls (Nexus hub, etc), then keep them artfully concealed.
I intend to use a coaster brake to keep it clean

Nice...but, I'm talking full-coverage, not just street-sweepers. It would be a BEAR to fix flats, or even ride in a strong wind. Always thought the old Trek Lime, with electric shifting and coaster brake, might be a good starting point. If I stumble upon one, I may yet pull the trigger.

Someone posted a shell that would fit over a cruiser bike here a while ago… If I can find the picture I'll post it

I like it. There certainly are a lot of recognizable pieces there, all blended onto a Murray frame. If the project hasn't been christened with a name, it needs one.

View attachment 84617
Found this beauty searching the web. Wonderful lines. A simple but somewhat complex design at the same time. I have no information on it.

Oh now we're talking! I like that, thanks for posting it.

The reason Schwim don't do it for me is that I don't like bicycles with pretend gas tanks. I can't really see the point of them, other than an elaborate front light holder.

I think I have a design forming in my head (awake till 3 this morning thinking about it! Lol!)

I need to do a few sketches.

One thing I think I'm set on is that, taking inspiration from the train poster, it needs to be long and sleek.

I already have a plan for the frame/steering. It's going to be FUN!

As soon as I start I'll put a build thread up. Please be patient though, I have a couple of other projects to finish first.

Thanks again for the help and input. I really appreciate it. :)

David:
Sounds like an interesting project. You might take some inspiration from some "authentic" Art Deco bikes, that is, ones of the period. For example, Shelby Airflow, Monark Silver King, and Evinrude Streamflow, all pictured below.
Have fun, Andy
shelby airflow.jpg
monark silver king.jpg
evinrude streamflow.jpg

I went through the same process a couple of years ago. You can get inspiration from a lot of Art Deco objects. Things like kitchen appliances etc.

Here's my take on an Art Deco inspired bike:
index.php

Keeping lines matching on the same plane is important. If you look closely
you'll notice there are several horizontal lines in groups of three with the most obvious being the fender braces. I actually used a laser level to help get it right!

I too like Dreyfuss. The New York Central streamlined steam engines have always been a favorite of mine. Especially the black and silver Empire State Express.
I've been thinking about a NYC railroad themed bike myself... Horizontal lines and vertical fins.

Carl.

Latest posts

Back