Oooh I see....well then...cool tires!Nope, those are the new tires. Although I did use one like them in my mock-ups that was worn out and not usable.
I liked the tread pattern on it better than any others that I looked into, so I bought two new ones.
Haha, I played some jazz last night!Looking pretty spiffy there jazzman, er, Renman...it looks so light and feathery you may have to tie a snare on there just to hold it down!
Yeah, me too! Normally I would have had a test ride by now, but time has not been on my side. I had to go ahead with paint and final assembly and hope for the best. I'm still waiting for an aluminum headset that hopefully will be delivered tomorrow. It was supposed to have been here last week.:banghead:Oooh I see....well then...cool tires!
Looking forward to the full road test report on this baby.
Somebody on here had a real light Spaceliner like 25 lbs? The internal gear hub will be the weight killer.Haha, I played some jazz last night!
I'm very anxious to get it all together and weight it. The goal is to keep it under 30lb. We'll see.
Usually just the cups and cones. I've got a couple 1 1/8" black ones but I'm guessing you're using 1" threaded.30lbs is light for a vintage frame!
I have to ask... Aluminium headset? Are we talking cups, cones and bearings or am I confused?
FYI you may be able to use LED bar end lights for your application. You just push them to light 'em up.I've been waiting until after I painted the frame to take a picture of the tail light. It's a small LED flashlight that happened to perfectly fit the tubing in the center of the rack. I took the bulb out and painted it with Duplicolor red anodizing paint. The light turns on and off by pressing it in.
The red light was difficult to get a photo of, but it looks more red in person.
Just wrap it with some alum hvac tape until it's a snug fit?
I had to shim the headset on my Fastback. Can't remember what I used but had planned on going back and doing something better eventually.
As always, thanks for the suggestions. Waiting for the headset had already put me almost a week behind so I'm going ahead with the original (painted black) for now. I'm still open for any suggestions for after the build off though.How 'bout inserting a reducing sleeve into the headtube and then honing until you achieve a snug fit? That's how I'd do it--essentially a full-length shim. Careful with the facings, though. They must remain parallel.
Those bars are something different!
Thanks! As soon as I saw them I didn't hesitate about buying them. They fit perfectly with the 'modern components on a vintage frame' theme. I'm hoping that when people see the bike they will not be able to guess that it's not a brand new bike.Great bars!
Thanks Gig, I'll keep those in mind for future builds. I've got this one squared away with the flashlight which is smaller than a handlebar end. It functions the same way by pushing it to turn it on and off also.FYI you may be able to use LED bar end lights for your application. You just push them to light 'em up.
- by Gigmata
Hahaha! That suspense soundtrack! Looks like you have the brakes set up perfectly. You've heard of "bend, not break". This is "bend, and brake"...Now that I'm able to assemble the fork and bars, I've finally started measuring and cutting new brake and shift cables.
The first on the list is the front brake. This type of brake caliper is designed to be used with a brake noodle which has a shoulder on the male end to hold it in position. A noodle would have been very clumsy with the way the cable is routed but a normal cable end would not work without a shoulder to serve as a stop.
The solution was to remove the ferule from a flexible noodle and attach it to the cable end. It was fairly simple to do. I put the noodle in my vise and carefully twisted the ferule off with vice grips. Then I trimmed the plastic outer sleeve of the cable down to the metal liner and twisted the ferule onto the cable end. It's a nice tight fit and worked perfectly!
Most of the black paint got chipped up from the vice grips, so I just sanded the rest of it off and left it raw aluminum.
Up until now I have not been able to actually test the brakes with the cable. My concern has been the effects of the additional drag on the cable with the tight bends. I'm happy to report that it works flawlessly!
That's funny, the suspense music just happened to be playing when I shot the video.Hahaha! That suspense soundtrack! Looks like you have the brakes set up perfectly. You've heard of "bend, not break". This is "bend, and brake"...
Thanks, I've planned the multiple sheens of black from day one. I used a play from Jake Sensi's playbook way back on the first day and gave a hint that my colors would be black, black, and black.Very tidy work as usual. Loving all the different textures of the black. Can't wait to see the rest of it!