BO Regulars sitting this one out and the reasons why...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I jumped in this past weekend after seeing that a Facebook friend was doing a build that really looks cool. Thought it would be more fun to trash talk and agitate him if I had something in the competition as well... :bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:
And that would be reason #4 for entering a build off. :41:

I like to do the build offs because it gives me a deadline to finish a wild idea, otherwise it may sit unfinished except for in my head. Sometimes i finish a build off and some times I dont. Sometimes life gets in the way and sometimes I learn my ideas for a bike wernt so good after all. But one thing I have learned is I do enjoy building custom rat rod bicycles for a few reasons. To me they are my canvas to get creative with and I can actually finish what I start in a short time rather than people that take on a car or motorcycle and spend years on a single project. Building a custom rat bike allows me to make whatever I want and I am not criticized by the purists that every other hobby has. I appreciate accurate original bikes and restorations but to me they are simply building to a manufacturers specifications. Building rat rod bikes have no guidelines except the simple build off rules which are kinda fun to go by. Many of us back yard builders have our own interpretation of what is cool. We build with what we can find at swapmeets on line or what we can trade our friends for. I do not have the budget, the time or the skills that many others have but I still have just as much fun. As far as being a cyclist, I commute by bike, I participate in many charity rides, I ride road bikes with my local club and yep, I wear lots of lycra or spandex or whatever you call it. Occasionally I show up at a club ride with one of my creations and have no intention of going the long distance we normally ride. I bring a bike to let everyone ride around and enjoy.. Doing these builds brings me much relaxation and allows my creative side to come out in a part of my life I already enjoy so much. I will be entering something in every build off for years to come. I dont care if I come in first place or last. Its fun to share my creativity with all you strangers that I will never meet and also learn from everyone elses ideas.

Im in it for the long haul.

PS, today is National Bike to Work Day. I work midnights, I rode home this morning and will ride in again tonite. And Im doing it on a custom built bike that I made and noone else has

Happy Friday

I like to do the build offs because it gives me a deadline to finish a wild idea, otherwise it may sit unfinished except for in my head. Sometimes i finish a build off and some times I dont. Sometimes life gets in the way and sometimes I learn my ideas for a bike wernt so good after all. But one thing I have learned is I do enjoy building custom rat rod bicycles for a few reasons. To me they are my canvas to get creative with and I can actually finish what I start in a short time rather than people that take on a car or motorcycle and spend years on a single project. Building a custom rat bike allows me to make whatever I want and I am not criticized by the purists that every other hobby has. I appreciate accurate original bikes and restorations but to me they are simply building to a manufacturers specifications. Building rat rod bikes have no guidelines except the simple build off rules which are kinda fun to go by. Many of us back yard builders have our own interpretation of what is cool. We build with what we can find at swapmeets on line or what we can trade our friends for. I do not have the budget, the time or the skills that many others have but I still have just as much fun. As far as being a cyclist, I commute by bike, I participate in many charity rides, I ride road bikes with my local club and yep, I wear lots of lycra or spandex or whatever you call it. Occasionally I show up at a club ride with one of my creations and have no intention of going the long distance we normally ride. I bring a bike to let everyone ride around and enjoy.. Doing these builds brings me much relaxation and allows my creative side to come out in a part of my life I already enjoy so much. I will be entering something in every build off for years to come. I dont care if I come in first place or last. Its fun to share my creativity with all you strangers that I will never meet and also learn from everyone elses ideas.

Im in it for the long haul.

PS, today is National Bike to Work Day. I work midnights, I rode home this morning and will ride in again tonite. And Im doing it on a custom built bike that I made and noone else has

Happy Friday
:113:

Well said @johnp.smith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I MAY BE LATE TO THE DANCE BUT I'M BRINGING THE CHIPS!!
80c36e9a22b5efdef8e1a06823b338fb.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I MAY BE LATE TO THE DANCE BUT I'M BRINGING THE CHIPS!!
80c36e9a22b5efdef8e1a06823b338fb.jpg

HAHAHAHAHAHA
It ain't a party without chips
and it ain't a Build Off without Jake!

THANKS B!! MY BROTHER TELL QUEEN FISH I SAID CONGRATS TO YOU BOTH ON YA 20TH. YEAH I STAY INFORMED NINJA MODE OR NOT. MUCH LOVE BROTHER.

So my grand excuse for not entering this build-off - because I'm going to ride BMX instead - crashed, and rather violently. During my last (both as in most recent and as in final) attempt at learning how to manual, I "looped out" in spectacular fashion. Landed hard on my right leg and then on my back, equally hard. Fortunately, being adept at crashing motorcycles as well, I instinctively curled up and landed on my shoulders and not my head. Brand new helmet didn't have a scratch on it. I'm lying there looking at sky and I could hear my bike bouncing down the parking lot, finally coming to a rest three stalls away. I lay there for several minutes, certain - certain - I had broken my foot and/or my leg. I didn't want to look and see a compound fracture so I didn't; I just lay there, kinda crying, kinda laughing.

Fortunately, I didn't break anything, though I could barely walk for a couple of days. Right leg, especially my knee, still bothering me. I knew this going in, but I always have to learn the hard way: at 55, I'm too old to start a BMX career. It was fun while it lasted, just didn't last too long. Really loved the little Sunday Broadcaster, too.

But I'm still going to ride this year, and not build. Now I'll be sticking to the numerous paved paths available here in Virginia, spinning my legs and trying to keep the blood flowing. Picked this up today:

Moto.jpg

2016 Electra Moto 1. First Chinese mainland bike I've ever owned, and a little bit of me died when I bought it, honestly. The rest that's still alive digs it, though. We'll see how she holds up this summer and fall, and if she hangs in, she'll earn some nice upgrades this winter.

Sure do put a lot on nonsense on these bikes, that's for certain:

junk.jpg

Lots of cool builds coming together this year, even with the reduced participation. Enjoying watching you all create.

furyus

So my grand excuse for not entering this build-off - because I'm going to ride BMX instead - crashed, and rather violently. During my last (both as in most recent and as in final) attempt at learning how to manual, I "looped out" in spectacular fashion. Landed hard on my right leg and then on my back, equally hard. Fortunately, being adept at crashing motorcycles as well, I instinctively curled up and landed on my shoulders and not my head. Brand new helmet didn't have a scratch on it. I'm lying there looking at sky and I could hear my bike bouncing down the parking lot, finally coming to a rest three stalls away. I lay there for several minutes, certain - certain - I had broken my foot and/or my leg. I didn't want to look and see a compound fracture so I didn't; I just lay there, kinda crying, kinda laughing.

Fortunately, I didn't break anything, though I could barely walk for a couple of days. Right leg, especially my knee, still bothering me. I knew this going in, but I always have to learn the hard way: at 55, I'm too old to start a BMX career. It was fun while it lasted, just didn't last too long. Really loved the little Sunday Broadcaster, too.

But I'm still going to ride this year, and not build. Now I'll be sticking to the numerous paved paths available here in Virginia, spinning my legs and trying to keep the blood flowing. Picked this up today:

View attachment 52850

2016 Electra Moto 1. First Chinese mainland bike I've ever owned, and a little bit of me died when I bought it, honestly. The rest that's still alive digs it, though. We'll see how she holds up this summer and fall, and if she hangs in, she'll earn some nice upgrades this winter.

Sure do put a lot on nonsense on these bikes, that's for certain:

View attachment 52851

Lots of cool builds coming together this year, even with the reduced participation. Enjoying watching you all create.

furyus
Well, at least you survived and didn't buy a micargi.

Last edited by a moderator:
yep, it's not the riding that hurts as we move through the years; it's the crashing....

I notice there are a few RRB regulars like me siting out this Build-Off, I'm doing it because it is just too cold this time of year!

I'm curious, who else is sitting out and why? :39:

I got a bike i'm doing at the moment but it's more of modding than a build so i'm not really posting much about it.

Latest posts

Back