Bike and Parts Shipping Rates Going Up

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This makes me think of a bike part I ordered a few months ago -- map attached for the 99% of you who either forgot midwestern US geography years (or decades) ago, or who live outside the US. :bigsmile:

I ordered a part from just outside Chicago, Illinois that was supposed to arrive in Columbus, Ohio in two days -- with the weekend it took almost a week. First it went to Toledo. Okay, there's a state route that runs from Toledo to Columbus in about 2 1/2 hours. Instead, USPS sent it outside the state on the other side, to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania! Then they sent it THROUGH COLUMBUS to Cincinnati, Ohio, in the southwest corner of the state! (I've scoured the maps and can't find anything resembling a direct route from Pittsburgh to Cincy that doesn't use I-70 and I-71, both of which run through Columbus.)

THEN they sent it back up I-71 to Columbus -- according to Google maps it's 325 miles from Chicago to Columbus. Taking the crazy USPS route, my package traveled 871 miles instead -- and we wonder how the postal service is losing money?! :mad:

I strongly suspect that in the next 10 or 20 years, Amazon (or maybe Walmart) will just BUY the United States Postal Service from the government, improve it to make shipping faster, AND cut shipping prices by 25% or more. :21:

View attachment 73310

Maybe it was shipped down the Ohio River on a barge from P-Burg to Cincy?

Sometimes USPS gets a little drunk. For example something I ordered took a day to go from CA to NC, then it took six days to travel 100 miles in the wrong direction (I'm only 60 miles from fayetteville, but 130 miles from greensboro).

pqHCYKl.jpg

Maybe it was shipped down the Ohio River on a barge from P-Burg to Cincy?

My first instinct was to start laughing (and okay, I'm STILL laughing!) but that WOULD help explain it!

Let's hope that the USPS isn't going backward in history with their delivery methods...although the idea of Pony Express riders in the suburbs, leaping over hedges, is kind of amusing too. :bigsmile:

This topic sparked a interest so I did a little searching. I never heard of the Universal Postal Union before, very interesting. This is a tiny snippet from a Wikipedia search on the Universal Postal Union.
From Wikipedia:
"As of 2018, US companies pay more than twice as much to mail an item from a US plant to a US customer, than does a manufacturer in China to mail an item to a US customer."

Last edited:
i just shipped my stretch from New Jersey to Las Vegas and back using Bikeflights via Fedex. the box was 65"x33"X10" and weighed 70 lbs. Round trip cost with $1200 insurance was about $137. Totally worth it. I recommend Bikeflights highly.
PS Don't mark the box "Fragile". Apparently that translates to "Kick Me" in Fedexspeak!

i just shipped my stretch from New Jersey to Las Vegas and back using Bikeflights via Fedex. the box was 65"x33"X10" and weighed 70 lbs. Round trip cost with $1200 insurance was about $137. Totally worth it. I recommend Bikeflights highly.
PS Don't mark the box "Fragile". Apparently that translates to "Kick Me" in Fedexspeak!
That may not seem bad for a $1200 bike....but if you are selling a $100 bike the $137 shipping kills it everytime almost. :(

I've made a claim with BikeFlites before and they were quick to put the insurance money in my PayPal account.

I was able to supply photos of the bike before it was shipped, as it was packed and how it looked upon delivery.

The rear wheel was damaged and they paid me $250 for the cost of the wheel without question.

That may not seem bad for a $1200 bike....but if you are selling a $100 bike the $137 shipping kills it everytime almost. :(

I think it's less than $10 to insure something for $100 with bikeflights.

Beware of insurance with Bikeflights ! I received a damaged bike shipped through them. They did not pay anything for the damage.

Did you or the seller pay for insurance when shipped?

Yes, customer service said $100.00 insurance is included at no extra fee. My philosophy is that the details should be worked out between the seller, buyer , and shipper. So, I choose not to air out my dirty laundry ( details ) on a public forum. As a positive contribution, I recommend both the seller and buyer read all of the shippers rules for both shipping and claims. Buyer should be assured that the seller will meet their responsibilities and work with you should there be damage. It is the shipper that is insured. It is the shipper that gets the insurance money .

Latest posts

Back