Can you drill more spoke holes in a deep V?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaxRhapsody

Rhapsodic Laviathan
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a set I want to keep but the rear one needs to have more spokes. THe spokes are arranged in seven groups of four. I was thinking adding about 28 or so more spokes because the wheel isn't really that strong as it is, nor put up with hard city riding.

I bet those wheels are stronger than you think. Your big problem will be that no one makes a 56 hole hub. You can drill the existing hub but that often proves difficult. Your best bet would be to find a new 36h wheelset that would be plenty strong.

I would just buy different wheels. Drilling some holes in one wouldn't be a good idea in my opinion; they're actually very strong wheels. I had a guy come over from craigslist and he had a friend who worked for Velocity and said he carried way too much pride, haha. :wink:

The wheel itself is strong, its the spoke layout that makes it weak. They are arranged in 8 sets of four. They are a set of swiftarrivs. I wanted to add more spokes maybe so theres 40.
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l277/ ... 211851.jpg
How strong do you think that looks? Thats another reason I want to add spokes to it. Because the hub isnt common. I ride hard and stripped the bearing race from one side of it. I domt see why I cant add 4 extra holes between every set already there. If it would damage the rim, ill just find another black deep v for the back. If you can just buy one and not a set.

Latest posts

Back