Columbia Convertible Commuter *FINISHED*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like your GOOP idea, I hope it works because some of us might need to try the same thing. BTW, I might have missed it but where did you get the GOOP from? I haven't seen it around here.
Well, it did work right up until the pressure broke it in half.:rolleyes:
fender%20buck%203_zpse1fuj2fg.jpg

Had it been reinforced with something it would have worked great. I'll know if I ever have the need again. It was an interesting experiment, but probably not worth all of the trouble for one fender.:)

Here's how I finished creating the shape:
I ground out the dimples and filed them smooth. Then covered it in foil and added GOOP to the voids and bolted the two halves together and let it cure. After it set up, I separated them and cleaned up the excess.
fender%20buck%202_zpsxji45nle.jpg

I didn't get a picture of everything in the vice before it broke, but I basically just sandwiched them together on the fender and cranked the vice shut. It was working great until the pressure was too much for it, so it is feasible.

BTW, I got the goop from the fiberglass shop that makes my tanks, but I checked and Amazon has it.

Here's how it looked when I stopped:
0b6e4f15-e3aa-4b89-b0db-220e170d4016_zpsptozijnf.jpg

As you can see, the pressure was a little tighter toward one end before it had a chance to completely finish and even out but it's pretty close. I can finish it up by hand tomorrow. The photo makes it appear that the far edge is not stepped in, but it is.

The fender is mounted! As I expected the clearances are paper thin but it works great. The only issue that I had was the mounting screw for the fender rubbed the tire. I will be able to correct that tomorrow with a countersunk head machine screw.
I love the way the fender is so tight to the brake and the tire. This is just what I was hoping for when I ordered the brake caliper.:)
FENDERS%20amp%20BRAKES_zpstpvjjoyd.jpg

Could this tank fit an old female Schwinn frame with a little work? And if so, how much do they run and where can you purchase this tank?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I'm sure that the tanks could be made to fit any girls frame with a little ingenuity, but it lines up best with either a Spaceliner, Flightliner or a Columbia like this one. I have also discovered that it will work on certain Rollfast frames. Without seeing your frame, it's hard to say how well it might fit.

You can get info on ordering HERE. Thanks for asking!

Goop is a company that makes adhesives, everything from shoe glue to epoxy. Its all good stuff.
Will have to look it up.Greece is years behind in products.

"Breaking the mold" as usual with your build. :p

I like the way experienced builders, pace out there builds.;)

I'm learning that too. I need to pace mine out more. Learning lots of cool things from this build..:thumbsup:

That goop die worked well. Looks like it got you most of the way anyways. I'd like to try to make a duck tail on a fender with some method like that. You did something similar on the Buzzard too but I can't remember what the die/buck was made of.

Like the photo collage deals....I'll probably be stealing that idea as well. :p

Nice and flush:thumbsup:
Fender looks cool.
Thanks!
"Breaking the mold" as usual with your build. :p
Punny. :21:
I'm learning that too. I need to pace mine out more. Learning lots of cool things from this build..:thumbsup:

That goop die worked well. Looks like it got you most of the way anyways. I'd like to try to make a duck tail on a fender with some method like that. You did something similar on the Buzzard too but I can't remember what the die/buck was made of.

Like the photo collage deals....I'll probably be stealing that idea as well. :p
I think now that all I needed was the underside of the buck to achieve the shape.

I started doing the collages just to save space in my photobucket and not have to load so many separate pictures.:rolleyes: Although, after I did a few of them, I kinda like how they look (just for something different).

In an effort to make the mounting screw flush with the fender and prevent it from rubbing the tire, I hammered the plug in the bottom of the fork into a bowl shape. This produced a sort of recessed hole for a countersunk screw to fit into. I then drilled and tapped the hole for a 1/4 - 28 machine screw. Next, I used the screw and dimpled the fender so that the head of the screw was flush.

This all worked great and solved the problem of the tire rubbing the mounting screw. However, when I mounted the fender it caused the front of it to raise up a little. Of course there was no room for the fender to raise up without hitting the brake. I was back full circle to my first issue of the fender hitting the brake. :mad:

After some careful measuring, I determined that I would still be able to make it work, but only after more alterations to the fender. So, I got the buck back out and ground out the new profile. This time I just hammered the fender over the buck and it worked fine.

It turned out to be far more work than I anticipated to just countersink the screw, but in the end everything fits as it should.

Here's the modified buck:
buck_zpsaf7po9lo.jpg

And here's the result:
fender%20dimple_zpsauran9si.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back