Best Patina - "1941" WINS!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Since I don't have enough to do, with my build off bike and life in general...
I believe I'll create a "Best Patina" trophy to be offered up at the end.
Won't be as big as them old school bowling trophies cuz I'll have to ship it.
But I'll try to at least make it mantle worthy.

Submissions are over...

"Likes" for votes... pretty informal,
"like" the picture of the posted bike* you like...
Poll closes when BoNine's poll closes, August 11th
My "Likes" mean nothing... I'm just the tiebreaker

Good Luck to all the builders!
Carl.

*note that Maelstrom in post #7 and the seat in post #11
are NOT BoNine bikes and are ineligible...
even tho both have a beautiful patina...

Last edited:
I think it also depends on your definition of patina. From Wikipedia: On metal, patina is a coating of various chemical compounds such as oxides, carbonates, sulfides, or sulfates formed on the surface during exposure to atmospheric elements (oxygen, rain, acid rain, carbon dioxide, sulfur-bearing compounds), a common example of which is rust which forms on iron or steel when exposed to oxygen. Patina also refers to accumulated changes in surface texture and colour that result from normal use of an object such as a coin or a piece of furniture over time. The second part I highlighted in blue, is what interests me. The colors that are faded and worn from age and use. It's not just rust. But the right kind of corrosion definitely adds to it.

Carl.

This was originally in the Bike Talk under "Faux Patina"

***Blue Arrow & Minnehaha***
CAM00162.jpg

Here's a nice one...

I think patina is any kind of age related wear... wood, leather and metal can all have patina, so it's not just rust. Faded paint, rust chips and scratches are all patina to me. Also, to really be a patina bike it should be wearing it's original paint...

I think patina is any kind of age related wear... wood, leather and metal can all have patina, so it's not just rust. Faded paint, rust chips and scratches are all patina to me. Also, to really be a patina bike it should be wearing it's original paint...
I agree. Patina is FAR MORE than just rust. Fading paint and weathering from use are two more important types of patina. While I like original paint I believe there are some artificial patinas being done here that are just as worthy, and layers of colors worn thru is a nice finish on some bikes.

Carl.

Mine is not done yet but I am letting it go naturally on "Krunk Junk". Sanded to bare metal then leaving it outside to rust. When the patina gets right I'll clear it to lock it in.

IMG_2855.jpg

IMG_2854.jpg

IMG_2839.jpg

NEW PICS!
IMG_20140803_204734570.jpg

IMG_20140803_204747230.jpg

Last edited:
Mine is not done yet but I am letting it go naturally on "Krunk Junk". Sanded to bare metal then leaving it outside to rust. When the patina gets right I'll clear it to lock it in.

I believe a little salt water spritzed on there will speed things up... if yer impatient like me...

Carl.

Best Patina

Fabbed this cup today...
Steel, brass, copper and iron...
May get it engraved...
Then vinegar the thing for a quick weathering.

Carl. (Man my hands are grubby...)

Last edited:
Diggin that! Sounds too kool... I have a beast that may flop my initial build-off bike and play it forward to the build-off... just for the patina .....well....wow....it is the patina that I admire and try to maintain authenticity with.... faux patina can be petty darn kool too... it justs really takes a special touch to get it right....The two bike choose one to enter is a bit tough for me....I keep several going at the same time and it helps me creative wise. Now with the patina thing I am thinking about the one I call "Tire-ranasauris- cycle-saurus- Extant" . the patna is prevalent in all areas discussed and it comes off naturally...we'll see. Better get it posted tomorrow and delete my first one???? Keep up the flow......really great idea!

iAM HIGGINS is a mix of old and new. It has original weathered paint showing as well as scuffs, scrapes, rust, faux patina added by a previous owner of frame. I added some accent darts/arrows, stripes and tank. I added weathering to new paint areas. A Hybrid patina bike I guess.
ebevude8.jpg
y2e9amen.jpg
hudehy8y.jpg
urusybeq.jpg
epe2utus.jpg
9a3avuva.jpg
y8ejejev.jpg

Latest posts

Back