Can't find a comfortable seat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know you said no Brooks, but they have a line of rubber saddles now that should have no trouble with mud and water. I have not tried them and they're a little more expensive than I'd like to take a chance on (though not if I knew I'd like them), but they've been out for a few years, so there should be plenty of feedback from users. They have a wider one now, too. My guess is that they probably wouldn't work with your back, but thought I'd throw it out there because saddles are a weird thing and you just never seem to know.

When they first came out the early reviews said they didn't last, the rubber tore right away.

I'm rebuilding an old track bike. I bought a new Persons #77 Race saddle, which they have been making starting at least since the 1930s. Persons is still a US company but all their saddles are made overseas. The #77 race looks like a Brooks, but has the Persons logo and embossing on the leather and since it is an American bike I thought I would go with it and it only cost $58. I put it on my road bike in my velodrome stand and so far have 30 miles on it. Right away, before it is even broken in, I noticed the comfort. The leather gives on your sit bones. The old track bike is crusty and didn't look right with the new saddle so I thought I would give it some wear before putting it on my early bike. I have two unmounted Brooks road bike saddles and I am going to have to figure out a way to keep the underside dry as the leather saddle seems to be the most comfortable one I have found. I always hated Brooks because the puddles would ruin them and they would stretch and wow out on the sides. I might be able to make a flexible plastic plate that fits tightly under the Brooks and then seal the edges with Sho Goo. Worth a try as this is the most comfortable saddle so far. I also don't know how the stiff leather will hold up on a snow bike. We have a lot of puddles and I ride road and MB. The MB trails have incredible deep puddles, one goes through the outflow of a new beaver .... that is washing out the trail and your feet get underwater. You can leave on a clear weather road bike ride only to have a shower come up off Lake Superior or Lake Michigan. This seems to have occurred every time I used my Brooks saddles in the late 60s and early 70s. I quit using them because of the rain. I tried a shower cap but that didn't help. Back then bikes started coming with plastic seats and I would replace them with he Brooks, but I went back to plastic because I used to be able to sit on anything for a long time without discomfort. Perhaps I'll have to buy several Brooks saddles a year if they give me enough comfort, it might be worth riding them in the wet and replacing them.

Last edited:
Very cool, they have some cool colors at a very non-brooks price :thumbsup:.

Jason
It looks like a quality saddle, thick no blemish leather. It's made in India so the cattle probably aren't managed for fast growth, which produces inferior leather. It could be even better than a Brooks, time will tell. So far I'm impressed with it. I have 50 miles on it now and it still looks new. I ran my fingers over it to see if my sit bones are making an indentation but so far it isn't breaking in. It's comfortable but I think it will get even more comfortable. The finish color on the leather is very shiny and may not be as good as the Brooks but so far it hasn't cracked or chipped. The metal structure and rails are copper plated and I'll probably end out carefully rubbing them with nitrate and and a weak acid so they form a green copper patina.

I find their springs slightly harder then ones on Velo made saddles (used by Nirve, Dyno, Electra, etc.) Maybe i just have a bad experience trying the wrong ones, but from a few i have ridden on i have a similar feeling, that they were not absorbing the shock as well as my Electra saddle does.

I agree. I weigh 220, and I think the springs they put on my Gipsy model are just for looks. I do like that "royal gel" (more like foam rubber) they covered the seat with, but I haven't really used it to know how well it holds up.

Last edited:
I’m not sure what style you are looking for but I used a couple of these cruiser style that have sort of a diamond style pleat stitched into the vinyl cover with something that feels like memory foam. Has the usual springs like a lot of springer cruiser saddles do but also has a web of springs in the center. They are sold under a few names.

I have several brooks. They are ok. I have one that I broke in nicely the rest are meh. sounds stupid but as long as this big cruiser job works with the riding position and style I prefer it.
0DC35FAC-539B-4C25-A373-9D9356DDC08D.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah, most are sold out, or like 80 bucks, plus about 40 to ship, then there's the duty for shipping to Canada, and the exchange rate. I ain't spending more money than I make in a day and a half on a cruiser seat

Note: I really suck at online shopping. Every time I have bought anything online, I have been disappointed.

Yeah, most are sold out, or like 80 bucks, plus about 40 to ship, then there's the duty for shipping to Canada, and the exchange rate. I ain't spending more money than I make in a day and a half on a cruiser seat

Note: I really suck at online shopping. Every time I have bought anything online, I have been disappointed.
Yeah that sucks, I've bought a lot of stuff online and have had mostly good experiences but with much due diligence.

I’ve bought 3 of them online before covid.
availability wasn’t consistent even then and that seemed to effect pricing. I don’t remember them being that expensive.

I'm a pretty skinny fella, the big seats hurt the bottom of my cheeks!
While I don't suffer back problems I did notice the Adamo really lessened lower back stress. It's goofy to get used to. Very flat.
I feel the rest of my "rider" saddles would shock most, bigger isn't always better!

Attachments

• 16159384535075529470126257674560.jpg
    16159384535075529470126257674560.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 92
This was the 1st result when I Google search "comfortable bike seat".

This is probably the largest bike seat I have ever seen.

Screenshot_20210415-155545_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210415-155549_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210415-155559_Chrome.jpg

They put it on a fixie...
Screenshot_20210415-155613_Chrome.jpg

Funny Exercise
Screenshot_20210415-155619_Chrome.jpg

Latest posts

Back