Built in Africa

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My English inspired retro ride. Built from a brand new Chinese frame. 40's,50's and 60's frames are hard to come by in South Africa so i had to improvise. White tires are also a pain in the ... to find! These are Continental 'Retro ride' tyres.
ScreenShot2012-10-05at80934AM_zps8f34feca.png

Hey Mick, that bike is awesome, great to see a South African build, where are you based?

I'm in Cape Town, I've been keeping my eyes open for anything like the cool old frames that the US guys get, but no luck so far, it doesn't seem like many non-diamond frames ever made it onto our shores.

That thing is super sweet! Great job on the build. I think the essence of a Rat is building what you like with what you have available!

So you have a higher res version? This would make a great desktop background :D

Good to see such cool bikes coming from SA .

I am from South Africa myself , and love bikes and bicycles . I love the oldschool bikes like boardtrackers .I am currently living in Greenville , South - Carolina, but are originally from Uitenhage , in the Eatern Cape . Where are you from ?

I am waiting for my boardtracker frame from Michigan . So soon , soon I will have my own thing going .

Once again , cool bike BROER .

Those white tires, they are really worth the effort. They really set your bike off with that Black Frame. Very Nice Rebuild!!

Thanks guys! Great getting the encouragement from a community of fellow bike lovers like this. :D I've only been doing this for 6 months and I'm nuts about it. Loving the boardtraker look! Need to experiment with some other frames. Didn't know there were so many South Africans on this forum! Awesome!

I think the cycling crowd here in Johannesburg don't always get the dropped handlebars and white tires vibe on these retro bikes, but with that said I'm starting to see more cruisers and interesting bikes on our not very bike and pedestrian friendly city streets. I ride my bike on our city's Critical Mass once a month and i get allot of compliments and allot of weird looks. Since i posted that pic one of my white tires has turned a grayish beige color. Probably due to me riding it with the incorrect amount of inflation. Great. Do you think i can find a replacement? Nooooo! I apparently got the last set in the country! If anyone has a bright idea on how to get white 26" tires here, i would appreciate it cause all the bike shops I've asked either don't know what I'm talking about or say they cant get them.

I need a trip to the US i think. I'd be shipping so much stuff home! :shock:

Check out my blog. Its a bit sparse at the moment but hoping to build it up a bit.

http://westcycleworks.blogspot.com/

Latest posts

Back