BEER RUN Blog photo of me riding BEER RUN in Costume

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: BEER RUN - Opinions wanted on wheel combos!!

Am I just messing up a good thing????

Just my .02 worth. Stick with the 24's. 8) :mrgreen:

pick said:
Plus 1

KOTA said:
pick said:
Plus 1
Yeah, same here...in my honest opinion it looks weird with a 20' in back :wink:

i am gonna go a bit different and say i like the fat 20" wheel tire combo. just because it is different and adds a tough edge to the look of the bike.

kingfish254 said:
20110718Photo_2C708803-0C73-036B-9715-8F101FFDC72F.jpg
:?

I think you've had enough. :p

karfer67 said:
i am gonna go a bit different and say i like the fat 20" wheel tire combo. just because it is different and adds a tough edge to the look of the bike.

ya the fat 20's are strangely cool for some reason... :roll:

karfer67 said:
My SECOND choice....I really dislike the wheel in front being larger than the rear, on a bike (just my opinion). The TWO 20" look good, but you'll have to change the cranks to shorter ones.

hey kota not like any of US have not had to do that to our own bikes :oops:

and i agree on the beer you should call the bike relapse :lol:

Maybe I have had too much and went over the edge.

Someone sent me a link to www'retro-rollers.com and I started looking around. I think it is more international forum members, but it was kinda cool to see some of their ideas. They call muscle bikes dragsters and there where quite a few small rear wheel rides that looked pretty sharp.

I don't dislike the look, but I agree that it just isn't right on this bike.

The dual 20's with a short crank is definitely an option. There is enough room under the board that I could fabricate a cooler.

One combo I didn't try was big rear and small front, but again, I just don't think that works on this build. The bike is supposed to be more of a cruiser to head on a BEER RUN, rather than a getaway bike to try and outrun the po-po trying to give me a BUI. 8)

But, I think all in all, I need to back off and take it back to the 24's.

Thanks for being my AA Sponsor on this build. :lol: :lol: :p :p

Needs 29ers at about 4" wide. Or a rear 24" and a front 10.5 scooter tire. :D

Hey Kingfish,

I'm glad to hear your going back to slightly less radical tire combo.
I thought you might fall off the back :lol:
Maybe painting the wheels or some odd ball 24 tires, or maybe beer label spoke cards.

yoothgeye said:
Needs 29ers at about 4" wide. Or a rear 24" and a front 10.5 scooter tire. :D

Of course I'm kinda liking the idea of wide 29ers.

Good luck!

I'd say either 24" on both with the red handlebars, or 20" on both (shorter crank) and apehangers ( you can go ahead and send the clubman bars to me, I'm in Georgia, shipping won't be much OR I'm headed to Tybee over Labor Day, I'll just swing by and grab 'em :mrgreen: )

HAHAHAHAHAHAAAA! I totally love this bike, whimsical, inventive and thirst quenching!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Thanks for the additional feedback everyone.

I love 29ers too, but not with a skateboard seat. To be comfortable at a stop, you need the lower tires. The 24s are about perfect. The riding posture on the 20R-700cF combo felt pretty cool, as did the 20-20 setup.

I just don't think the 20-20 fits this build though. It reminds me of Pixie or an old Enduro bike. I'll save that idea for another build.

Tank, I think I will keep the clubman's for now. While this is my first rat build, it won't be my last. If you are going to be at Tybee for Labor Day, you should bring your bike and go on the Midnight Garden Ride with me on Sep 3rd (http://www.midnightgardenride.com/ ). First round is on me.

So, after thinking it through, I will revert back to what I had before this experiment. You never know until you try.

Re: BEER RUN - Knock off hub caps made from SURPRISE beer cans

I mounted my knock off hub caps tonight. I wanted to share the way I mounted them, because I thought it was useful.

I took some rubberized wine corks and cut them down, then cut out the center.

20110720Photo_A631A91C-B441-A100-B76C-8E931AD32A14.jpg

Then I slid over the wheel nuts
20110720Photo_4A170FB6-2C7A-69EF-379F-B06138C5AE46.jpg

Earlier I had epoxy some 3/4 threaded pvc unions to my old pull tab beer can tops.
20110720Photo_E11744F0-9BB3-2F95-314E-41C93457D906.jpg

I just screwed the union onto the wine corks.
20110720Photo_63DBF25A-3E57-CAC9-AB1D-551F8E79A20C.jpg

20110720Photo_E577BA64-3E7B-6ECF-1278-4D3FB74C28D2.jpg
20110720Photo_A6629515-5FC6-DF65-0860-312EC1BF42BA.jpg

I also uses the copeer plated strapping on my coaster brack strap and covered the coaster brake bar with a White Rascal beer can.
20110720Photo_6D15D03A-25C4-342E-C3C7-C85463121EC7.jpg

20110720Photo_C956D247-E3EF-098D-91B1-E98F75E4D970.jpg

The 24" are back on the bike, as are the red reverse bull bars. If I would have had a set of apes to play around with, I may have tried out the 20-20 wheelset more.

NOW YOU HAVE A THUMBS UP FROM MY SONS. SO YOU KNOW YA BIKE IS KOOL EVEN MORE NOW!! DON'T GET A BIG HEAD. JUST..GET TA BUILDIN'!! PEACE

Jake Sensi said:
NOW YOU HAVE A THUMBS UP FROM MY SONS. SO YOU KNOW YA BIKE IS KOOL EVEN MORE NOW!! DON'T GET A BIG HEAD. JUST..GET TA BUILDIN'!! PEACE

Jake, Tell them thanks. Are they Beer Drinkers or heck Raisers? or both? - Cue up that lil' ol' band from Texas.

Jake, Tell them thanks. Are they Beer Drinkers or h*** Raisers? or both? - Cue up that lil' ol' band from Texas.[/quote]
H##@ RAISERS. THEY'RE TOO YOUNG TO DRINK. HOW ABOUT ZZ TOPS " I NEED YOU TONIGHT" SONG. MY ALL TIME FAVORITE. BILLY AND ANGUS BABY!! NOW YA TALKIN'...NOW GET TA BUILDIN'!! PEACE

Latest posts

Back