Bikes on bridges

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Courtney-Campbell causeway, Tampa, FL
Surly1.jpg

Wowsers! That's a nice one. Chrome, Ringle, Flite, love it. But I have a question. Did you keep the unused chainrings on your crank? Hard to tell from my cracked phone screen.

Wowsers! That's a nice one. Chrome, Ringle, Flite, love it. But I have a question. Did you keep the unused chainrings on your crank? Hard to tell from my cracked phone screen.

Thanks!
The angle of the sun, and general blurriness of the picture hides how ratty it is right now. It's been sitting outside, only protected by a pent roof, all winter, so there's quite a bit of rust and grime on the F/F. Plus, it badly needs a new headset and bottom bracket.
I'm planning on tearing it down completely, so I can do a deep cleaning and rebuild it as a 1x7 with new parts where they are needed. There's also a set of Race Face cranks for sale locally, that would suit it mighty nice.
I'm running a 32-12 gearing, so I have removed the large chainring. I had to keep the granny ring on, though, as the middle and granny are mounted together on this generation STX cranks, and I didn't have any shorter bolts or spacers on hand.
Here are a couple of clearer pics, taken after a good cleaning last year:

@K_50 thanks for mentioning that about STX cranks, I was shopping for one to convert to single speed, I'll have to think a little on it now!
You're welcome
There were several versions of STX cranks. The early ones mounted the middle and granny rings together (58mm. bcd iirc), using the middle ring as a spider for the large one. But later they changed to a more standard design with 94mm. bcd mounting for the middle and large rings. So don't write them off completely.
All in all, for the price, I think STX kit is hard to beat. My bike is from '95, and I bought it from my older sister in '99 when I was 13 years old. I rode it year-round (commuting, teen-age shenannigans and all), with a minimum of maintenance, till I was in my late 20's. At which point the derailleurs stopped working, and I converted it to single speed. With a proper reconditioning and new jockey wheels, they would probably still have been just fine.

Yeah I've been rocking an STX derailleur on my bike for a couple of decades, very sturdy, durable design. It's why I wanted the crank, 1x7 drivetrain, but probably using the largest ring. I need top speed!

Latest posts

Back