Brass Monkey (new-old bars)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Brass Monkey (update 7-24)

Okay, finally got around to the patina on the frame and forks.

027-1.jpg

It was a multi-step process. 1. The "secret sauce" It starts the rust on the bare metal, but more importantly it gives the paint an aged, grungy look.

029-1.jpg

2. Salt and vinegar is sprayed on and left to dry, and the frame is rinsed with water. Instant rust!

031.jpg

3. It is all steel wooled, which removes the loose rust. I then used commercially available gun blue to darken the metal.

030-1.jpg

4. I waxed it all, which not only protects the patina and paint, but also brings out the color. And gives a nice sheen!

028.jpg

That's it for now. Once I get my "new" handlebars I'll install them with another stem which is a little rustier and switch to some black grips, and she'll be close to DONE.

Re: Brass Monkey (patina time!!!)

I can't see the pic....are those chips? Actually what works really good is if you get a big mouthful, chew 'em up, and then lick the frame. :lol:

haha... yeah... you must be psychic. :)

i copied that pic direct from the web... i cant figure out why it's not working.

I like the chips idea!
On mine I just stripped it down to bare metal and left it outside for about 10 years. much less work but has a nice natural feel to it.
I guess your way works too if you're in a hurry :mrgreen:
looks really great, you may have to patent and bottle your secret sauce, I even like the name "secret sauce"
Scott 8)

Then you can leave the chip rubbed bike outside and let birds peck at it...maybe it will give it interesting scratches...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Boneshaker said:
I can't see the pic....are those chips? Actually what works really good is if you get a big mouthful, chew 'em up, and then lick the frame. :lol:
Man you guys are sick...I love this place. :mrgreen:

Mr. Farrell said:
salt and vinegar huh?

do you think i could just rub some of these all over a frame? :lol:
Salt_Vinegar_Chips_11_75oz.169185308_std.jpg

Mmmmmmm so good. I love me some tater chips mmmmhmm. lol :D specially those kind.

You might just have my vote. xD love this bike. idk how you could pull off that fake rust look.. well not fake but u know what i mean lol. I love it dude.

I think I'm gonna break down and post some pics of the whole bike tonight.......I can't resist the urge anymore! I love my bike!!!! :mrgreen:

Here you go......I couldn't hold out anymore. These aren't the handlebars I'll be running, but for now they'll do.

001-4.jpg

The hand-formed brass tank.

003-2.jpg

Love that fender!!!

004.jpg

As soon as I get the other bars I'll put the finishing touches on it. Suggestions? Comments? Concerns???

thanks for posting those!looks great :mrgreen: and also thanks for the salt&vinager tip(might have to use that on my tank...its gonna need a ton of aging)

Latest posts

Back