BO15 Blue Bomber Curbhopper

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the “they don’t make ‘em in that size anymore” category...
I could not find a front derailleur in 28.6 (1-1/8”). Of course, there are plenty of 1-1/2” and bigger, but who wants a half-inch of spacers? Not me. I found this Problem Solvers braze-on adaptor in 28.6, so got that and a braze on derailleur.

45E0C868-6CD3-4257-AE7C-B1958051CDCF.jpeg

No it wasn't sarcasm. I'm maybe a Pole, but I'm no wise-guy :acute:I was looking for a company that makes older standard BCD rings, cause I love the design of older Shimano groupsets like Alivio or STX. Alivio as an example had a 3 piece 5x105 BCD, and those cranks are just sweet - pure and simple.
Surly is based right here in the Twin Cities of Minnesota, USA, Spike. Their parent company is Quality Bicycle Products. Not sure if they have international outlets or not. They still produce steel framed bike options, have a couple of 'hauler' type bikes, etc. Lots of local guys buy their framesets and then build them up from there.
My first fat bike was the iconic Surly Pugsley. Just bought the frame and fork, in Snowblind White, and then it became this: Fat Rat.
IMG_20141004_165422.jpg

:forum:
Wait. What? Who said that!?! I have not been reading and posting more than building! If only I had all month off and was forced to socially isolate, then, maybe then, I’d get more done!

... or get off my lazy bum.
Today I cleaned, inside and out, and re-greased my front wheel. Tremendous progress, I know. :grin:
C17E1E9C-24EF-4464-ADF2-A58CC8D1B12E.jpeg

Spent the afternoon breaking down. BC13, my Recumba-rat from BO13. Was fun, but always had enough little things that weren’t quite right that I seldom chose it for my rides, and when I did, was reminded of the little things.

C4C090A0-12B6-4EB2-810C-F1A1C526B589.jpeg
6B95E241-62F3-44FA-AFF7-1CF718C5A749.jpeg
67393D88-45EC-44C4-AC9E-EDEF387BF3EF.jpeg

Re-using a fair number of parts for the Special Bomber- brake lever, headset (the Specialized has a nice little ‘lump’ as you turn the bars, don’t think it’s fixable with fresh grease), Probably these Soma Sparrow bars. If I go with flat bars I’ll need a shorter stem.

C0C32BB0-9428-44F4-BF0D-322AAD02F21F.jpeg

A close up of the metallic purple-fade-to-blue paint. Still debating on keeping it or a recolor.
20F84288-B943-4187-BA0F-6CEFBB8AEA4E.jpeg

And likely won’t use the Big Apple tires. They’re a bit too wide for these rims, though they ride nice and roll forever. Saddle is a placeholder, too. Other accoutrements always possible.
3F74F2E2-1509-426D-AA51-E89C32D59546.jpeg

Shiny would be nice. Not sure if I’m up to grinding/brushing off the factory paint just yet.

Spent the afternoon breaking down. BC13, my Recumba-rat from BO13. Was fun, but always had enough little things that weren’t quite right that I seldom chose it for my rides, and when I did, was reminded of the little things.

View attachment 119681View attachment 119682View attachment 119683

Re-using a fair number of parts for the Special Bomber- brake lever, headset (the Specialized has a nice little ‘lump’ as you turn the bars, don’t think it’s fixable with fresh grease), Probably these Soma Sparrow bars. If I go with flat bars I’ll need a shorter stem.

View attachment 119685
A close up of the metallic purple-fade-to-blue paint. Still debating on keeping it or a recolor.
View attachment 119686
And likely won’t use the Big Apple tires. They’re a bit too wide for these rims, though they ride nice and roll forever. Saddle is a placeholder, too. Other accoutrements always possible.
View attachment 119684
Shiny would be nice. Not sure if I’m up to grinding/brushing off the factory paint just yet.
John, there's always the 'prime and paint over' option. I did a rust-ification rat-ina on my brand new Surly Pugsley frame when I got it. It was really my first attempt at a faux paint job. I left the stickers on it, to get sort of an aging mtb / fat bike look.
DSC00008.JPG

Fat Rat North.JPG

I like those sparrow bars

1589401270424.png

^ ^ Do you ever feel this way? ^ ^

After a thorough cleaning / degreasing of the frame, I've decided that there are just too many nicks and scratches to keep the paint as is. (I was on the fence anyway.) So, I emailed several powder coating shops in the area-- all of whom have on their websites "we do small jobs", "Love our local customers", "patio furniture", "...Bicycles..."

All of whom replied, "Sorry, we're too busy with our big customers to take individual orders right now." or some such. I feel like going back to google and giving them all negative reviews for false advertising.

Ho hum.

So, I did a minor sanding today, in an inside area of the chainstays where could be hidden if it didn't go well, but it did. So, there will be elbow grease expended in the effort to make this Bomber Extra Special. Stay tuned...

(BTW... if you know any powder coaters, pro or amateur, in the Charlotte area [+/- 1hr drive] lemme know.)

View attachment 120407
^ ^ Do you ever feel this way? ^ ^

After a thorough cleaning / degreasing of the frame, I've decided that there are just too many nicks and scratches to keep the paint as is. (I was on the fence anyway.) So, I emailed several powder coating shops in the area-- all of whom have on their websites "we do small jobs", "Love our local customers", "patio furniture", "...Bicycles..."

All of whom replied, "Sorry, we're too busy with our big customers to take individual orders right now." or some such. I feel like going back to google and giving them all negative reviews for false advertising.

Ho hum.

So, I did a minor sanding today, in an inside area of the chainstays where could be hidden if it didn't go well, but it did. So, there will be elbow grease expended in the effort to make this Bomber Extra Special. Stay tuned...

(BTW... if you know any powder coaters, pro or amateur, in the Charlotte area [+/- 1hr drive] lemme know.)

Charlotte NC?

Yessir. Matthews area, specifically.

Screenshot_20200513-203729.png

These guys have done several bikes and motorcycles for me over the years. Haven't used them since I moved in 2018, but they were always good to me. Not the cheapest though

Cool. Thank you thank you! I’ll get in touch and see what they say.

They're big with car chassis's and larger stuff that doesn't require as much on the aesthetic side. You want to be very specific in your finish requirements with them. And triple check they understand your DO NOT COAT areas. They did a mountain bike frame for me one time and didn't block off the BB...........spent a whole day with some MEK and a Dremel to fix that

I like the wire Spool table . I had them as a kid as end tables in our living room . Also neat build so far . refinished.

View attachment 119681View attachment 119682View attachment 119683

View attachment 119685
View attachment 119686
View attachment 119684

I like the wire Spool table . I had them as a kid as end tables in our living room . Also neat build so far . refinished.
It was left in my wife’s yard when we were dating. She mentioned how she always wanted one as a table. It “disappeared” one day, only to emerge from the garage cleaned and finished, with a small added detail:
43A1500E-B76A-4898-A9CA-E32D10F1A3A2.png

It has been the laughable, crazy heavy thing we’ve moved with us too many times to count. It’s in the garage currently, as we sit there like a screened porch with the dog and watch the neighborhood. (and the occasional bike part holder) ;)

Really taking my time on this simple build. No hurry. Life’s not going anywhere. We spent the day hiking some of NC’s little mountains. (She’s a CA girl and laughs at calling them “mountains”)
AD7169AB-D852-4529-9F1E-5FBC9F13016A.jpeg
7AB53785-6D42-4433-8FD2-9C5614704284.jpeg

... back to watching you all work hard... well, except Matti! :grin: Maybe some progress this weekend.

Latest posts

Back