Coaster brake questions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always liked the Bendix coaster brake hubs. No real problems with a good one...
operation-bendix-chin-turret.jpg

I have 32 & 36 hole kt hubs in black and chrome... we have been building wheels for over 7 years with kt hubs.... we are the largest 700c coaster brake dealer and can build you custom 26" wheels with even color spokes...

The Coaster Brake Primer I was looking for, thanks!

I just came up on a CB-D110 that is hardly used on a '70's Murray Monterey and now and decided to swap it out with a KT and keep it for future use.

A side note on my experiences with KT the past 20 years, I find them complete junk in that they have failed in many ways on me. The worst was a brand-new one with a loose flange. I kept trying to true up the wheel and it wouldn't stay anywhere close. After de-tensioning the wheel, I wiggled both flanges and the drive side had about 1/16" play.

A note about the Bendix Red Band RBs. I noticed the warning in Atomic's Coaster Brake Primer about the pressed flanges stripping and that doesn't surprise me. I do have an older Red Band with a grease port, screw-on cog and the flanges that are machined into the shell. Definitely a keeper as well, especially since the internals are almost brand-new.

Just picked up a Sachs Torpedo 3sp from the early seventies. Looks like a soup can!
IMG_20200628_132239179.jpg
IMG_20200628_125125631_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200628_125616501.jpg

The whole bike is in really good condition, but the shifting is pretty loose and vague, and braking leaves much to be desired. I know nothing about IG hubs. Anybody have experience with these ones?

Just picked up a Sachs Torpedo 3sp from the early seventies. Looks like a soup can!
View attachment 127159View attachment 127161View attachment 127162
The whole bike is in really good condition, but the shifting is pretty loose and vague, and braking leaves much to be desired. I know nothing about IG hubs. Anybody have experience with these ones?
They are pretty easy to fix and would run for another two hundred years after proper maintenance! Hope you can source parts for it :) If no, let me know, i live just near Germany and i have plenty of those hubs available, i can send you one for the cost of delivery.
The engineering of those ones is really good, state of art almost.

I'm hoping everything is intact. It's in fairly new condition for a bike that's pushing fifty years old! It's a tandem, no wear whatsoever on the teeth of the cranks and sprocket. I'm assuming that someone bought it, tried it a few times, (it's not easy to ride, definitely a relationship tester!) and then packed it away. I'm hoping to find some schematics and instructions for basic maintenance, never opened up a rear hub before! Sheldon Brown, here I come!

Latest posts

Back