Big Change, Bike Commuter again, update

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everybody,

Sorry I haven't been around as much lately but I've been busy with a big change. Two days ago I quit my job and next Tuesday I'm going to start my Master's degree in Electrical Engineering full time.

One good part about it is that I'm going to park my car and start commuting by bike, yeah! St. Thomas University is only 4 miles away and a nice ride too. I rode over there a few times now and it's only about 12-15 minutes. :) I'm planning on using my winter beater with City Slickers on it for the summer. Hopefully it's not interesting enough to steal. I might ride my MTB in the winter so I can climb hills easier (with a heavy back pack)
IMG_1687.jpg

I bike commuted to college 20 years ago for my Mechanical Engineering degree and it was great and cheap. I have to save money so biking will be perfect.

It's going to be a steep learning curve but I'm excited to stretch (but hopefully not break LOL) my brain.

So if I drop off for a while, I'll still be watching (during study breaks, ha, ha). I am going to enter BOTen too but not get as crazy as last year. I'm going to maybe switch up days so I can still ride to DQ with FIL. I have a feeling Sunday afternoons are going to get lot busier now.

Thanks for looking,
Steve

Last edited:
Best of luck getting your MSEE. I'm a Double E by degree myself. Can't remember the last time I had to do an Integral or Derivative. My brain hurts thinking about it.

Go for it! That should be a good combo. Where I work to many EEs don't know mechanics and visa versa having both will make you a star in some jobs.

It must be catching, I'm 58 and starting college, but not in the same field as I did in the military. I'll be getting a BS in education in 4 years.

If that red bike is your beater, it'll get stolen. Anything that rolls is fair game anymore.

It must be catching, I'm 58 and starting college, but not in the same field as I did in the military. I'll be getting a BS in education in 4 years.

If that red bike is your beater, it'll get stolen. Anything that rolls is fair game anymore.
Hey Wildcat let me how that goes for you. I went back when I was 55 or so have a degree plus and no one want to hire me. I hope it's not the same thing for you! Also good luck.

Thanks Guys so much for all the support!!! It made a big difference when I was doing something this crazy :eek:. The bike commuting has been going great. I didn't respond until I got a semester under my belt.

Best of luck Wildcat on your college push too.

I got an "A" in my management class and it was great to validate what I thought, that if you treat people well, they will be happier in their jobs, and overall work output will increase. Why is that so hard for employers to understand?

I'm continuing gearing up my tech self-learning. Got through Calculus (again :bigsmile:) and hitting Circuits and Controls hard. Can't wait for class to start again...

Found out that I've reduced my mileage on my car by 80%!! I love it! So cool to ride over the river at night on the way home from class. I've got to tune up the Triangle bike before winter commuting. Think I put a aluminum seat post on and try to get rid of something rattling inside the frame (that's driving me nuts).
IMG_1938.jpg

Well, I'm 10% done (LOL) and hopefully it will be all worth it when I get a good job on the other side of it. Thanks again for all the support!

Thanks for looking
Steve

Bike commuting to school is pretty popular even at my small town branch of Ohio university, it works well for me because our local bike trail is two blocks from my house and the trail head is across the street from campus.
Also studying engineering, I wonder if we do that just so we can all build cool bicycles?

Hey Wildcat let me how that goes for you. I went back when I was 55 or so have a degree plus and no one want to hire me. I hope it's not the same thing for you! Also good luck.
Lucky for me, I have a little pension to rely on, so a job isn't paramount. I plan on writing lesson plans and curriculum for early education. And riding bikes.

Latest posts

Back