Bo11 Weevil

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was going to sit this one out because I can't get a cruiser frame, but I'll rebuild this bike again. As of right now, 1.75 wheels and tires, bare metal frame, with some kind of insert are all I have planned. There will be more as I go along. The idea is to have a lightweight and tough bike for city and off road riding. A crank forward riding position is planned also.

DSCI0120.JPG

Okay, this has got to be my favorite build name for BO11
Well played sir.

Interested to see how you are planning the change to crank forward!

Luke.
I'm not changing the frame , just moving the seat farther behind the cranks, so I can put my feet down and stay seated. Like this Higgins I did for my brother. I'll need to get longer handlebars or have some made.
higgins 012.JPG

That would put the seat right over the rear axle. So I'm going to try to take this rear triangle and add it for more wheelbase and rear suspension. My rear hub is 2 speed so I'll need a tensioner for the chain. I have dropout extensions if it doesn't pan out. I'll need some kind of springer fork too for full suspension. So lightweight is out the window. I'm also toying with a pair of stainless tubes mounted to the fork blades for handlebars. That way a slightly larger or smaller diameter tubing won't make a difference.

triangle1.JPG

I didn't like the look of the diamond frame with extra triangle, so I went looking for a frame again this morning. After checking the junk shops again with nothing but scrap mountain bike frames, I checked to see if the bike shops could order a cruiser frame. Nope, everything is road bike or mountain bike even to order. The last stop before giving up was the old guy at the market who had bike parts and a few old frames. He had a frame I was looking for finally. It looked nice and straight and had a usable re-paintjob on it. I needed cranks so I bought that from him too, for just under 20 bucks. I think this is a Patria frame, similar to the ones Joe Conde has used for his builds. Made in the Philippines if it is.
So, I'm using my one frame change and keeping the same name.
new frame.JPG

This is the curviest frame I've seen over here. It reminds me of my 57 Rollfast I rode when I was a busboy at Denny's in the early 70's. It was like this bike, minus the fenders and chain guard.
Vintage-Rollfast-Bicycle.jpg

I was starting to cannibalize the other bike when my better half said "No, get new stuff for it". So, the long shopping list is in the works. LOL! My reinforced seat stem fits perfectly, and it's laid back to boot! I laid out all the other parts that might be used. I like the old Ross 52 tooth chain ring but my 2 speed hub is direct drive in low, so the the 44 tooth chain ring might get used to keep a climbing gear. I have CWC truss rods, but also can make a set using a bracket (heavy) I bought from a member here a few years ago. I may have my bike guy up north make up a set of alloy wheels if the shops don't have decent wheels.
parts2.JPG

Yes, 26".
I was just putting the 24" wheel in there to check when I was told to get new stuff! The shops usually only have cheap steel wheels with bad chrome but I'll find out tomorrow. I did see some nice Maxxis tires though. They also don't use internal geared hubs over here, not even 3 speeds. I'd prefer a 3 with coaster, a 2 speed kickback would work too. Maybe one of the shops will have a hub. if not, up north I go for some wheel building.

I found a pic of the Boll Weevil monument in Enterprise Alabama!
Looks like a bunch of bikes under it.
12 of the World's Ugliest Statues2.jpg

A pair of 3G copper wheels would go realgood right about now. I took a trip up to a city an hour north and tried to see what kind of 26" wheels or rims were available. Mostly all cheaply made steel rims, so I wound up getting a pair back here in Olongapo. I'm close to 100kg, so I need strong wheels. These were the closest color to my frame. I also picked up a couple of hubs, one for the front wheel and one to replace the 2 speed auto I'm stealing from my 20" klunker. It'll be a one speed freewheel now. These are the biggest flange hubs they had, but the color matches the rims. Those rims, with the new cranks and bearings, and pedals all came to just over 20 bucks so I still have some change to spend on this build. Maxxis 26 x 2.10 tires for 15 bucks are available too. Tomorrow, another road trip to drop off the parts so Romy (The bike guy) can get some spokes and lace them up.

DSCI0181.JPG
13230880_1134902876531182_359321678_o.jpg
13236187_1134902929864510_270161688_n.jpg

DSCI0185.JPG
Not much selection in forks, although 26" should be fairly common. I settled for these and I like them. Truss rods won't look right so they go back in the box. This looks more like a klunker, so that's what it will be, with a couple extra things. My wheels should be ready in a week or so, then all it needs is a chain to be a rider.

Latest posts

Back