BOTEN - B4C Built "The Immaculate Deception" - She's Done, Boys and Girls!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have lived in Arkansas now for 9 years. BBQ is okay here and there. But WOO-PIG-SOOIE is everywhere, which I have not got used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I had a little time last night, so I pulled the rear wheel, inverted the frame and whipped out my large rat-tail file! The dropout slots are now 5mm (3/16") deeper and gives just enough room to slide the wheel back and NOT use a half link in the chain! Got it all pieced back together, chain and new pedals installed.

Looked at the time.....11:15pm! Yep, just enough time for a quick test ride! I still have to do a little tuning and tightening, but this thing will have a little SPEED to it! I know the chainring is a 44-tooth unit, but I'll have to check on the rear sprocket...I think its a 16-tooth. Anyway, in overdrive, it has roadbike-ish speed. I may have to find a larger rear sprocket!!!!

Our local Relay For Life event is tonight, so I will not be able to post pics until Sunday sometime, so stay tuned....

Quick update.....

Work has been a bear (complaining) and we've had the grands a fair amount (not complaining!), so time has been at a premium. But there HAS been progress.

I took ID to the beach for Memorial Day and had a couple good rides. Before I left, I thought it would be a good idea to mount some reflectors front and rear. I thought I had some amber reflectors, but the white/red combo would have to suffice.

Once at the beach, I took a couple nice shakedown rides. One ride revealed that I had not tightened the handlebar clamp...OOPS! On the late night ride, I had felt a popping/skipping in the drive (either chain or gearing) but could not pinpoint the culprit. On my beach rides, it became painfully apparent that there was a major problem with the internal gears in low gear. It felt as if the gears were jumping or skipping when I put some torque to the crank. So I was really worried about having to tear into something I have never worked on before (not that that has stopped me before).

I mention my problem to my buddy that owns the LBS, and he shows me two 2-speed automatic hub internal assemblies. He went on to tell me that the early Sturmey-Archer units had some "deficiencies" in them and that, if they agree the symptoms are consistent with their findings, they would offer to replace the assembly at no charge. Needless to say I called and there is a new internal hub assembly on its way to me!

For you guys that are only interested in visual stimulation, here you go.....

01c36dde95843b1e1ecf1fc634820de171eb41eba1.jpg

01fd5e94c1412180fe4ec2479bb2d8b3e4cbba63ea.jpg

018e41888c76dc962e4bdd6cf8e8a03abc2d0e58c5.jpg

01d8f5f1e329a4c6e13a3abb40315cedda57d1165e.jpg

011dae25bb956a19a9c15a9119b8279f6ed52a3625.jpg

Man that is a sweet looking ride!!!
Glad you have a new hub on the way.

Thanks Luke & KF!

I'm enjoying it a ton! Lots of admirers when I'm out and about! I'm really looking forward to debugging this one and riding it! Seriously considering an occasional attempt at commuting with it! About 9 miles for the bike-friendly route.

And to make ready for problem-free riding, I picked up some tire liners today! I'll install them this weekend!

Quick update.....

Work has been a bear (complaining) and we've had the grands a fair amount (not complaining!), so time has been at a premium. But there HAS been progress.

I took ID to the beach for Memorial Day and had a couple good rides. Before I left, I thought it would be a good idea to mount some reflectors front and rear. I thought I had some amber reflectors, but the white/red combo would have to suffice.

Once at the beach, I took a couple nice shakedown rides. One ride revealed that I had not tightened the handlebar clamp...OOPS! On the late night ride, I had felt a popping/skipping in the drive (either chain or gearing) but could not pinpoint the culprit. On my beach rides, it became painfully apparent that there was a major problem with the internal gears in low gear. It felt as if the gears were jumping or skipping when I put some torque to the crank. So I was really worried about having to tear into something I have never worked on before (not that that has stopped me before).

I mention my problem to my buddy that owns the LBS, and he shows me two 2-speed automatic hub internal assemblies. He went on to tell me that the early Sturmey-Archer units had some "deficiencies" in them and that, if they agree the symptoms are consistent with their findings, they would offer to replace the assembly at no charge. Needless to say I called and there is a new internal hub assembly on its way to me!

For you guys that are only interested in visual stimulation, here you go.....

01c36dde95843b1e1ecf1fc634820de171eb41eba1.jpg

01fd5e94c1412180fe4ec2479bb2d8b3e4cbba63ea.jpg

018e41888c76dc962e4bdd6cf8e8a03abc2d0e58c5.jpg

01d8f5f1e329a4c6e13a3abb40315cedda57d1165e.jpg

011dae25bb956a19a9c15a9119b8279f6ed52a3625.jpg
That is a great shot right there! The contrast between the colors, and the modern, yet vintage vibe combo is spot on....nice work!

Hello, gorgeous bike. I had been building a similar bike in my head but the deal for the frame fell through. I have a question about your chainring. I have been looking at a similar ring that is for a 3/32" width chain. Is this the case with yours, and are you running a 3/32" or 1/8" chain? Again, awesome bike.

Hello, gorgeous bike. I had been building a similar bike in my head but the deal for the frame fell through. I have a question about your chainring. I have been looking at a similar ring that is for a 3/32" width chain. Is this the case with yours, and are you running a 3/32" or 1/8" chain? Again, awesome bike.

Keen eye!!! Yes, it's a 3/32 chainring, but I'm still running a 1/8 chain. Got mine at Niagaracycle.com for under $10!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In remembering a great American icon today, I leave you with a quote that so accurately describes my current position on Immaculate Deception.....

"Well, I have the inclination, the maturity, and the wherewithal, but unfortunately, I don't have the time!" - John Wayne in The Cowboys

Latest posts

Back