BACK IN BLACK (klunker build RRBBO#9) *NAME CHANGE*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sealed the deal on this sweet trek 830 mtn bike for 75$, it's identical to my dad's trek 820 (which I ride more than him) and I'm going to use the 830 for parts for the check. Dad's 820 has araya 26x1.75 rims with quick release hubs, and I'm crossing my fingers that the craigslist score 830 is set up the same

Looks like I'm going to be shopping for a new 700c front wheel for that other trek I scored last week. I'm honestly amazed that I've found this many high quality bikes for so cheap.

Got the frame and bars back from sandblasting! Now I've got to weld on a derailleur hanger, and re-blast the frame.
Anyone know the TPI of a derailleur bolt?

Started building the derailleur hanger for the check today.

I found a schwinn traveler road bike in the junk yard, and I robbed parts off it. I bored a hole into a strap of steel and tapped it for the derailleur bolt.

Fits good!

Then I took the torch after the poor old schwinn traveler, and harvested the braze-ons for use on the check.

I think there's still some usable parts left on here somewhere

Now as soon as my dad changes the spool of wire in his welder back to a usable gauge for this thickness of metal, I'll weld the hanger and cable guides on and re-sandblast the frame.

That's all I got done with this morning, I've got a graduation party to go to this afternoon.

Ccd

Last edited:
Awhile ago I seen an eBay listing for six water slide schwinn Dx frame darts, buy it now 6$. I had my mom buy them for me, and when they showed up one was missing. The seller was very reasonable, and sent me six more for free! Bicyclebones on eBay, you get a shootout. That guy's awesome, I recommend him as a seller. But anyway, I got the other six so I ended up putting them in the envelope and setting them in a safe place just for this project. I just hope they come off the release paper easily, being NOS and probably really old.

On a regular black and white Dx, the neck of the frame is white. On my bike, it'll be checkerboard, leading back to the darts.

This bike is a major inspiration for this build.

Ccd

Today is going good so far! I got the frame cold set to the new rear wheel, and as I was doing that, my friend Carly called and said her family had six old bikes they didn't want. I told her to drag them over, and most were the typical Wal-Mart rejects. Except this one

It's a 90s Shotgun trail breaker mountain bike, and it's got pretty high quality parts on it! The Araya 26x1.50 rims are what caught my eye the most.

Both wheels need a true, but I can easily do that. Here in an hour or two, I'll be welding on the brake plate and derailleur hanger. I might harvest a few more braze-ons off of another junk frame, and plan out where I'm going to be putting them all. I want to put on a water bottle cage too, so I've got my work cut out for me.

Ccd

Last edited:
Well here's an update, and from this point; there is no easy way to go back. Sorry everything looks kind of wacky, they're cell phone pictures. The only thing that's actually crooked is the derailleur cable braze on.

I got the derailleur cable braze on thingy welded on as well

And the brake plate on too.

Now, I'm going to drill and tap a hole in the base of the bottom bracket to attach the plastic cable guide. Tomorrow in town I'm going to buy the stuff I need to attach a water bottle cage.

I just got the shogun up in the stand now, and the wheels came off with a little persuasion from a can of liquid wrench and a ratchet. I'm going to just put a different pair back on it and a new chain and flip it.

I fiddled around with truing the wheels, and I need to adjust the rear with a hammer because the rim itself is physically bent. But the front came into alignment with no trouble. I put them into my forks for a picture, and everything agrees with itself which is a minor miracle. Ignore the messy shop in the pics lol

Tomorrow after school I'll get both wheels put through the truing process, and I might replace the rear freewheel. I have a cassette hub I'm tempted to put in, but I'll see if I can get this old one useable first.

Ccd

I am a fan of that particular Araya rim. They were used on entry level bikes but are some of the easiest rims to work with. I've had customers bring me some of these that were knocked way out of true and I was able to bring them back.

Both wheels are as good as I can get them. I'm picking up that 830 on Friday, and if the wheels are straighter on the 830 I might use them instead.

Today I was digging around my parts pile, and I found this neat sugino crank arm. It's got 24t, 34t and 42t cogs.

I also put my 7 speed freewheel on. I'll be glad to have the extra two gears.

And I think I'm going to be borrowing the seat post off of my schwinn predator. I'll clean it up a bit and use it. It's hard to tell but it's a neat fluted aluminum post.

I'm not the tallest person around, so I should be ok.

Last edited:
On Friday I got to see that trek 830 for the first time, and the thing is almost like brand new!!!

I did not expect something this nice to be selling for 75$. So, I'm going to keep it and part out my other 830 for this project. Here are some more pictures of the new score

I'm really glad I got this!! The frame is actually the exact perfect size for me too.

Ccd

I like the brake horseshoe! Cool!

Flipped that 700series trek for 100$ yesterday, so I bbasically got that 830 for FREE! And I also ordered my bottom bracket adapter yesterday. I could've gotten the one off the shelf at the shop, that uses the modern European cartridge bearings, but I'd rather spend 15$ and have everything that's needed, than 40$ on cups and another 30$ for bearings. No pictures today for y'all, but thanks for the encouragement and comments!

Latest posts

Back