1. The forum software will be upgraded on Saturday (April 4). During this time the site may be down for a period of time to make the change. Thanks for your patience as we do the work!
    Dismiss Notice

BO Regulars sitting this one out and the reasons why...

Discussion in 'BUILD OFF 12 DISCUSSION' started by LukeTheJoker, May 3, 2017.

1. Duchess

Duchess

I still have to finish Interrobang, but we're packing up to move and I'm in a relationship with a swell gal that's taking much of the rest of my time, so I couldn't do this no matter what.

LukeTheJoker and Falstaff like this.
  2. gsc

gsc

I bought a bike part this year with anticipation of building something......and then I still have a Henry J to work on as well as a 65 Aristocrat Loliner just picked up, If I get there it will be later if possible.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

3. GuitarlCarl

GuitarlCarl

In defense of multiple buildoffs.
    3 months in, one month off, rinse repeat.
    3 months man! I walk into my garage and tinker for a bit almost everyday, but often it's only for 10 maybe 15 minutes. I get a little something done and even though I work with a limited budget, 3 months gives me time to save up a little for something extra on the build, plus there's a month of downtime in between that drives me nuts! I love everything about this place and haven't missed a build off since I found my way here and only dnf'd once. Maybe on Saturday I get an hour or two maybe not, sometimes I give up a bit of sleep to tinker in the wee hours... granted I'm a bachelor and my kids are mostly grown up. I know I enjoy freedom many don't have. But if build offs are taking time away from life, you are scheduling things wrong.

Carl.

4. dragnusa

dragnusa

I almost sat out just because I was having a hard time finding a bike the tires I wanted to use would fit.

5. biggraham

biggraham

This one just didn't seem as publicized, I already know of forth coming Muscle Bike build, but even recently, there was little or no mention of this on the home page. It still had voting/build off images from the last build off

bikewhorder and squirreldh like this.
  6. scrumblero

scrumblero

Last year I sat it out cause it was too hot!
    we will miss you, you are always on the bleeding edge. I might have to go extreme in your absence. I have way too many ideas and even more time these days.. :whew:

7. LukeTheJoker

LukeTheJoker Moderator

:banana:

8. us56456712

us56456712

The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
    Too cold? No such thing as too cold, ha! Snow is predicted tonight and it occasionally gets to 50F. I am still waiting for warm weather to paint the CWC Girls bike I started in January. There is still patches of old snow in the woods but it is getting harder to find. It has been very windy for two months, which makes painting, shop work and riding a pain. Summer is very short and a bike project takes away from enjoying it. We are selling our house and moving to camp and it is semi off grid (no internet). For the above reasons I build simple quick bikes. I want to make a single speed gravel grinder but it will have to be very quick if I do it at all. I would like to race it in June, but have not started it yet. On the fence with this one.

RustyGold and LukeTheJoker like this.
  9. LukeTheJoker

LukeTheJoker Moderator

There is such a thing as too cold when you have to work outside and you have illnesses which cause your joints and muscles to lock up!
    Don't get me wrong, I could do it, but it would write me off for the next 6 months to recover!

us56456712 and MazdaFlyer like this.
  10. Bicycle808

Bicycle808

Of all the reasons discussed so far, @furyus has by-far the best excuse:

Makes sense to me; gotta get your BMXercise.

I don't typically enter this things b/c i never finish in time. I work a lot of hours, i'm always tired, plus i tend to start new projects before i finish the current ones... but i wish i could claim it was all b/c of BMX. :113:

RustyGold and furyus like this.
  11. ratrodz

ratrodz Pro Member

Man... I'm chomping at the bit to jump in! But I've got the boys baseball right now and another build for a friend I'm doing. Literally "foaming" at the mouth cause I've got a really cool idea brewing in my head....

murdercycles likes this.
  12. us56456712

us56456712

Sorry, no disrespect, it was a joke in my mind. I based this on a northern, even in Scandinavia, philosophy or saying. "No such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing". We didn't have good cloths, especially boots, in the 1940s and 50s. As a child my mother used to throw me outside in the winter when I got on her nerves. "Your driving me nuts, get outside". I hated that when it was below zero F. I would usually get involved with other kids and get distracted and my hands and feet would become numb. I would get horrible chilblains, especially in my hands and feet, warming up. Now a days my hands and feet get numb, to the point I can't shift or put on the brakes, like my fingers are made out of wood. I think I damaged my surface blood vessels and nerves when I was a kid as I can't feel the cold, I just seize up. I have built entire bikes in my unheated shop in the winter. You go out put on a bolt or test fit something, mark what needs to be filed etc, and then run inside for the warmth. Go out again in a half hour and repeat. I gave up on this two winters ago and take parts inside to work on and pile everything up behind furniture so it isn't so noticeable. This is my excuse for having such lame bike builds. It's freezing out right now with a stiff North Wind right off the ice laden Lake Superior shore. Here is my house right now.
    DSCN0093.JPG
    DSCN0095.JPG
    DSCN0096.JPG
    DSCN0097.JPG

13. heartlandcruisers

heartlandcruisers

well even though I don't participate and did once just for kicks I have to say I am kind of burned on the build offs their too close as much as I love this site and I do love it its my favorite pastime when I build a bike I'm never really actually "done" so the build offs are kind of too constricting to me and too close together maybe a time frame should be in order for other build offs where the big yearly rrrbbo can take control again but that's why I rarely participate in them is simply because I never quite finish or decide I hate something and then start over that and i don't like rules when i build but that has nothing to do with why I don't participate i understand rules are needed but I am against rules and like to play by my own rules which simply are there is no rules just have fun and enjoy what you do in retrospect ( man tough word) love the site don't love the build offs so much but that is just my opinion

Duchess likes this.
  14. heartlandcruisers

heartlandcruisers

change of heart i decided to enter hopefully i start a trend and get some more regs there

LukeTheJoker and ratrodz like this.
  15. KOTA

KOTA

us56456712 you sound like another "old" guy! Like ME!

heartlandcruisers, join in! The only thing it says in the rules is be "nice". I'll tell ya what, you join, I'll vote for ya. Even if it's a kid's tricycle with one back wheel missing (sounds like something I'd build).

us56456712 and heartlandcruisers like this.
  16. KOTA

KOTA

Uh oh! we posted at the same time. You were slightly quicker......I'm taking my vote back.

Last edited: May 6, 2017
    heartlandcruisers and Falstaff like this.
  17. heartlandcruisers

heartlandcruisers

well i did build some hot rod tricycles but their not worthy of riding just did a basic flip of the frame and added some solid rear wheels on them i got something in the buildoff though :dance2:

18. us56456712

us56456712

Problem is I am crotchety and not too nice. I could be worse.

RustyGold likes this.
  19. order99

order99

Not sure I count as a regular (as I have only competed in one build so far) but:

1) I am in a very low-income bracket, and honestly can't afford to tinker the way i'd like. If I need parts it is easier to find cheap rusted frames at the local thrift store-custom anything is out of the question so I use what I have.

2) Transport-my lovely old 1993 Ford Festiva died this January of what the mechanic calls"total systemic cascading electronics failure"-in other words, ZZZZZZZAAAAAAPPPPPP!!!!!!! :cry: As much as i'd like to spend in excess of $3000.00 to restore a 325K+ car to "Ugly but Functional" status...I just can't. So i'm saving my pennies for a decent car and currently riding a 2013 Zenn-n R-50 scooter I picked up nearly new for $450.00. This severely impacts my ability to carry cargo-especially in NC which does not allow the use of trailers on scooters...once I build a bicycle trailer I will have a few options locally, but a Hatchback would be even better!

3) Time-I am currently employed in a sawmill in one of the dirtiest, hottest jobs I have ever had (in a career that includes metal bending, assembly line, powder and liquid paint etc).We are currently engaged in 45-50+ hour work weeks.:arghh: The only good news is that problems One and Two may eventually go away if I keep getting enough of problem Three.:grin: This is also of course why I don't post as often...

Please keep up the Build-offs though, and on any schedule you prefer. I'll jump in when I can-and if you're between BO's when I get some parts and some time, i'll start building ANYWAY! :D

20. us56456712

us56456712

LukeTheJoker and order99 like this.