Captain Gold Rush

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
It's been a while since I've documented a build. I've been thinking of this one for a while. It starts with a 1961 26" Schwinn Skipper as the foundation. I have learned that this frame has the same geometry of the 1962 Typhoon - both have the twin bars that extend to the rear dropouts. The plans are to amass a ton of gold anodized parts for this Cruiser with the exception of the headbadge which will be a Schwinn Starburst badge. This particular Skipper proved to be a real beast to disassemble with almost every threaded connection rusted to a complete frozen state. Some luck with Liquid Wrench and other products, but some connections had to be cut. At any rate, I'm stuck on the headset / fork combo. Going to have it soak in lubricant for a few days and try again.

Promoted 'Skipper' to 'Captain' hence 'Captain Gold Rush'

Proposed parts list
New Tan wall Snakebelly tires
Ukai Gold rims with coaster
gold Sugino GT cranks and ring
13/16 solid gold aluminum ano Santa Barbara Cruiser seat post
34" wide solid aluminum gold ano Santa Barabra Cruiser bars
Black Brooks saddle
Gold Suntour BMX stem
Gold Tuf Neck Seat Clamp

Pics of actual Starburst Headbadge on its way in the mail. And the Skipper platform.

Badge.jpg
guard.jpg
headbadge.jpg
Picture1.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

I'll be watching to see how this turns out. Will the frame be gold also?

A perfect candidate for the easy way to straighten the forks. Turn the front wheel 180 and gently run the bike into a solid object, like a brick wall. You can judge how hard to bump it by watching the angle of the fork. Once it's straight check for any cracks near the crown.

The alignment of the forks should be in a straight line with the head tube.
images

One thing that is interesting with this frame compared to the '62 Typhoon of the same geometry, is that the '61 Skipper did not have an integrated Schwinn kickstand. It used a bolt-on. Maybe some of you Schwinn experts would know if that was a cost saving effort or maybe the different years of Schwinns changed the type of kickstand from '61 to '62?

Oh yeah - also shaved the chainguard tabs :21:

One of my favorite 60's era frames. I have 2, thats how much I like them. Nothing this clean though. Usually I'm not a big fan of yellow, but this looks fantastic! Nice choice, looking good!

Latest posts

Back