Comfortable (even custom?) banana seat?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know of a banana seat that is wide enough and padded enough to actually be comfortable for an adult? I'm thinking maybe like a wider pan (sort of like on my '71 Manta Ray) and thicker foam - maybe even someone who custom builds them? I'd love to ride some of my 20" and 24" muscle bikes, but they're murder on the old backside after a block or so...

I think most would agree with that . May have to have one made . Not sure who though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking Ichi bike's seat too. However, I'm going to be trying my hand at repadding and possibly widening a 2-piece panned banana seat of my own by adding some 'cheeks' for my cheeks, like the Manta Ray

If it's wide like a standard comfortable seat, it'll cause chafing if you keep to the banana seat design. I've ridden heavily padded ones, and it's the same result as the regular ones. Your sitting bones are usually wider than the seat.

Agreed, that's why I'm playing with widening the 'seat' area primarily. Basically, if I could graft in a cruiser pan without it looking 'goofy', ya know?
I too, would like to see if anyone else has accomplished this 'holy grail'.....[emoji38]

It may look like it would cut you in half, but this is surprisingly comfortable:

PC120092.JPG

Luke.

The problem is that the shorter the cushion, the higher the necessary density, and there's not enough room to really pad it. That said, you could look into the kind of foam they use for kayak seats.

http://www.clcboats.com/shop/products/boat-gear/kayak-seats-foam/minicell-closed-cell-foam.html

It's a closed cell foam that can be easily cut and shaped and is OK in a kayak for short terms. On a bike, it might be better as your weight is also supported by the pedals and—possibly—the handlebars.

Very interested in this thread. I've been considering a build using a banana seat and almost everyone here says banana seats are uncomfortable as all get out.

I've been considering an Ichi seat but haven't yet seen feedback/testimonials from anyone who actually owns one...

I'm guessing one with really nice padding (from the pictures I've seen, they appear tapered, wider in back narrowing towards the front) combined with a shock absorbing seat post and sissy bar, might be an option to make it tolerable for short rides ?

That and the fact that they're made from wood (skateboard) and not a metal pan...

I have one of the fat banana seats, but I haven't ridden it enough to have any input. I do know that @Joe Conde has an upholsterer in the Phillipines building up banana seats for their club. Those things look plush and cushy!! You might contact him for some input.

IMG_20141119_142320.jpg

I once added 3 inches of couch cushion foam to a seat I recovered, it looked all plush but it didn't take long before it got uncomfortable.

I like the idea Dr.T has, but not sure how it would look.

Hmmm...that Fat Banana looks like it might be worth trying. Thanks for that, JSparks, I hadn't heard of them before.
And Doc, if you come up with something that works with your Frankenseat idea, please let me know! :grin:
Thanks, guys!

I rode a banana several miles this weekend, and it wasn't uncomfortable until the last mile of the cruise, and even then it was bearable. Note, I still ride a narrow racing saddle on my upright bikes, so my butt is used to a narrow platform.

Has anyone tried to make a leather hammock-style, like a Brooks? I imagine it would need to be helped by ties all along the sides and it would need some pretty stiff leather to make up for the length, but it's another option, maybe. A standard seat could probably even be used to mold the shape in the leather.

looking to recover the naner on my chopper someday. Don't know what it was off of, it was white with a red and blue stripe. Maybe something from the 70's. Seems to ride just fine like it is. Maybe a thin firm pad would be nice.

Attachments

• chopper.jpg
    chopper.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 317
here is my over stuffed banana seat, that was actually pretty comfy... didn't ride it too far .....5 miles? maybe. Sold it awhile ago

Latest posts

Back