Cheap and easy shifter mount and stickshift conversion

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to use this mod on a build but i havent found a build to put gears on yet so i might have to make one in the near future or even use this as a switch for lights lights or something else random. Great idea guys

A quick update- I had a problem with the shifter on one of my bikes slipping off. Gluing it in place would work but I came up with an idea that keeps the shift knob removable. I found one of these long bmx style bar end plugs in my tool box

the rest is easy. Just remove the shifter knob and drill a hole in the end of the shifter cap big enough for the bar end plug to slip in freely. Reinstall and add the plug...

and viola! The knob stays put!

What is the best way to cut the cable and reattach cable end on the shifter side? Maybe a stupid question but on my nexus shifter I could not use a "crimp on" cable end. It would not fit the shifter guts made for the barrel style cable end.

slowriderz said:
What is the best way to cut the cable and reattach cable end on the shifter side? Maybe a stupid question but on my nexus shifter I could not use a "crimp on" cable end. It would not fit the shifter guts made for the barrel style cable end.
Any bike shop should have cable housing ends that just slip over the cut cable. I know we have a jarful at work. Be sure you bring the original cable since there are 2 sizes.

slowriderz said:

I have always soldered my cables, then cut with regular wire cutters. This prevents fraying of the cable end and results in a nice clean look that doesn't require a crimp on cable end. You'll need a heat source and flux cored solder, you will find it in either electronic or plumbing supplies. I have always used a soldering iron but I imagine a propane torch or one of those mini butane torches will work as well so long as you take care not to overheat the cable.

Looks like "hammered silver" to me... I know rustoleum makes a few colors in that finish...

581294_623531754349362_1846830333_n.jpg

Made one more for a friend couple weeks ago.

JGood, I do remove plastic pieces that are holding the rubber grip and prevent it from sliding with a saw, just leaving three or two of them for better shifting when you twist the shifter.

Any chance you have a picture so I can get a better idea of what you mean? I really like the shifter idea but am having problems getting the knob to stay and and trying to avoid gluing it.

This is great, I'm definitely going to use this in the future on my bike, but what do I need to do differently to make it a suicide brake arm instead of a shifter

Latest posts

Back