Bell tire on Schwinn rim ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found an unexpected tire size at a ....’s Sporting Goods Store, 26 x1 3/8 and remembered I could use them on some nice ‘67 Schwinn wheels I have at home. But would they fit ? Online research didn’t provide a good answer and my best guess says No. But I bought them anyway. And it killed me cause I pledged to never buy folded tires. What do thing happened when I went to fit them ?

Attachments

• BAA2ACE1-CF4D-49AE-99EA-9A2BEE4170A8.jpeg
    BAA2ACE1-CF4D-49AE-99EA-9A2BEE4170A8.jpeg
    240.4 KB · Views: 122
  • D63732BF-0367-4B24-80BC-837B95BB572F.jpeg
    D63732BF-0367-4B24-80BC-837B95BB572F.jpeg
    275.5 KB · Views: 119
Schwinn made at least 3 different 26” wheels in 1967. Which ones do you have?

Was the tire "tight?" If so, then you probably have Schwinn S-6 wheels that are 7mm larger than most common 26 x 1 3/8" wheels (597mm vs 590mm). To my knowledge, Kenda K23 tires are the only ones of that size still in regular production.

It would be oddly specific for the packaging to say it replaces 1-1/4" to 1-3/8" if it wasn't a 590 tire :39:.

I tried to find the ISO/ERTRO size somewhere...but, the only thing I could find showing such was on spanish ebay :wondering:. The Bell site doesn't seem to list its own products.

Jason

image.jpg
Okay,first of all it turned out to be Innova brand tire. Yes I found that 590 number vs 597, so I knew it be tight. The original tire had a s-5 ,s-6 spec.
Well, it went on but so tight I didn’t think the tube would take the abuse.

Last edited:
image.jpg
:39::39:Update: first tire holding up/ pressure,I just need to massage tire to work out high spots that would cause bumpy ride.( I think I had bubble in tube )
Second tire went on as tough but the tube was not as forgiving ,Alas ,pumping up this time proved worthless as I put a hole in tube. :headbang:And now I can’t remove this undersized tire from the rim !:arghh:
So I’m thinking I fill this tube with ... I don’t know... a silicone jelly that will harden softly ? Is there such a product.
Remember ,I can’t have a slime that would leak, and I’m thinking it’s gotta go in the strader valve. HELP
I see Stan’s Tubeless juice...hmmm
I need a flow in,and stiffen in place,cushioning goo.:39:
Okay,going on week vacation but should still have WiFi,thanks for any ideas... Stevil

. Maybe I can boil a section of tire just to get bead over the rim initially. Okay, one idea. Thanks...Stevil

Latest posts

Back