Brain buckets

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looking at getting a helmet "finally" as the wife says. just curios what everyone uses and what they think of there helmet I am having trouble picking something that is safe and cool looking.

Thanks

giro is what I use, very comfy with great venting. also came with a crash replacement warranty if memory serves!

Troy

I wear an older Bell City helmet for cruzin', stylin', and running errands. My swoopy Bell Alchera is for more "serious" club road and long-distance rides so I don't look like an upright commuter. Gotta make that first impression!:p

Gotta tell a story.
I was working at my first bike shop, 8th grade, and my school teacher came in, naturally I waited on him. He needed a helmet. None fit. His head was huge, he is 6'8" tall.
So I ordered a xxl bell? had, when it came in, it didn't fit. My boss (d-runk) says, "get him a bucket!" I could have died right then.....

... I am having trouble picking something that is ... cool looking.

GLWT. I wear a Giro Xen when I'm riding trails, b/c (a) that's wear I'm more likely to crash and (b) there's few ppl there to see me. :crazy: I wear that same Giro helmet at SO Cycling practice b/c Coach=role model, in theory, so if the athletes gotta wear'm, I'd better wear one, too. But I don't wear a helmet when I'm JRA b/c I don't see the point. And, even the coolest cyclists wearing the coolest helmets on the coolest bikes never quite look cool with a "brain bucket" on. Just my opinion.:rockout:

From living in no helmet law states, I now know why it's called a "brain bucket."
Yup, they work!

As far as helmet testing goes, what a joke!!! Their, "test," in no way replicates real world situations! They drop a weighted spike x number of inches, directly into the top. No side testing, no requirement for helmet to have sides/ear coverage.
That being said, Bell recommends replacing a helmet after ONE DROP. In other words, if it falls of the table, it's junk.

Hey guys thanks for all the input and letting me know what you wear I am more or less getting a helmet to make my wife feel more comfortable with my computing to work. I have searched a while but I thinking found one from nutcase.

It looks kinda hot rodish and I got some cool vinyl stickers for it...

Don't wear a stack hat,but I do have one,leather with ear flaps...

1+ on the Giro Xen my daily rider it's taken a number of hits in Colorado on mtb trails and on the street . I have a leather covered skate style Giro for the cruisers. Got a Nutcase gen 3 on order for the grandsons birthday next week he's 4 and just this week got the hang of riding on his own. I'm not a believer in any hit replace the helmet ..if it didn't compress or crack or break the suspension I'm good to go . They can sell a lot more helmets if the scare factor is there.

Hey guys thanks for all the input and letting me know what you wear I am more or less getting a helmet to make my wife feel more comfortable with my computing to work. I have searched a while but I thinking found one from nutcase.

It looks kinda hot rodish and I got some cool vinyl stickers for it...
Good choice, always feel safer with a plastic shell.

I just got a Bern Bentwood got my first ride tonight but its light and feels lots better then the old skate style helmet I used to wear. I also like the hat visor, its removable and they make a winter insert for it to keep your head warn in the winter.
60152575.jpg

Latest posts

Back