Board Track Style Bicycle From England ( GRADY ROCKET )

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everone, well after near on finishing my Schwinn Wasp, which some of you might have seen in my intro thread, I decided I wanted
to build a board track style bicycle.I started collecting bits for the build at the begining of the year and putting some ideas together of what
I wanted the bike to look like.I have always loved the very early Harley Davidson and Indian motorcycles, I don't think I shall be owning
one of those in the near future, but building bicycles over the last couple of years has really given me the chance to try and create
rides with something close to that look.This is a little bit of what I have done so far.

My first step was to try and get hold of a frame, and after much searching, I managed to find a nice straight bar Schwinn in good condition.
So I had my base.

bt1.jpg

I have decided to go with a set of repop Monark forks, as I wanted that springer front end look.After reading a few posts on them
and how the welding isn't so good, I may have to pop down my local garage and see if someone can put some stronger welds on
them for me.More on that later.

I also managed to find a Hawthorne Mongomery Ward donor bicycle, which I have dismantled and shall be using most of the parts.
Handle bars, grips, wheels, pedals, head set cups, bearings, crank, fenders etc.. I have cleaned most of the thick dirt and grease from the
parts and have them waiting for the rebuild.I thought it would be easier to use the parts from a bike, rather than trying to piece it all
together and plus I then have another frame for a future build.

I managed to find a very very cool old wrights saddle.Im not going to do anything to it as I don't want the leather to shine, I love the aged
leather and rusty metal.

bt16.jpg

With ideas flowing, I made a start on the tank.I can't weld, something I plan on doing in the future, but I can work with wood, so I went
down to my local B&Q and picked up some inch thick pine.Whilst I was there, I had a look at the paints and ended up finding ones which I
liked.They are a matt brown suede, which has a textured feel and a dark chocolate matt brown.

I made a template on to some card and started cutting out the wood.

bt2.jpg

bt3.jpg

So as it wasn't too heavy, I took some of the weight out the middle planks by drilling holes.

bt4.jpg

Then stuck the pieces together which some super strong no more nails.Gave it a good sand and really worked hard to get the shape I
wanted.

bt5.jpg

bt6.jpg

bt7.jpg

Then Started with the filling.
bt9.jpg

bt11.jpg

Quick undercoat and I laid down the paint on the frame and tank.Using the Suede textured paint first

bt12.jpg

and then the dark matt brown over the top.

bt13.jpg

I have also rubbed and dry brushed on some coppers, browns and greens to give it all that rusty aged effect.

bt14.jpg

bt15.jpg

The Forks also arrived in the post, so made a start on sanding them and gave them a spray and did the same with them as I did with the frame
and tank.

bt17.jpg

bt18.jpg

bt19.jpg

Will head down to the garage hopefully this week and ask about strengthening the welds.

This is how the bicycle stands at the moment.Tank has not been fixed in place yet, hopefully get that done this week.

bt20.jpg

bt24.jpg

Lots more planned.I have some Schwalbe Cream Fat Franks waiting to go on the wheels when i've finished them.
More updates soon.

Charlie :)

Re: Board Track Style Bicycle From England

Excellent work man! very very nice paint! congrats!

I see that Sensor was a good example too :lol: looking good, cant wait to see the finished bike

awesome start man i love that rusty look great job on the paint !!!

awesome! great start!

:shock: WOW :shock: I'd love to watch a video of your rusting applications with paint :D
This is gonna be sweet!

that paint looks great, rusty metal look even on the wood, would be nice if you could describe how you did that,dont exactly understand what you mean by: I have also rubbed and dry brushed on some coppers, browns and greens to give it all that rusty aged effect.
"rub on some coppers ???", maybe its my english. looks really great.

how about a picture heavy how to for those with limited english and for us with ADD. :D :D

Thankyou for the great comments everyone.I have been painting the wheels this afternnon and I have been taking pictures as I went along.I will upload them soon and will hopefully explain the method I used.I achieved the rust look purely by experimenting and playing around with the colours.When I typed copper, what I ment was orange/brown ( Sorry was a bit tired when typing )The colour is called vermin brown, but more of an orange.It drys a rusty copper colour.If that makes sence.As im doing each bit of the rust effect, im refining and adjustiing to try and get it spot on.More soon.

By rubbing I mean applying the paint with a paper cloth or towel.
Dry brushing I mean applying a very fine amount of paint to an area that you want highlighted by using a dry brush.

Looks excellent....very nice job :mrgreen:

Hey char, any chance you used to paint Warhammer 40k miniatures?

I only ask because thats where I learned about dry brushing, painting rust, paint rubbing, and doing layered textures.

Nice work! That is gonna look awesome with some creme tires.

Thanks for nice the comments. :)

Yes Feuerdog I used to paint Warhammer figures for years and I learned a lot of painting tricks, such as dry brushing and building up textures, painting chainmail /armour / ruins and houses.It's great fun! I have used warhammer paints on this build as you'll see in the update on the next page.

Hi everyone, so been doing bit more to the wheels again today, though i've still not finshed the second one yet, I have finished the first one.
so I thought I would upload a few of the pictures that iv'e been taking for you guys to see, so you can see the paint process I have used.

Here are the wheels as I had them from the donor bicycle.

bt21.jpg

First step was to get those cracked tyres off and I gave them a light sand.

bt22.jpg

I then sprayed on the textured suede chocolate paint.( Plasti-kote Suede Touch Chocolate 4310 ).This paint is a really good base and when you run your hand over it, it has the feel of a rusty surface.

bt25.jpg

Then I sprayed on the ( Plastic-Kote Chocolate Praline Matt Super 3107).

bt23.jpg

Then used a water colour paint called ' Burnt Sienna '.You apply it all over, quite roughly, with lots of water so as it sits on the surface,
leaving the drips to run or stay where they want to go.

bt26.jpg

bt27.jpg

Once this has dried, it leaves you with a really nice patchy look, which sort of looks like rusty water marks.

bt28.jpg

bt29.jpg

The next step is to try and get that pitted rusty orange.I did this by using a colour called ' Vermin Brown ' ( a Warhammer Games Workshop Paint ), which is really an orange.Again I used quite a bit of water with this so it goes on easier.With a short bristled brush and a tea spoon, I flicked the paint very very finely on.You need to do this in bits, because if it drys, the orange looks a bit too dark.

bt31.jpg

So once you flick the paint, take a piece of kitchen paper and gently dab off the flicked paint, so you still get the mark but it is subtle.I built up
layers until I had the look I was happy with.

bt32.jpg

bt33.jpg

bt34.jpg

I then used Vermin Brown again in the areas where rust build up would be, around the bottom of the spokes.Just to give it a bit more texture.

bt36.jpg

bt37.jpg

bt38.jpg

Really with this it's a case of doing it in stages and building up layer by layer.I did use some moss coloured greens and olive greens on the
frame and tank but this doesn't look quite right on the rims for some reason.I may add some more colours once I have the tyres on.

So that's about it for tonight.I still need to finish off the second wheel.It takes so long, but worth it in the end.I need to pop down to my local
bike shop and pick up some new inner tubes.

Charlie

Very impressive work.

I've painted a few a Space Marines in my time, but i'm pretty sure they look pretty basic compared to yours.

Again, nice, and thanks for the technique.

excellent art work man! you are a great artist! congrats!

Latest posts

Back