CHICKS NEED LOVE TOO - Finished!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: CHICKS NEED LOVE TOO

Victory! :mrgreen: I dug through my pile of wheels to be sold (I sell the really bad ones at flee markets to the crafty girl crowd - $15 a piece - and they put pictures in the spokes and hang them on their walls) and I discovered I had a New Departure, in rough shape, but it did have the part I needed. I think I took for granted how these work, you get the basic principle, but when they don't work it's time to study it in detail until the fault is discovered. Now it runs smooth - both wheels finished. Now about ready to put on final paint.

Thanks for the offer Circa Cycles, I need to track down that artwork - I think it's at work. I hung up the different designs to see which one I liked best. It would make for an awsome headbadge. Now I just need to find someone that can make them for a resonable price. Another version of the log has "American Squadron" above the head, since that is what the Lafayette Escadrille was originally called until Germany made a stink about it (sounded like America had taken a side when we were still neutral).

Here are the current versions of that logo. (By the way, this is not for public use - this one is all mine :p )

7253012796_8d1105be64.jpg

Cool,thank you for posting your art.That would be cool on a tank or chainguard as well.

Finished painting the fork and bike, still need to get the fenders and rack completed. I alo have the seat and grips in, so all parts are here ready to finish up.

7290140266_e771a84da2.jpg

To hold the bike while I paint I use a shop light stand that had broken (I couldn't throw it away), works great.

7290130360_4a61814907.jpg

Retro Rat Rog said:
Here are the current versions of that logo. (By the way, this is not for public use - this one is all mine :p )

7253012796_8d1105be64.jpg

Nice, you could also integrate the old round Schwinn chain guard logo into the artwork here. :wink:

I started assembly of the bike last night. Fork on, handlebars, crank, but the pedals didn't go so well. On the inside of the crank arm, some of the threads were filled (not sure how) and the tap I have has the wrong angle for the threads, so now I need to snag one from another bike tonight. I am debating on used vs. new parts for the handelbar and crank. I like using old parts to add authentisity to the build, but it is repainted and will have new tires, seat, grips. It's a fine line. The handlebars are a nice shape, but did have a hole underneath that I filled with metal bondo.

A kid brought a brand new Walmart bike to my house and the pedal was falling off. It had messed up the threads. So I found an old 1/2" pedal that I knew was made of tough steel, I sprayed in a light lube and preceded to cranking the pedal in there firmly and I may have threaded it in from the back side as well. Once removed the threads were in much better shape and accepted the pedal just fine. Sure, I risked boogering up the crank, but I got lots of those.

Had some trouble with the front fork - the post at the top is bent. I can't believe how every step of this bike has run into a problem. Started painting the rack and fenders. Ordered a pinstripe machine, going to try to do this on my own :) . The kick stand I had was a joke, so a new one is on the way.

Picked up a nice tank bike - complete. It will be getting started shortly. Also bought a canned ham 1960 Fan trailer over the weekend. The ultimate bike hauler 8) .

Here is the bike painted, but still has a few parts to put on.

7178109319_d06813c451.jpg

Here is the rack. This will present many oppritunities for "nice rack" jokes to my wife :p .

7178109619_a702fc7c02.jpg

One of the bikes I picked up a few weeks ago presented a surprise as my mother in-law nearly broke into tears as it was the exact same as her bike. Luckily the bike is in very good condition. It had a seat cover so the seat is absolutly perfect. I have it disasembled ready to clean and regrease. Then I will play for some brownie points and giver her a bike too. :wink: They left the batteries in the tank for the lights, so that will be the biggest issue to overcome, but I already have my parts from Radio Shack.

Great color scheme and I am glad that your MIL is gonna get some love too!! It fits right into your build name.

Nice rack by the way!! :wink:

this is gonna be a very sweet step-thru!! and the rack looks amazing! no joke 8)

I have the fenders painted now, but had a "stripe" peal and I messed up fixing it, so now I need to really rework it. Once that is fixed, I will attempt my first pin stripe. :shock:

My mother in law was very pleased with her bike. It rides very well - why is it that girls bikes ride so nice?

Finished another distraction. It's an AMF Skyrider. I dig it, came out better than I thought. :D Now back to the wifes bike.

7433864286_452acfd43f.jpg

The Freaky Bunnies are getting hungry for an update!!!!!!

bunnyteeth.jpg

Geez, keep your bunnies on! :mrgreen:

Wife wanted baskets, I couldn't put regular old baskets on so I found these (Longaberger baskets, and they weren't cheep :shock: ). I just need to work out how to attach them.

7552716356_222aceff04.jpg

Also still need to pinstripe, this will be a first attempt at pinstriping and actually doing it (not vinyl or taped off paint).

7552718800_9fbe01f7bb.jpg

The shop is turning into a bit of a junk yard. Anyone else have this problem? :?

Here is another view showing the endless projects.

7552720934_a462dda682.jpg

Maybe we should have a competition of most "lived\worked in shop".

Finally got the pinstripes done - not bad, but not great. A vlient first time. :)

I'll post some photos once I get parts installed on the bike, then it's time to figure out how to mount the baskets. I have a few ideas:
1) use leather straps
2) use another set of metal baskets I have that are shot, strip away most of it to leave the frame and mount the new baskets to that.

I am worried about them rubbing on the paint, which make me lean on the second option. The baskets are actually made to be mail boxes, so they have some reinforcement on them so that they could be mounted to a wall, plus they have a plastic liner.

Latest posts

Back