BO10 bike, the DYNO Desert Sabre

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kadillak64

picture me rollin'
Reaction score
Hello all! so this is the start of my build thread. I am rebuilding/upgrading my 95 Dyno coaster #975 (also have a 97 roadster) . I have owned this bike for about 15yrs. The first half of the ownership, the bike was well maintained and properly stored. The second half of my ownership it has been left outside and has met with the elements. Fortunately, I live in So Cal so its not a complete bucket...
So why build now you ask? Well, its kind of my neighbors fault really. He rides by my house on his Electra 8 ball ringing his bell at me all the time! :) So I told him, I am gonna have a better bike than you punk!! (jokingly) I began looking at new bikes. Sitting on them, etc. None of them seemed to fit right. Coming in at 5'11 and 300lbs its kinda hard to do. I feel like a big bear on a tiny bike (see avatar). The last bike I sat on was nice. But I thought, if only it was stretched out just a bit, like,.....like..my DYNO. Wait,...heck, ill just fix my DYNO instead! Then the shopping began, which landed me here, just in time for the build off.
So let me now bore you with some of the history of this bike and some conceptual stuff......
I also own a 97 Roadster. I bought the Coaster first and it was a huge hit. Everyone I knew loved it. Everyone who saw me ride by tripped out on it, honks , smiles, questions....it was fun. My younger brother Derek loved it ALOT. I soon stumbled on the Roadster and bought it sight unseen. Now me and my brother could cruise together in style! They were both stock with the Coaster having a couple upgrades, decals, skull grips a few spikes, etc...
I had built a trike cruiser for my girl at the time with huge apes on it. I couldn't get the chain to line up just right so I parked it for awhile....
One day my bro was over and wanted to go for a cruise. He points to the trike and says,..."hey, I wanna roll with the apes on the Coaster this time!" I thought he was crazy, but we swapped 'em out and rolled out. We rode for about 20 miles that day,...it was awesome. It was also the last time I would ride with my brother. A couple years later my brother passed away. He also loved motorcycles and had a chopper. (I have a Heritage softail) We often talked about redoing his bike. The theme was going to be WWII / Korean war fighter plane'ish. Our grandpa flew a Corsair in the Korean war. We had talked about doing a theme bike in memory of our gandpa out of my bro's chopper. My brother passed before we could do the theme and I gave the chopper to his best friend who keeps it the way my bro had it.
So, my idea was to do a military type theme on this bike. Now, Ive always like the OD green and that was the original plan for the chopper but I think its been overdone.
So I decided to take a diff approach and make it a little more current. I was old enough to have gone to the Gulf War when it was going down. (never joined, don't do well with authority ;)).I had several friends and fam that went. During Desert Storm, there was an operation called Desert Sabre. From Wiki.. "Operation Desert Sabre (early name Operation Desert Sword) was the U.S. name for the airland offensive against the Iraqi Army in the Kuwaiti Theater of Operations (the "100-hour war") from 24–28 February 1991, in itself, part of Operation Desert Storm." So, that's my theme...a build inspired by Desert Storm and tribute to my brother who left too soon...I humbly present to you my build..... Desert Sabre....
Moderator edit: Moved to BO10, after informing Kadillak64 to wait a week. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
IMAG2509.jpg
fresh from behind the shed!!..the Roadster is still hiding back there too!

Last edited:
Wait and post this to next Friday in the BO10 section and don't start working on it till then :)
I wasn't sure if I was to post here under builds for the BO10 being new here. I have not started and will wait till 5/1. Maybe a MOD can move this thread where it should go after 5/1?? please.

I work at an auto body shop... :grin: ...so paint should go pretty quick. Plus, since I've been waiting for the build,..i have a pile of parts!! The color I picked out,...man,..im in love with it!!

Last edited:
Nice story and looks like you already have the parts.
Just splash some paint and away you go.

Props for using the Dyno stretch coaster/roadster! One of my favorite bikes of all time. I really, really wanted to use mine both last year and this. But I only have the 1, and don't want to do something I won't be able to revert it back from!

Nice story and looks like you already have the parts.
Just splash some paint and away you go.
yeah pretty much, not modding the frame or anything crazy, more of a resto/mod . I should have it painted today after work. (we are down to only one spray booth at the shop) Little did I know, Ive been building klunkers and spray bombing them since the 80's !, who knew I was so cool! :cool2: , it wasn't cool back then, it was called, being poor! :21: this will be the first bike that I have done that will have a "proper" paint job!

Latest posts

Back