El Chiggins!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If ya think you're a builder then ya gotta put a bike in the unlimited class. If you're like me you use a classic frame and cut off the jacked up bits and add new. This thing is twisted and raggedy, so chop the JC Higgins and end up with a Chiggins...
13da9fe4d9b403109b26d9659e7d6b5d.jpg

Sent from the edge of an alternate universe...

That's the spirit that I like. Nothing is sacred - cut it up
Oh there probably are a few sacred frames that I wouldn't cut... But a JC Higgins isn't one of them. At this point I don't even have a plan, so I'll be collecting parts for a while before I jump on this build...

Carl.

Glad to see I'm not the only one using a JC Higgins bike, even if they're in different categories. Rock on:showingbiceps:

Think I have the same frame behind the garage. Just hadn’t thought about cutting it up. No welding equipment here to transform it. Anxious to see what you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm with you, I cant even stay in an era. Parts are parts. :21:

Nice sweep to that frame..and horizontal drops. Lets see s'more.
More pics to come...
I've got a ladies Elgin frame with a seat tube that is broken at the BB. I may use the rear triangle with the front 2/3rds of this frame. It'd be a crazy stretch but I also have the peaked fenders and skirt guards, so it might be crazy cool... o_O

Carl.

DE23E3B5-DE86-4968-80A6-3B840AC66C56.jpeg

I like this Carl. Are you going to cut the straight seat tube out and keep the Elgin curve? Going to look cool!

Sent from Carl’s yellow landline wall phone with a dial and curly cord.

I like this Carl. Are you going to cut the straight seat tube out and keep the Elgin curve? Going to look cool!
I think I'm going to cap the curved one smooth. The straight bar actually leans further back helping my long legs... My Rockin' Rollfast build had two posts with one capped and it looks ok, but they were parallel to each other. So far I have the the green curve tacked in where the BB was. I'm going to mount some wheels at each end and play with the tilt so it's not scraping at the pedals with a full size crank. Check this out... I have the skirt guards and peeked fenders for this green frame too. Should be cool, especially if I can get the Higgins chain guard to line up. (the Elgin guard is ugly)

Carl.

Sent from my red wall phone with a touch-tone and curly cord.
096f1355bf60ce577b472b33e4495847.jpg

Last edited:
I think I'm going to cap the curved one smooth. The straight bar actually leans further back helping my long legs... My Rockin' Rollfast build had two posts with one capped and it looks ok, but they were parallel to each other. So far I have the the green curve tacked in where the BB was. I'm going to mount some wheels at each end and play with the tilt so it's not scraping at the pedals with a full size crank. Check this out... I have the skirt guards and peeked fenders for this green frame too. Should be cool, especially if I can get the Higgins chain guard to line up. (the Elgin guard is ugly)

Carl.

Sounds like a winner Carl.

And the phone is cooler then I thought.

Sent from my 90’s flip Motorola RAZR VR3

So it's still in two pieces but I've done some reimagining. The angle between the two halves will likely change, but I've come up with an unusual way to connect at the top. I'm thinking of using two solid posts and welding them together. I also may have a fun chain guard mod but I need to find an exerciser sprocket.
fc28223b05411593e6672daf076b14fa.jpg

Carl.

What??? No dial?

Still looking for another seat post, this one takes two. Got an idea but this build is driving itself so we'll see where it ends up. Chiggins.
41f155dcd18a380bb9a683003d620204.jpg

Carl.

Bars are a WIP...
But the kickstand is a cool chunk of ancient iron. Came with the Elgin part of this frame (along with some other goodies)
0480be665b2f93a00f872c573bb18a0f.jpg
0a2d472e1231f01956aca1f3f879af02.jpg
c4d4b5c5531aab52d36e83e7d404b10d.jpg
c187367c7afee0615236bc1e57b34c4f.jpg
db64eb5d94dec5c838b2f12c85aa5285.jpg

Latest posts

Back