BOTEN - B4C Built "The Immaculate Deception" - She's Done, Boys and Girls!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, guys, Here goes nothing!!!

My name is officially in the BOTEN hat! Meet...

"The Immaculate Deception"

Back in December, Tyler (Double Nickle) posted this on IG for sale....

IMG_0298%5B1%5D.PNG

Being a sucker for old Murrays, I bit! Here's how it arrived at my place...

IMG_0299%5B1%5D.PNG

Sorry for the IG pics! I can't find any of my normal pics! If I find them, I'll edit and insert!!!

Last edited:
Can't go wrong with a Liner frame!

Can't go wrong with a Liner frame!

Yep! This is my lone Spaceliner-style men's frame. I have two other men's bikes...
My BO7 "Brightliner" Flightliner...

DSCN8058.JPG

and a swap meet Flightliner.

IMG_3219%5B1%5D.JPG

I also have a ladies 'Liner I'm going to build for my wife!

IMG_3220%5B1%5D.JPG

Four in all!!!

EDIT: Duh!!!

I totally forgot that I traded for a FIFTH (5th) 'Liner...I don't know the retailer, but it's my second Spaceliner-style bike!

IMG_3315.JPG

EDIT: Second Spaceliner pic added!

Last edited:
I remember Brightliner well. Sweet build.

So a plan was hatched! I always thought fixies were cool...svelte bikes with a plethora of colors and themes! Hippie, punk, grunge, monochrome, bling....you name it, you could find it! Fixie it is....or is it?!?!

The one thing I love about fixies is simplicity. Smooth clean lines, but one thing always bothered me...the front brake and lever just looked "add-on"! But after reading and chatting with several folks, I realized the brake was a necessary evil with either side of the flip-flop hub!

Before....
IMG_3212%5B1%5D.JPG

Enter the "deception"....

I'm a big fan of coaster brakes! Again, clean lines and no clutter! While on another cyber-shopping trip on our favorite parts e-warehouse, I found and won a Sturmey-Archer two-speed kick-back coaster hub....in black!!! Now all I had to do is relace the 700c rear rim to the S-A hub!

...AFTER!
IMG_3216%5B1%5D.JPG

Even the original (to the wheelset) spokes worked! I must be living right...

IMG_3217%5B1%5D.JPG

Last edited:
Many of you may have seen "Spirit of Evel" as built by OutlawAlice. I've known her and her husband for a while...met them several years ago through my "other" obsession, old hot rods! Well, we find out that we have a common interest in bikes AND she finds out that I pinstripe as a hobby!

Flash forward to about a year ago...she buys an AMF muscle bike from a buddy of mine and starts doing her homework. Turns out it's a "Spirit of 76" bike, which shares much with the Evel Kneivel bikes of the same period. She sends me some pics of the graphics on the 76 bike and asks if I can duplicate them on her bike. I agree to stripe it...she agrees to give me "artistic freedom"...and SoE is born! Finish it up and she loves it, and I'm relieved!

IMG_3213%5B1%5D.JPG

IMG_2750%5B1%5D.JPG

IMG_2751%5B1%5D.JPG

So, back to ID...She and her husband own a powdercoating business! (See where I'm going?!?!?!) In payment for striping her bike, she agrees to PC my new 'Liner frame! Now the chore of selecting a color....orange? red? rootbeer brown? All would be cool, but something's not just right....

Before I sent it off, I sandblasted all the old paint and rust off. After I was done, I noticed the metal had a pink hue to it...this thing used to be CHROMED! Also (on a more negative note) the bottom tube had been externally brased (all Murray frames are internally brased at the head tube and bottom bracket). I spent the time needed with a small rat-tail file to make it as right as possible. Thirdly, once OutlawAlice got it in-house, they found a crack in the bottom bracket. Luckily, they were able to TIG the crack closed and dress it. They did a phenomenal job.

FLAT BLACK!!! BOOM!!! With all the anodized gold and chrome bits, this thing will be sweet! Got it back and I couldn't be happier with the decision!

IMG_3043%5B1%5D.JPG

IMG_3046%5B1%5D.JPG

IMG_3044%5B1%5D.JPG

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of coaster brakes! Again, clean lines and no clutter! While on another cyber-shopping trip on our favorite parts e-warehouse, I found and won a black Sturmey-Archer two-speed kick-back coaster hub....in black!!! Now all I had to do is relace the 700c rear rim to the S-A hub!
Cool plan!

Luke.

Here "Immaculate Deception" is all apart, just before I start assembly!

IMG_3224%5B1%5D.JPG

Hard to believe this is EVERYTHING for the build (minus the seat tube clamp)!

First I installed the headset bearing races, then greased the bearings before threading everything together. OutlawAlice provided a little bling to the build by coating the fork crown cover in metallic gold!!

IMG_3230%5B1%5D.JPG

Next, I installed the chainring on the crank....

IMG_3228%5B1%5D.JPG

Then installed the crank with the black bottom bracket set....

IMG_3232%5B1%5D.JPG

IMG_3234%5B1%5D.JPG

Bearings in!! Frame assembled!

Next I mounted the rear wheel/tire...

IMG_3235%5B1%5D.JPG

It's kind of a tight fit....

IMG_3236%5B2%5D.JPG

BTW, the rear tire is a 700c x 35 Kenda Kwest.

On to the front....

Xk8mlTqon18aRFdYM1XMDW8UjiZ06KZ1aEZZe32YhdlP=w592-h789-no

...which is also a Kenda Kwest, but it's a 700c x 25! Big-n-little!

And the stem/bar/grip assembly...

IMG_3242%5B1%5D.JPG

IMG_3243%5B1%5D.JPG

IMG_3244%5B1%5D.JPG

Last edited:
Forgot to mention one of our own...

Thanks to Smoopy, I have a NOS Murray headset for ID! In fact, I picked up 4 for this and several future builds!

Thanks Smoopy!

Now for the oops of the night...

Went to install the hyper-light pedals....WHAAAAA?!?!?!? THEY DON'T FIT!!!!

Didn't even think about what size thread I needed!!! Now I have to find another set of super cool pedals!

Anyone need some 9/16" lightweight gold anodized pedals?

So, I called it a night! Regroup in the morning. Gotta start cooking pig in 2 hours........

Latest posts

Back