"Chain of Fools" (complete)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was the first bike I "built", about 8yrs. ago. So it has some type of sentimental value, to me. The first version had ape hangers (of course). Laid back 25 inch apes. But it gave the bike what's known as the "tiller" effect. To turn you ran out of room, the handle bars got so far away from you. The second version had extended bars. Looked good, but you had to lean so far forward, that in essence it wasn't a recumbent. So now I'm going to (try) do it right. The bars and stem are going to moved back. They'll have a cog and chain going to another cog on a front stem. This will give me normal steering and I'll be able to sit back and ...relax. I'm planning on bringing this to MA Human Powered Vehicle festival in September.

0012.jpg

033_04A.jpg

First version
scan0003.jpg

Second version
012-3.jpg

How it sits now....See what happens when I leave something sitting around to long!
002-49.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Recumbent Re-Do

Both versions look very cool, but I understand the engineering challenge you have. I am looking forward to your solution.

Frame is stripped bare. Might even repaint it. Have matching cogs and bars picked out. New stem will be located right around where the shifter is now. So here we go!

003-25.jpg

Cant wait to see what you come up with 8) Im keeping my eye on this one :wink:

Kota, nice build. it will work alot better the new way. keep us posted.

Outlaw 8)

I saw instead of those gears, used a couple freewheels, that should make turning FUN!

yoothgeye said:
I saw instead of those gears, used a couple freewheels, that should make turning FUN!
Then I could make a NASCAR tribute bike...Only turns left!

I personally like the "2nd version" :wink: I remember seeing it in Hartford that night...I thought it was so COOL with the seat and long chain :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Can't wait to see what you do with it next :wink:

Thanks Nick. It will look completely different. Bars will be right in front of me With a chain set up going to the front stem. So it will have two LONG chains on it. NEW paint scheme. A 20" front tire will give it a very slight forward rake. Dual set of brakes in rear....Should be a recumbent that looks like a dragster.

I've been doing some testing with the cogs. The ones pictured above are to small. it will put to much torque on the chain. Going to move up to two 30T cogs, should steer a lot easier then the 19T.

yoothgeye said:
Two words for your steering: hydraulic ram
I'm to cheap! This thing will have about 12ft of chain on it....I think I'll call it "Chain of Fools".

Re: "Chain of Fools" (Recumbent Re-Do)

Chain of Fools it is!
A machinist neighbor who "picks" for machine parts, occasionally goes to the local recycler. If he finds a bike he'll usually pick it for me (got a lot of nice bikes from him). Sunday he showed up with a NEW girls Huffy MTB, that someone had ran over in the driveway. The only thing damaged was the crank. This was exactly what I was looking for. It had the steering tube I was looking for plus all the bearings....Got an old rusty (dead) scooter last year for free, he should have paid ME to take it, so I cut the head tube and down tube off that. Put the two together, and now have a complete steering set up. Here's a rough mock up of what the bike will look like....I know, I know, it ain't pretty, neither am I, but It should be an EXTREMELY comfortable ride when finished.....Next : Mount gears at the right angle, make chain, weld everything in place.

001-57.jpg

002-50.jpg

It looks good, and chain is cool, but why not an arm and tie rod? Seems a lot less complex with no limit to steering.

That is looking cool. I think you need a steering wheel with a suicide knob. :p

yoothgeye said:
It looks good, and chain is cool, but why not an arm and tie rod? Seems a lot less complex with no limit to steering.

If the two gears line up, just right, there will be no limit to the sterring. I'm guessing the front will feel tighter, no play..Besides I got nothing else to do now, and I'd have to change the name to "Tie Rod of Fools", just don't like the way it sounds. :roll:

kingfish254 said:
That is looking cool. I think you need a steering wheel with a suicide knob. :p
:lol: :lol: I don't know if I want to ride a bike, this long, with a steering wheel and a suicide knob. Bikes with wheel bases like this, you gotta get them moving..QUICKLY...Like an airplane. Plane has a stall speed, so don't long bikes.

yoder327 said:
I think it looks great!

Thanks!

If you realy want to make it wacky to ride, install the chain like a figure 8.
Turn right to go left and left to go right.

Chain of Fools.....SWEET :shock: I'm liking the different wheel sizes, reminds me of my build-off bike a bit :lol: Can't wait to see it done! :D

Ok, I get it now, no tie rod because with the chain you can do bar spins.

Latest posts

Back