Columbia Convertible Commuter *FINISHED*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made these out of spokes.

9738_zpsmnkksamp.jpg

Can anyone guess what they are? :D

Tension springs to fit brakes around fenders

Looks like a brake springs but you got new brakes so that's probably not it ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like some eyelets for brake cable guides to clip on your fender.
You get sprinkles!:thumbsup:

These actually snap into place and work great but I do have some other options in my head. At this point in the build-off though, I'll probably not spend much time on other ideas. I had some concern with having tight bends, but the cable slides through fairly easily.
100_9739_zpsaasi00r6.jpg

I started doing the collages just to save space in my photobucket and not have to load so many separate pictures.:rolleyes: Although, after I did a few of them, I kinda like how they look (just for something different).

I like it because sometimes it takes a few different angles to convey one idea. Perfect for highlighting those little details.

You get sprinkles!:thumbsup:

These actually snap into place and work great but I do have some other options in my head. At this point in the build-off though, I'll probably not spend much time on other ideas. I had some concern with having tight bends, but the cable slides through fairly easily.

Ha! Can't believe I couldn't figure that one out. That's pretty cool.

One other way that might work is to pull the cable tight so it makes one smooth arc from the brake to the bottom of the fork. You'd have a gentler turn and might not need to attach it to the fender? :39:

One other way that might work is to pull the cable tight so it makes one smooth arc from the brake to the bottom of the fork. You'd have a gentler turn and might not need to attach it to the fender? :39:
Talk about going around your elbow to get to you nose! :banghead: What was I thinking?:21:
I had to take a break from sanding parts and put everything back together just to see how well that would work.

I think I can put this idea to bed! Thanks Chad.:happy:

Here's a collage just for you...
Short%20Route_zpso28buxbv.jpg

The fork is a sneak peak for the final color.;)

Been painting parts, but still have more to go.

I masked the inset on the bottom of the tank for a slightly different shade of black and flatter sheen.
tank%20inset_zpsunxcppig.jpg

It will be very subtle once it's unmasked.

Here it is unmasked and mounted on the frame.

tank%20inset%202_zpsdcjylgz0.jpg

It's not quite as flat as I had anticipated. At certain angles it's not even noticeable. I had to get the right light just to get a photo. I'm going to have to give it a couple of days to decide if I like it or not.:) I might even go in the other direction and paint it gloss black.:39:

I like the paint scheme. It shows up as a bit grayer/silverish compared to the body of the tank.

I like the paint scheme. It shows up as a bit grayer/silverish compared to the body of the tank.
Thanks. It's actually much closer to the same black as the rest of the tank. The lighting made it show up more gray just because of the sheen.

I've been waiting until after I painted the frame to take a picture of the tail light. It's a small LED flashlight that happened to perfectly fit the tubing in the center of the rack. I took the bulb out and painted it with Duplicolor red anodizing paint. The light turns on and off by pressing it in.

The red light was difficult to get a photo of, but it looks more red in person.
tail%20light_zpscye7qord.jpg

For some contrast, I painted the center tube of the rack semi-gloss black.

I wasn't planning to take pics of this, but I had to laugh at myself for taking ten times longer to over mask the frame than it did to paint this one tube. :21: An ounce of prevention... etc. etc.

Rack%20Tube_zpszumhjmgv.jpg

One other thing on that brake. Since it was a rear you might want to flip the pads. Sometimes they are directional.

That tail light is cool!.....but where's all the shiny stuff?...:p

Thanks ya'll.
Chad, that's good advice on the brakes. I did reverse them already but I appreciate the heads up just the same.

With all of the cool tire and wheel combos out there, my 700c tires seem a bit puny. But I'm happy to report that I have my new tires ready to go! One more puzzle piece checked off. :)
tires_zpskdpcmbae.jpg

Latest posts

Back