CHICKS NEED LOVE TOO - Finished!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yes, I am building a girls bike, and this is the first one for me. I had a couple frames for parts and asked my wife if she wanted a bike. I figured if I was going to do one this would be a good one to do. Not sure how smart it is to use it as my build off bike, but hey, why do what everyone else is doing. :lol:

6994476600_7bcd33c6b6.jpg

This is the bike - skiptooth "Our Own Hardware" Schwinn.

6994476630_d2776494a7.jpg

This one is for parts: the awsome fork, fenders and rack.

Re: CHICKS NEED LOVE TOO

Cool! My wife's bike is one of the best riding bikes I (we) have. I ride it quite often!(no dress though, just my pink shirt & shorts! :lol: :lol: ) I am building a 20" boys bike, so I guess we & probably a few others are the underdogs. I love a challenge! Besides, if you are building her a bike & it makes her (& you happy) that makes it all worthwhile. I'm not in to win, just in it for the fun. You have a great start there & some really cool parts as well! I'll be watching this build! 8)

tin machine said:
i think its cool , and when you take it for its first ride ...well wear a nice dress ...lol hey why not :!: :!:
HA!! NOW I COUNT 3 GIRL BIKES!! LET'S GET IT ON! GTB PEACE

You know, I fixed 2 bikes for people today, a men's cruiser and a women's cruiser, the men's cruiser is new for a woman and the women's cruiser belongs to a man. I test rode both of them and once I was riding, the position of that top bar didn't mean a thing.

Build on and build strong.

Here is a pedal car I have restored. My wife wants the bike to use this color scheme. I am planning on white tires, seat, grips and pedals. Green bike with red/white trim. Red rims. Not sure about the spokes, the fenders, chain gaurd and the rack will probably be green with red and white trim, but I am not set on that yet. This is a very groovy light green, more of an aqua, but it leans green instead of blue.

7143940419_e910e1902c.jpg

Hard at work at hardly working. The bike(s) are disassembled. Most parts are stripped - still have a few to go, and the wheels are taken apart.

6999691150_9ffe061b1f.jpg

6999690500_b24dbd7c33.jpg

6999690808_b471d0cf68.jpg

I have the rear hub finished - always a pain. I had it done, but it didn't feel right, looked around and found a nice clean freshly lubed set of bearings that I missed. The front hub has a bent screw thingamabob that isn't the same size as my others, so I am going to try and bend it back to shape. I won't try very hard though, it's easy enough to swap out the whole thing. The pain of working on old-old stuff besides the extra 2 decades of rust is the strange sizing of some things.

6999691596_299de4a2b5.jpg

I am taking a lunch break now, so here is the last photo before getting back out there. Here are several hood ornaments, lights, what-not's that I like to use for bike bling. I think I am going to use the swan on the front fender. The cool looking Saturn planet looking hood ornament (a 1935 Old's) is going on the frame of a spaceliner that will be next in the shop.

7145776289_4e071cb108.jpg

You know I'm contemplating joining this build off with a girls bike frame and I dont really see any difference between the two genres. Its a build off, not a battle of the sexes :? plus its a rat rod. The way I see it you can rat just about anything out. So good luck and have some fun :p

I mock-ed up the bike so I can see if the front fork/wheel and rear fender/rack fit. No problems with the front, but I will need to build a bracket for the back. I am not sure I am going to use the decortive metal piece below the seat. It has a bird with some flowers, its was part of an old ashtray stand.

I dig the look of a stripped bike. I've always wanted to get a bike finshed like this, paint some parts with clear coat - maybe some pinstripes, and then let the rust take the rest back over.

7002139488_c42bd42342.jpg

The swan hood ornament looks better than I thought it would.

7002139038_2603cd9db5.jpg

Beautiful bike :!: Looks like your wife will have a sweet ride.This is probably the most brilliant build going.You get all the garage time you want without making her mad,all the hard work shows her how much you care,when she rides it she will be the coolest kid on the block,which makes her feel good.And you get all the garage time you want.Everybody wins :!: Simply brilliant :!:

Peatbog said:
hardcore73 said:
You know I'm contemplating joining this build off with a girls bike frame and I dont really see any difference between the two genres. Its a build off, not a battle of the sexes :? plus its a rat rod. The way I see it you can rat just about anything out. So good luck and have some fun :p

Hey, quit contemplating and git 'er done! You think about things too much and you see all the problems and so don't start. It's better not to think too much...uh, well that ain't quite what I mean, but...oh, forget it, just start building.

Yeah I 'm still working on gathering up some parts before i make it official. Between my own business and family its sometimes hard to find the time, plus I just finished these two after 6 long months
today006.jpg

today001.jpg

I have made my brackets for the rear fender and rack.

7185435002_8b8d55f84e.jpg

7185435530_5988daa5b4.jpg

I have also primed the bike and painted the rims. I still have some body work to do on the fenders.

I had another bike sell so I moved one I had on hand down to the store (an antique store that I usually have a pedal car, scooter, and bike in our booth). So I needed to get started on another bike to put down there - I restore the pedal cars, but always rat rod the bikes.

I also just finished this up - A Keystone 6400 ride on train. :D

7185465984_7b2ac42088.jpg

Doing body work and priming the bike. I did finish the front wheel, about to start the rear.

7229393584_aa20ef51db.jpg

Working on several projects, so I am trying to not get to far behind. Still waiting on a few parts to show up.

She is looking good all gussied up like that!

Those are going to be a nice pair of shoes! I also dig the screaming chief art in the background.Is that your work?

Yes, I am a designer by trade. It's based of the WWI Lafayette Escadrille squadron logo - I just made the indian head into a skull. It was to be the nose art on the aircraft that maybe one day I will build. Or maybe the logo for the bike club I'll start - so we can raise heck at low speed (only rat rods and motorized bicycles :p ).

I spent most of the afternoon threading the rear wheel and repacking the hub - only to realize that the f'ing thing is broke and won't work. :x I need to dig through my other hubs to see if any have similar parts. This is a bit tricker than I have delt with in the past since this one is a skip tooth. I usually don't waste time on hubs (especially 70 year old hubs) since a wheel isn't that expensive and saves a lot of time and headache. This one is a New Departure, which I don't have any others like it. :(

I thought there was something familiar about the head dress.Having spent time in the Air Force,I was always interested in nose art and unit patches.Some amazing stuff.Walt Disney even had a designer assigned to designing patches and logos for military units that asked.Do you know which part(s) you need for your hub?If it's a Model D,I may be able to help you out.Some parts are interchangeable with Hawthorne,Mattatuck and Nankai hubs.Oh...any chance you could post a pic of the logo? I like the different designs of the same thing.Very cool :!:

Latest posts

Back