Black Rat Dragster

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well I tossed around throwing in a second entry last few weeks as this buildoff was coming up and have been wanting to do this one so here it is, going to try to keep it more of a simple build but do tend to get carried away which I am going to try to resist :21:.
I bought this frame last summer off here as it just screamed drag bike build to me with the lines of frame, needs a slight repair on rear but no big deal there. The Black paint in its patina is awesome and not going to mess with it.

I had this rim set setting around which I bought before the frame and thought it would be a great match to the frame with the skinny front. have been mocking up wheelie bar setup and front strut setup for front forks already also pics. later on that though.

Thanks, I forgot to put in that this is a Columbia frame think it came out to a '64. Here are a few of the first quick mockups I did undecided on rear style yet and ran out of tubing to mock up more but I like the front flowing off the bottom bar better than the top and once a final design is decided will make it as tight as possible for turning and yet make it look like its one continuous flowing bar. The other thing I realized last night sitting on my thinkin drinkin stool is the rear wheelie bar wheels being lower to the ground might be a problem to ride in certain areas (transition from sidewalk to streets ect.) I want to keep them lower to give more of the look of the real drag bikes so thinking of a pivot setup for the bottom 5" or so where the 2 bars that flow down will be connected above the wheel. Man what happed to a simple build I said I was doing:crazy:

May make it even more complicated, but what about giving the wheelie bar a pivot and a shock? That way it can be low like you want but when you transition into a parking lot, or any other situation that may cause them to bit the ground, they can move out of the way, yet still be somewhat functional as a wheelie bar.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

May make it even more complicated, but what about giving the wheelie bar a pivot and a shock? That way it can be low like you want but when you transition into a parking lot, or any other situation that may cause them to bit the ground, they can move out of the way, yet still be somewhat functional as a wheelie bar.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

Yep thought about that also would be fairly easy if I go with this mockup style.

OK no training wheels :whew: but the seat I think will work with building a custom seat post its 5" wide where you sit the bum so shouldn't be to bad to ride think its as wide or almost as a full size nanner seat and think it fits with the drag bike theme.

not sure why the first pic wont enlarge heres another shot of it just propped up

Last edited:
well I lost about a month working on this with being busy and a couple computer crashes haven't been able to order parts I need, so back up and running so now I can get some heim joints ordered along with few other things I need and get some heavier wall tubing just using brakeline for mockup.
Did do some more quick mockup yesterday on the wheelie bars, stem I had a problem with all my older ones would not fit into this headtube so grabbed one out of a newer huffy and gave it a cut to straighten it out which now will become another custom stem which I have a couple ideas for rollin around in the noggin, my first build with Bare Bonnie(ville) I did a custom stem and think I will make custom stems my trade mark for my builds, not sold on the bars yet would like to find a flatter set of half moon bars.

So glad you went with the long wheelie bars. They flow with the frame so much better and really set the stage for the whole build in my opinion. I also like how you are making them wide too.
Be careful not to make the wheelie bar wheels too low though. You may end up having them bottom out on normal rides around town.

Thanks Kingfish, I figured right away the long wheelie bars were the way to go but always mess around just in case, the width of this frame really spreads out in the back and wanted them to follow the frame which worked out great, for ride height bars may have to be shortend a touch I am aiming for 3 - 3 1/2 clearance and then there will be some slide brackets I will make for having them rotate up maybe another 1 - 1 1/2 if they hit anything think I have that figured out at least in the noggin anyways.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back