BMX Cruiser Schwinn- Ready to Raffle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
About ready to start on the last bike I am building to be raffled off at the Midwest Bicycle Fest in October. The frame is a '60 Schwinn Tornado that I got from aka_locojoe.

A few pics from it's previous life
01.jpg

19.jpg

22.jpg

As it currently sits
IMAG0170.jpg

The outcome will be a super slick BMX cruiser. Big thanks to the folks at Pork Chop BMX for the parts they donated to the build. I will show the parts they send as soon as they arrive.

Re: '60 Schwinn Tornado- BMX Cruiser Style

This should turn out nice. I really liked the chalkboard paint with chalk decals that Randy did.

Re: BMX Cruiser Schwinn- New Parts!

holy heck!! thats going to be awesome! what color will it be painted?!

Re: BMX Cruiser Schwinn- Little progress made

A local club member fixed me up with the badge I had been hunting.
IMAG0213.jpg

The heat finally broke a bit today and allowed me to get out in the garage and attack the bike today. I began by stripping the frame back down. Then I removed the chain guard tabs and made some small frame repairs- Closed up the four head badge holes in the head tube and filled a small gouge in the right chain stay.
IMAG0214.jpg

IMAG0222.jpg

IMAG0217.jpg

Head tube before
P0005689.jpg

Head tube after filling the holes and drilling the holes for the new badge
IMAG0223.jpg

I think I have found a buddy willing to donate his powder coating services for the frame. All that I have left to procure is a 26" single speed wheel set.

This bike has been completely donated so far and the only part that isn't new is the frame. I am hopeful that I can find a LBS willing to help.

Back on task! I am taking the frame to a friend's this evening to use his media blaster to prep the frame before 450redrider hits it with some gloss black powder coat for me. All that leaves is the wheels to find.

Instant Fan of this build right here! Man Porkchop hooked you up! I tell you, I love the vintage stuff, but man it would be nice for once of I had new components to work with rather than rusty stuff.

Latest posts

Back