BSA Paratrooper replica

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always been a fan of all things military especially the WW II era, during the war the
British came up with a bike that could be parachuted in for simple transport for the
troops on the ground. So this will be my attempt at a replica of a BSA Paratrooper.

Here's a link and some pic's off the net.
http://bsamuseum.wordpress.com/1942-1945-bsa-airborne-bicycle-para-bike/
2lu419d.jpg
11v0313.jpg

qs74b9.jpg
2z65ym8.jpg

Started out with a couple of these canti frames from my stash, needed two so I could
get two sets of tubes which make up the frame.
v5agl1.jpg
o9qzxh.jpg

As you can see the pedal crank hangs below the frame so cut one from the scrap pile.
20sc9cw.jpg
2nu582a.jpg

Got myself a roller, one of my inspirations for this build this cool WW II light I found.
eqtcpg.jpg
25sagjo.jpg

243kwhs.jpg
uvswy.jpg

Until I welded up this frame I thought it may be a bit weak and light weight, of course if it
was going to parachute with you it would have to be light, the little tubes really add some
strength yet she is still quite light. Yeah I know my welds are average, arch welding with
2mm rolds and low amps are my only option, lots of bondo and you will never know!
mic61k.jpg
25h0mtu.jpg

The bars were a curse to get right, three sets cut up to get the right look!
2hn8hvp.jpg

BSA for front sprocket cut out of a bit of scrap steel then cleaned up with a file. I do have an
original BSA crank on an old Australian made Malvern Star but she will remain complete,
used the sprocket as a template for the letters.

29xxlop.jpg
2v7xp1d.jpg

ouy0xe.jpg
j58s8y.jpg

Fair bit of bondo sanding and then primer, don't have a compressor for painting at present
so will get her ridable in primer then top coat some time down the track. I really should but
may not go for the folding option, as said above she's just a replica and I want to ride her
have a fear that going for a foldable version may ruin the thing!

Loving the ingenuity of this one! Gonna be fun to watch.

Cool idea, and it looks really good so far. You know, you could fab up the clamps on the frame, without actually cutting it and making it foldable, and you'd have the look spot on.

Keen to hear your thoughts noodlenoggin, would love to have her folding but a bit
scared if the hinges are'nt perfectly lined up she won't fold evenly. Plus they will
have to be strong, don't need a fold up in the middle of a ride down a hill!

Keen to hear your thoughts noodlenoggin, would love to have her folding but a bit
scared if the hinges are'nt perfectly lined up she won't fold evenly. Plus they will
have to be strong, don't need a fold up in the middle of a ride down a hill!

I'm thinking if you're doing more of an homage than a total recreation, you could leave the frame tubes intact, and make something that looks like the original clamps:

BSA Clamp
by sunliner500, on Flickr

You'd maintain the structural integrity, and have the look.

Love what you're doing man, looks great so far.
Those bars are very similar to the standards used on british rod bikes (see pics), maybe you could find one of those.
Dig the headlight, I have one exactly like that, it was on my "WWII Bomber bike"

2424661580101087470ODyuSa_fs.jpg

2353958430101087470KNtGGq_fs.jpg

Build looks great, keep it up!

Last edited:
The original designers weren't thinking about the soldiers (um, how to say it:39:) ... 'little soldiers' when they designed the fastener on the top tube.:43:
Gives new meaning to the term 'wing nuts'!:13:
2lu419d.jpg

Maybe your better off not making it a folder.;)

The original designers weren't thinking about the soldiers (um, how to say it:39:) ... 'little soldiers' when they designed the fastener on the top tube.:43:
Gives new meaning to the term 'wing nuts'!:13:
2lu419d.jpg

Maybe your better off not making it a folder.;)

Meh. Art is pain.

With MG42 fire and 88 shells exploding next to you, that fastener is not the heaviest thing on your mind.
Thinking about all the gear and ammo paratroopers had to jump/glide with... plus a bike...they were heroes just for that!

Steam nut is just the same quick release idea used on British Airborne jeep's
qs74b9.jpg
BritishAirborneJeep048.jpg

I'm feeling the need for a bike like this!!! Keep posting progress pics man!!! :grin:

Another pointy bit to catch yourself on ouch!!! Been thinking about all the details
on this thing for a bit, tossed up between details and practicality, decided to go
with a ridable replica. After all she will never be the real thing so a bike that I
can ride safely and look close to the real thing is my aim. Foldable, still a bit
undecided I think so, but hope I don't ruin the thing??!!

So got this thing to ridable last weekend, she is real light which is nice, the straight
handle bars take a bit to get used to!
f0onky.jpg
19rs4n.jpg

etvehg.jpg
2yzkigm.jpg

fu2vcy.jpg
34nfotz.jpg

One cool thing about riding this thing with the twin tube frame is you can see the
front wheel between the tubes, which will be okay on dry roads. One thing though
those troops during WW II would have spent a lot of time on muddy roads, the front
tyre would have flicked a lot of mud all over them!?
12388ev.jpg
15gvyux.jpg

Found a 1/35th scale kit of my bike.
2zyd0za.jpg
3451lr8.jpg

Don't have a compressor right now so will be a while before she gets some green paint!

Latest posts

Back