Bike repair, by the book...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody's Bike Book, by Tom Cuthbertson.
I used this book back in the day to figure out how to do something on a bike. I dug it out tonight to go through the section on 10 speed drive trains. Since getting back into bikes I've learned new terms for old stuff like chain wheels and cogs for front and rear sprockets. Mr. Cuthbertson used the term sprockets for the pointy things on a freewheel. Ashtabula cranks for one-piece cranks.
The book is written so anybody can do basic repairs on their bike, but you can tell Mr. Cuthbertson was from the road bike set, Spandex and carbon fiber if he wrote the book today I guess. Not so much rat rods. In fact, the last page really lets you know where he stands and,no, he probably would not be member of this forum! ;)
book1.jpg
book2.jpg
book3.jpg
LOL

Good stuff, try googling instructions for setting up an old school derailleur with friction shifters, youll probably be right back here after going thru many pages of info on newer equipment.

Personally Id cut out and frame a few of those illustrations and hang them in the wall, those are nice.

I have some cooky artwork hung around my place. This is in the guest bathroom, cant see it til yiu close the door and sit on the john. Old mc escher print that got torn.
Screenshot_20180601-195954.png

Latest posts

Back