Converting Tank Lights to LED

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I haw this really sweet cruiser that I’m trying to fix up. The tank lights are giving me a problem. Has a 1E7 light that I don’t think is made anymore. Anyhow there is a compartment for two D batteries but I can’t get it to work even when bypassing the switch. Anyone out there ever done this conversion? Was thinking two AA battery packs running the wires to the tank mounted switch but how would I get current to the LED lights?
7f7d130b7464a8eb792973770494ca99.jpg

2dcb204fda3f6cd6ed5130ac2aa526c6.jpg

4645b3aadebc4cbf932be7ead0e6c9d6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you asking how to wire the circuit or why it isn't working? For the circuit, run your positive to one leg of your switch and another wire off the other leg to a splice where you combine all the positive leads for the lights, then take all the ground leads from the lights together and splice them with a single lead going back to the negative side of your battery pack. That will give you a parallel wiring for the lights, which will power them at the rated power of your battery pack, and that you want to match the rating of your LEDs (if you're only going to use two AA batteries in series—mounted in the typical back-to-front fashion to each other—to get 3V, you want 3V LEDs or you could do four AAs in series to use 6V LEDs or two packs of two series-wired AAs wired to each other in parallel to run the 3V LEDs longer, etc.).

If you're having problems with the circuit, make sure connections are all good, the switch works, and that the LEDs are rated for the voltage you're using (sometimes you think things are secure, but they're just pretending and laughing at your frustration.). If you're using some cheap no-name connectors from a populous land of great history and tea far overseas, don't assume polarity—I got some DC connectors for the li-ion packs I use and after some cursing and head-scratching, I realized that they were opposite to convention. Then I did it again a year later when I wired up another bike because I forgot.

I have used some LED replacements from a guy at DRACO products.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Epistar-LE...A-for-3-Cell-NiCad-NiMH-3-3-4-4V/232215786676
I first purchased the cheapest (~3v) bulbs, because of the experimental nature of what I was doing. The seller stated that those bulbs are pen-lights, and to be sure that their brightness met my needs.
The same seller and others offer higher wattage LEDs, but they need higher volts, more batteries. The seller offered an adapter that fits 3 AA batteries in a housing that mimics a D-cell in fit. Three times 1.5v = 4.5v, times two again = 9 volts (bright).
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cree-LED-5...acement-5-30-VDC-22A-for-4-Cells/232320544941

Want to switch from 2 D batteries side to side to 3 AA for each light 6 total. What is the name of these battery kits? Saw them once and cannot for the life of me remember what they are called

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Battery Adapter.
One source: https://www.ebay.com/itm/331890024488 (1-each).
1 SERIES - Battery Adapter - Converts 3 AA Cells to 1 D size - outputs 4.5V USA

If the Huffy Galaxie light fixture electrically connects the 2 "D" batteries in parallel, two adapters would work out to 4.5 volts. If the fixture electrically connects the 2 "D" batteries in series, two adapters would work out to 9 volts.

Latest posts

Back