Balloon Donkey Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I'm making a new Donkey bike. I'm going to try to make this one look like it was made in the 40s. Basically a balloon tire version of a velocino.

I started by cutting up a Schwinn World step through frame, and modifying a blade fork to fit this headtube and 12" wheel. The fork was actually a bit of work, as I cut and slotted it for the small wheel, then extend the steer tube, all because I wanted to use the headtube from the Schwinn.
IMG_7398.JPG

IMG_7399.JPG

IMG_7402.JPG

I'm making a new Donkey bike. I'm going to try to make this one look like it was made in the 40s. Basically a balloon tire version of a velocino.

I started by cutting up a Schwinn World step through frame, and modifying a blade fork to fit this headtube and 12" wheel. The fork was actually a bit of work, as I cut and slotted it for the small wheel, then extend the steer tube, all because I wanted to use the headtube from the Schwinn.
View attachment 86200
View attachment 86201
View attachment 86202
Slap on a banana seat and you can enter the MBBO!
(2 of 3 criteria met) [emoji6][emoji3]

Gesendet von meinem K00E mit Tapatalk

Is there any issue with the cranks clearing the front wheel when you turn?

If I turned sharply enough, there would be an issue, but with the bars under my legs, there's not a lot of turn. It's not needed, either. Such a small wheel in front only requires a very slight turn.

Disaster! I was test riding the bike, when I suddenly almost fell backwards.
IMG_7406.JPG

I wasn't sure whether I could save it, or cut it up and start again, but I thought I'd give fixing it a chance. I heated it up, bent it back (with plenty of tubing damage to boot), then added in another set of stays.

If I keep it, I suspect that I'll have to age the thing up, add twine and baling wire, and make it look like it's got 70 years of barn crud on it to hide the repair. I don't know.
IMG_7426.JPG

IMG_7427.JPG

You can see I also added a front fender. I took a pink fender off of a girl's 12" bike, removed the paint, and made my own struts by taking a 26" set and hammering it flat, frilling a new axle hole, and putting it on there.
While the wheel cleared the chainring, the fender did not. So, seeing as how frustrated I was with this build at the time, and thinking that I was going to have to age it anyway, I just bashed the fender with a hammer to make it clear. :21::21:
IMG_7428.JPG

IMG_7429.JPG

And a close up of the warped tubing.
IMG_7430.JPG

Added grips made from the fingers of a baseball mitt, something I learned from ratbike extraordinaire Ray Aubrey (cutnhack on this site). The patina of it matches the bike pretty well.
IMG_7431.JPG

IMG_7432.JPG

She's pretty much done. I'll eventually get the second speed on this 2 speed Sturmey Archer hooked up, and I need one more axle nut for this rear axle. Turns out these 2 speed S/A hubs have a fractionally bigger axle than standard, and no nuts I have fit. Before it can be a daily rider, I need that nut.
IMG_7463.JPG

IMG_7464.JPG

IMG_7462.JPG

IMG_7465.JPG

IMG_7467.JPG

IMG_7466.JPG

IMG_7468.JPG

IMG_7469.JPG

Good idea covering the injured tube with the coin.

This thing is very cool, how does it ride?

Thanks, the coin was necessity. I tried to grind down the ripple and weld repair it flat, but I was making it worse, so on goes a clever doo-dad to hide the problem.

It rides nice, but I need to find one more of the right axle nut before I can ride it too far. The tire is rubbing a bit on one side as is.

That settles it. I have to build one of these! :cool2::cool2::cool2:
I was thinking the same thing when I saw @irzouts Pontiac in BO9. Then I forgot about it until this build popped up. What's awesome here is the use of the vintage bike and keeping patina and badges etc. intact. I believe you have succeeded in creating a donkey that looks original late 50's and I too, like it a lot.

Carl.

Latest posts

Back