BACK40 returns!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Such a cool design with the long cockpit / short wheelbase. Looks great too. Any plans for paint? I think the frame looks great with the nice even coat of rust. Goes nice with the yellow spoke sleeves and black rims.
It is a super comfortable bike to sit on, really looking forward to the first ride!
Paint is all planned out and I have it here ready to go!

Ford 'Brilliant White' as seen on my '50 years' bike:

Downsized.jpg

Already got the decals made with white in mind and I just really like white and think it will suit this bike! :thumbsup:

I like the curve of the brace, but agree that it should be more 'beefy'. If not for looks, at least for strength when cranking side to side up the big hills....
I actually originally thought of leaving it small to give the frame some flex, as it is already a super stiff frame with the 7/8" loop tubes, but stiff is good too, and it just looks so wrong with that weedy little thing there! :21:

As the cycling adviser on this build, what are your feeling regarding stiffness and flex?

I really like the look of this frame. While I agree that the seatstay brace looks a little minimal compared to the rest of the tractor-weight engineering of the rest of the frame, I think something just a little thicker/wider that maybe wraps around the back half of the seatpost would do the trick.

Cuing off Dave's thought ^ , how bout a tube that would 'pierce' the seat tube, i.e. cut a notch out of the brace so it sits up tight with the seat tube with a portion of the brace cut out so it melds with the seat tube? Radius-ed to fit the O.D. of the seat tube.

In regard to the stiffness of the frame issue, I don't remember what the wall thickness is of the tubing, but at 7/8 dia that's going to be stiff either way. Typically, the spokes of the wheel will also provide some 'give' as they flex and move to the terrain as the wheel rolls along. This is a part of the theory of the 29er, don't need a lot of suspension as the spokes inherently 'give' more than a 26" wheel. And, following the fat bike trend, a plus sized tire with the air volume lowered can do a lot to keep the wheel on the ground for traction, steering control, and small bump suspension.

Long story short, the advent of the aluminum frame came about because the chromoly steel frames, while forgiving, were too 'whippy' for us larger sized riders. I used to be able to visually see my BB move and twist side-to-side as I was climbing up a hill on my early steel race bike. Plus, with the onset of suspension components, larger volume tires, and longer spokes, the minimal effect of the elasticity of steel was soon no longer needed.

Long story short, run those tires around 35-40 psi, stand up for the big hits and drops, and enjoy the great climbing and swift handling of BACK40!

Nice to see you getting this one back to the work bench. Looks like your making great progress all ready. Rock on Luke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luke, this older Blazer is parked along my short commute to the BACK10. Reminds me of your idea of white paint, with the big knobby tires. Of course, your paint will be much nicer!:bigsmile:

20170104_100205.jpg

Luke, this older Blazer is parked along my short commute to the BACK10. Reminds me of your idea of white paint, with the big knobby tires. Of course, your paint will be much nicer!:bigsmile:

View attachment 41955
:thumbsup: Cool inspiration!

Finally got a chain on Back40 and took it for a ride!

2017-01-07 18.44.06.jpg

I bought a short BMX chain, figuring it as a challenge to see if it would fit, ended up taking 6" out of it! Would you believe there is only 84 links there? Super short!

Test ride went really well, handles great but the seat was horrible! The seat was only a place filler though, so swapped it for a Velo studded I bought a while back:

2017-01-07 18.44.36.jpg

Much better to sit on and suits the frame design nicely!

The bike is nimble and fun for sure, there is a pronounced buzz from those tires on pavement though! :21:

Full steam ahead now to finish it up! (After a couple of days off... ;))

That seat fits the build well! Let those tires buzz, Luke...that's the sound of tough. Bring it on home now....RaT oN!

Looking good!! That Ford white is nice + love that 50 year bike! You painting the sliding dropouts? Might look cool with those being natural finish. Love those too..:)

very nice! one of my favorite builds on the site. glad its getting attention again
Should be done soon!
Cat got your paint brush, Luke? :wink1:
I wore myself out a bit over the weekend picking up a hot little motor for the Datsun, then tiding the work area so I had somewhere to put it until I am ready to fit it up...
I also broke the pressure release valve on my engine hoist, so I have a little welding to do there, but there should be progress very soon! :thumbsup:

Got some progress done today, first fixed my engine hoist, because I know if I didn't fix it while it was fresh in mind, the time would come when I needed it and it wouldn't be in working condition! Anyway, a little work with a welder and then a clean and grease, and it was better than new, so I could move on to the build!

First thing I did was some shaving at the ends of the tubes behind the bottom bracket, they were just too close with the wheel in the correct position, so I shaved them down and then rewelded the ends, then sanded down the welds smooth too, and this is it now, still a tight clearance:

2017-01-12 22.30.01.jpg
2017-01-12 22.30.23.jpg

Then on to the seat tube brace, I still liked the curved plate idea, but it needed more body and presence, so I turned it into an X brace:

2017-01-12 22.31.23.jpg

Much happier now! It also domes up slightly when viewed from the side, which gives it more personality than a flat piece of steel.

Just brakes left to do and then it will be time for paint!

Latest posts

Back