"Chunkpunk" Doneski!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone else ever had that eureka moment when they realize they have solved their problem, and then wonder how they didn't think of this sooner.

So. After this initial mockup of my fenders, I now see exactly how these need to be constructed to provide both structural stability, as well as the exact aesthetic I am going for.

I also have come up with another idea I think you'll like that I am going to incorporate into them.

Stay tuned.

If you think this build was looking good before, just wait till I get these fenders done. I have a bigger goal than just this build off with this bike, I'm going for the coolest looking bicycle ever.

Hopefully someone out there can see my vision and I can get out of this horrible cubicle job I have now.

So, I think the hardest thing for me going forward is to actually wait for the next build off to start my next major build. It makes this one look tame in comparision.
We're almost at the half way mark and you're allowed one frame change! Just say'n.;)
Looking forward to your eureka idea!

Haha.. I've actually debated changing the frame. I have the tendency to not finish a project and start another when my train of thought switches gears. Hopefully I can put off my frame change and new ideas till rrbbox, cause I am so rearing to get started on it.

The fender issue was close to getting me to do that. However, I have figured out exactly what needs to be done on them to get them going.

I am going to be swapping materials on them I think also.
While plastic folders, craft foam, paint and some poly resin can make these exactly how I need, they don't exactly scream "bike materials" and I am unsure on the longterm durability they would have.

I really wish I had access to a machine shop. I would be able to easily convey my ideas to reality. Right now, I have to deal with a lack of funds, (to get the proper tools, materials, training, etc) so I have to figure out ways to do what I want given the circumstances.

However, if I had a welding machine, or tooling shop, I sure as heck wouldn't be farting around with a $200 Pacific Walmart bike, I'd be making batmobiles and stuff.

However, that's the challenge in itself here. Trying to make something extraordinary out of nothing.

Hopefully I can put off my frame change and new ideas till rrbbox, cause I am so rearing to get started on it.
That's what the 'builds' section is for, the other nine months of the year! Don't put it off, jump in this fall and keep on building!

I'll always keep on building!

Just other projects first and need to find the materials and figure out the techniques I need anyways.

I always was one to modify EVERYTHING.
I tore apart Gi-Joes, repainted them and put them back to together to make my own Xmen and comic book toys as a kid, got into Computer Case modding before it was a thing at the birth of the internet, Painted dam near everything I've owned, from cars, canoes, houses, studied and designed my own Zen Garden.

If you are not creating, you're consuming, and sadly there is far too much of the latter anymore.

Its just in my nature to strive for excellence and compete, moreso with myself, but the whole buildoff atmosphere I like. The competitive nature of it leads to much better self improvement.

BTW thanks for all the positive comments everyone!
Pretty much all the top builders and builds of mine this year have commented on my progress here, and it gives me great satisfaction hearing that my ideas aren't 100% crazy.

If you are not creating, you're consuming, and sadly there is far too much of the latter anymore.
I agree with that remark.

I like this site. There are a lot of people here that either have an artistic side or don't but they try, and to me that's all it takes. I love seeing what people come up with. We have over 100 bikes being built in BONINE this year and every single one of them are different. Who'd a thunk there could be that many different ideas for a simple design of a bicycle? We're all here, Rat Rod Bikes, for the same reason, building bikes and connecting with other people that have the same interest as us.

BTW, your bike is coming along great.

Ok folks. Got a few things knocked out since last time. Been abit busy, I did manage to get some fender work done, but i dont want to show it off just yet. Needless to say, if you thought they looked good before, they now look about 10x better...

Anyways, managed to grab this on CL the other day. Coolest looking trike i ever seen. My little mans gonna love this!

So, in regards to the build at hand. I think i have to waver on my no "steel" wish. Between the brake rotors, which you cant paint, I also have the brake levers which i cannot disassemble to paint up properly. I dont think itll matter much. The new pedals I snagged also have some steel screws/cones.

Speaking of the pedals, this was one thing I didnt know which way I wanted to go. My existing pedal stock falls mostly into cheapy mtb and bmx style platforms. Nothing that really flowed with the overall concept.

As luck would have it, I found the PERFECT pedals for this build sitting on CL. Tioga spiders!! Heck yes, not only are they shaped like spiderwebs for that mean, mad max look, the removeable screws arent screws at all, but more spikes! Sweet! Got them broke down and some paint on them. Will put them together and have abit more styling I gotta add still =)

Can you dig it??

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Heres some in-progress pictures of my fenders.
Still Need to disassemble them, paint, reassemble, and make up some mounting brackets. Went from leather pauldron tech, to medieval plate mail armor tech, or at least, I would assume that those are made similarly.

If theres ever been a set of fenders like this on anything else, I'd like to see them.

No rolling machines, no hammers, the only tool used was my head a pair of scissors and a leather punch. My older scrap buddy at work who's very interested in my project had a roll of aviation aluminum sitting around for the past 15 years he never had any use for. I found a use for it for him.

They aren't done just yet either. I have a surprise coming =)

Me too!

The folders, craft foam, resin thing was more of a cost savings, using items I had on hand. When I explained it to people, they were like, .... cosplay?
When I ran into the structural support issue with the previous iteration, I had an epiphany trying to figure out how exactly to get them to stay secured as well as rigid.

I tried to bend pvc tubing and make a faux frame, spent far too many hours playing around with that. Then I got some aluminum tubing that I could bend into shape, ran into issues with attaching it to the "cover" appropriately.

So did I some serious thinking into how to actually construct them to work both aesthetically and structurally. This would require a full redo. At that point, I really questioned why I was using folders, when I could just do these, for real, out of metal, its only marginally more work, but metal really gives the right look and feel of something "steampunk" If I was better off financially, I would have made these out of brass sheeting, but the aluminum had zero cost, whereas that amount of brass would run me hundreds.

Last edited:
These fenders are turning out very cool. I do like the fact that if something just doesn't look right to you, you are willing to rethink it and rebuild it. That's what is making this one of the best builds for BONINE. You are also the perfect example that you don't need tons of high dollar tools to build a cool bike. Just an imagination and the willpower to do it.

CHUNK PUNK FULL OF FUNK!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Still need to knock out the fender braces then paint and reassemble.

Heres the finished pedals for now.

I ain't messing around, this bike WILL get you through hordes of zombies or methheads in any apocalyptic scenario! I hope you know how to ride a bike!

Do not ride this bike barefoot!! Very cool pedals.

Gentlemen. We have a rider. Going to be a serious amount of work put in at the last minute. As I am the prototypical procrastinator.

Still need to finish out the fenders and make a tank. Home stretch, the squeeze play is in effect. At least I'll have something to enter with.

There's a saying, good things come to those who wait.
While I normally disagree, as I am a major procrastinator, and usually don't get anything good.

However, I did happen to score the final part I needed last night.
Been a long time thinking about what exactly to do about my "tank" I just couldn't figure out something to use, and did not want to just construct a simple "triangle tank"
The local goodwill happened to have something that caught my eye.
Now its just a matter of getting this done before the deadline.

So, we've got some Star Wars action in there. What else did I have in my childhood that I can incorporate?

How about some Transformers? Even though its the horrible, awful looking Michael Bay monstrocity, as opposed to the Classic 80s movie, which is infinite times better.

And the assembled Baby Eater Deluxe 2000, waiting on fenders to be fully assembled and attached.

Hopefully I can get this done in time!

Latest posts

Back