Bourbon & Blue - FINISHED -

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm a new member here and caught the vintage cycling bug about a year ago when I bought my wife a original and complete Firestone Speed Chief. At the same time I picked up a '57 Schwinn Phantom that had been rattle-canned to death and built with other various parts over the years. At the time I didn't know how old it was and had no idea that it was a real Phantom at it's core. The springer fork & hardware, frame, and some misc pieces were the only original parts left, but it did come with a nice '39 Shelby sprocket that caught my eye. We live in Speedway, Indiana and are 4 blocks from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and about a mile from Main Street. We ride every chance we get down to the restaurants / bars / and breweries that populate Main Street, and love the looks and conversations that my wife's Firestone start. While "Peggy" (my wife's Firestone) is perfect as she sits unrestored with gorgeous patina, the '57 looked like any other old bike. I knew I wanted to build something from it but had never decided what. So, finally I'm off on the build path, and interested to see how things go.... wish me luck with build-off #11, my first.

Here's what has inspired this build....

THH_BasilHayden.jpg
Boardtracker.jpg

the '57 and some sketches of where I think I'm headed

IMG_2653.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-05-18 at 2.31.44 PM.png

some old and some new

parts.png

After stripping the frame / forks, there were a bunch of very small pits that were covered up when the '57 was rattle-canned... more priming, sanding, filling / priming, etc. Here's where we are as of today.

DSCN0869.JPG
DSCN0872.JPG

Your illustrations are nice. Looks like you must do a little graphic design as well? That is my main money maker.
Best wishes on the build. This is my first as well.
Thanks! I'm the owner / principal of my own company. We specialize in brand development and acceleration, so everything from graphic design, digital media, web, 3d visualization is fair game to us. Good luck with your build as well.

Welcome to the forum and BO-11! This is a group like non-other!
Being a 'classic' myself, I like your #3 sketch the best. Your brick red rims with some matching grips would be a nice fit. Or, go with the brick red tires and do a cream on the rims.....

This is what it's all about, lay your ideas and thoughts on the board and have others react / suggest / compliment them!

You have a great bike to start.....Rat on!

Here's some shots of Peggy and a '61 unrestored Breeze we found for our 2nd oldest daughter.
IMG_2703.jpg
IMG_2737.jpg

Really struggling on the rim/tire choice.... i'd love some 50 or 57mm wide deep-v 26-inchers, but I don't think those exist. I also am thinking about the copper 57mm 3g rims built with stainless spokes and polished aluminum hubs. For the tires I'm pretty set on antique white / cream and I'm betting I'll have to stick with 2.125's which should fill out somewhere around 2.5" on the 57mm rims. I want to stuff the widest & tallest tire in the frame / fork without "adjusting" the stays, etc. Thoughts anyone?

Really struggling on the rim/tire choice.... i'd love some 50 or 57mm wide deep-v 26-inchers, but I don't think those exist. I also am thinking about the copper 57mm 3g rims built with stainless spokes and polished aluminum hubs. For the tires I'm pretty set on antique white / cream and I'm betting I'll have to stick with 2.125's which should fill out somewhere around 2.5" on the 57mm rims. I want to stuff the widest & tallest tire in the frame / fork without "adjusting" the stays, etc. Thoughts anyone?

Sounds like you're right in the ballpark of what will fit. The deep v rims in the illustration look cool. Nice parts selection.

Looks like you're off to a great start. Never seen a black Schwinn Breeze. Nice bikes there.

Way to start your first build off . Looks like you have some great plans & a few sweet bikes that you've already got rolling. Welcome to the fun & build some rolling art [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SO.... I stumbled over this today. Got me thinking!!

freedom.jpg

Latest posts

Back