can this seat's stains be removed?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got this mooneyes seat and it would be mint if not for the discoloring. i am not happy with this seat. the pics didn't show imperfections when i bought it. the chrome is perfect, and no ware or tear at all. if not for the color this could pass off as nos. seat cover is vinyl. don't want to use any cleaner that might damage it. i think it was either armor all or sunlight that darkened the vinyl over time. seat is around 13 years old now so great shape otherwise. does any one know of a trick to getting it clean or is it a case of learn to live with it?
m5.jpg
m4.jpg
m2.jpg
m6.jpg

If there are any boatshops nearby you, go ask in there. Boat seats are often vinyl so they'll know how to clean them well without causing damage. I'd recommend trying out some gentle home cleaners or even whitening toothpaste, but I don't wanna give advice that might end up ruining your seat. Idea: buy some colored vinyl and test out cleaning agents on that first to see if it damages it, then try on the seat. Good luck!

That doesn't even look like a stain to me, but rather the nature of the material. Some vinyls just don't age gracefully.

Looks like fading in the vinyl itself or the dye. Don't go too aggressive or you'll strip the Mooneyes printing.

I've had good luck with the white, slimy hand cleaner. No grit version. Works all over on bikes, fabric stains, even dissolves tar and bugs on my car.

Latest posts

Back