Bamboo bikes!

Feb 2, 2016
SW MI
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Anyone build one? Got one? Make one? http://ghanabamboobikes.org/en/
http://www.zambikeszambia.com/contact/
I gots to have me one :D Some are metal fixtures with bamboo straight pipes shoved in, which looks like dog doo IMHO, the ones straight out of the jungle made by natives look cool as heck to me! Id love to pass me up some carbon fiber or ti on some boo!

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2013
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'll warn you right now that those bikes may be sustainable, but they're not cheap. If you really wanted to build one for yourself, you could do so by cannibalizing a throw-away Magna for all the non-bamboo parts. The various joints get lashed together with carbon fiber "twine" and saturated with two-part resin.

BTW, bamboo is not so exotic as you may think--there's a large stand of the stuff growing less than a mile from here...in suburban Maryland. It would need to be cut, dried, sized, checked for warpage; all that good stuff. But hey...free bamboo bike.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2016
SW MI
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
American and europeans as usual think highly of what they make and Ive seen frames hovering around $1K-$2 US, of course these are more massaged by hand into smooth shapes and ruin the look IMHO. Alibaba has frames more like what im after for $50-$200, US....I am anxious to see what they cost "straight out the jungle" lolol...I might have to buy 10 of em, but if the price is okay, im fine with that. I am in good with 3 LBS's, I am sure i could hang em up and get one or two for free in the end :D

kingfish254

CHECK OUT MY SALE THREAD FOR COOL STUFF!
Pro Member
Aug 31, 2009
Historic Savannah
www.ratrodbikes.com
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Super cool man, a dirt jump boo bike! LOL! who made those? what was your opinion of them?
The frames seemed to be well made, but the components on the frames were definitely low end. I bought three from a guy on CL. I think they were used as demo bikes to pursue the bamboo market. He got them at an auction. One was set up as a road bike with normal diamond frame geometry. The last one I sold was rigged up as a hybrid. And this last one is rigged up as a MTB.

Reactions: CrazyDave
Nov 22, 2011
KS
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rideable mock-up. Assuming this frame came from a kit, it was built by a shop in Denver area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: RustyGold
Oct 31, 2017
NH
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Admittedly, I never saw the attraction to "boo" bikes. If I were to make a bike out of anything other than conventional materials, it'd have to be plywood. It probably would not be as strong as boo, but would certainly look better.

Reactions: Grant