Class 2 - Silver Angel

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems the fork ran away with the spoon and after a bit of a tussle with the dish, is back with me and got coated in some silver...

34_ForkSilver.jpg

The frame got silver too...

35_FrameSilver.jpg

They both looked good and I was somewhat reluctant to do the next step, which was Rust-oleum silver glitter. I’ve never used it before and was hopeful that it would look ok...

36_FrameGlitter.jpg

37_FrameGlitter.jpg

38_FrameGlitter.jpg

39_ForkGlitter.jpg

I think it does look ok but now it’ll need some clear gloss over it to make it all shiny shiny (feel free to hum the Haysi Fantayzee song to yourself at this point). :whistle:

I’m moving along quite nicely :dance2:

Glen.

I used the green on my bike but didn't use a base coat and could see the gray primer :headbang:.
What would you have used Brian, a green base coat? So I guess the glitter coat is a bit transparent then, eh?

Actually gives me an idea for a future idea. Put down a base coat, that is in the same color scheme but slightly darker or lighter than the glitter coat. Should have a sort of a fade / candy look to it.

I used the green on my bike but didn't use a base coat and could see the gray primer :headbang:.

I take it you're referring to the glitter paint? If so, the shop I got mine only had silver and gold, I didn't realise there were other colours.

I wasn't sure if it was silver paint with glitter in it or a clear with glitter in it, which is why I decided to do silver first in case it was just clear... glad I did now :whew:

Yours looks ok in the first photo but I see that you're going to start over. Are you going to use the glitter paint again? I should be getting the clear on mine today :nod:

Glen.

What would you have used Brian, a green base coat? So I guess the glitter coat is a bit transparent then, eh?

Actually gives me an idea for a future idea. Put down a base coat, that is in the same color scheme but slightly darker or lighter than the glitter coat. Should have a sort of a fade / candy look to it.

Looks like we were replying to Brian at the same time.

Your idea sounds interesting. Could get some good effects with this glitter paint I reckon. :nerd:

Glen.

Had same thing with mine thinking maybe a couple coats of clear then a lite wet sand then couple more coats of clear

Wet sanding this will make me super duper nervous. :eek:

What will happen if I get down to the glitter? Will it be ruined? o_O

Also, I'm thinking about putting a vinyl pinstripe on the sides of the 'top down tube' as well as a vinyl headbadge. Should I do that last or spray clear over them too? :39:

Advice from anyone would be appreciated.:nod:

Glen.

Last edited:
Some clear first should help the stripe adhere. You can then clear it again. Lookin' good brother.

Carl.

Some clear first should help the stripe adhere. You can then clear it again. Lookin' good brother.
Carl.

Thanks for that, Carl. I'll get back onto the paintwork once the weather fines up a bit.

Meanwhile... most of the chrome parts (fenders, rims, chain guard) were covered in silver paint, so I started cleaning them up...

44_ChromeParts.jpg

The fork crown bit was coated in a different colour, but cleaned up well too...

45_ForkTop.jpg

46_ForkTop.jpg

I’ll go over them all again to get the last remnants of paint off.

The fender braces are not a matching pair...

47_FenderBraces.jpg

The top one in the photo is for the front and is very rusty. The axle attachment point on one side has broken and been welded in the past and the other side is broken, which can be seen in the photo.

I looked online for new braces and bicycledesigner.com has them for US$1 each. With shipping and with currency conversion (according to online currency converter) it works out to be NZ$31.47 :20: too much :cry:.

So I’ll see if I can get some wire to match the rear brace and make one. :nod:

Glen.

I know... pretty hard to contain excitement :nod:

But before I assemble the hubs, I have to finish cleaning them and had an idea.

48_RearHub.jpg

49_FrontHub.jpg

As you can see by the photos, the hubs are both a bit rusty in the center sections... the front especially. So I thought about covering the centers with vinyl so they would look like this...

50_HubsPurple.jpg

That’s just taped on and not permanent and I’m not sure I like it. :39:

Any thoughts? o_O

Glen.

Keep buffing and cleaning them till the bare metal shines. Then wax them. They will get grease and or oil on them, not a good mix with rattle can paint. I would fab up some old school hub shiners though...

Carl.

Latest posts

Back